What keyboard do you use for playing games?

Discussion in 'Mice and Keyboards' started by dredune, Oct 8, 2017.

1. dredune

dredune n00bie

I play WoW most of my free time and I need a special keyboard. Which one do you recommend? Thanks

2. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard [H]ard|Gawd

Ducky One tenkeyless. If you need lots of macro/function type keys, Corsair makes some mechanical boards that fit the bill.

3. auntjemima

auntjemima 2[H]4U

I have a Razer Deathstalker. It has software to run macros and bind them to the key combos you want. Has some game mode to prevent the Windows and other special keys from activating.

I don't use these functions, but they are there.

4. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

I don't use Macros so the keyboard I have now is the Corsair K65.

5. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

For FPS games I use my G13 keypad, for games like Diablo 3 I use my G910 Spectrum.
    IMG_1042.JPG

Wyodiver likes this.
  6. TurK-FX

TurK-FX 2[H]4U

I tried many different keyboards, but I settled with Corsair K70 rapidfire. It is very good keyboard. Only thing I dont like is it has 3 non-standard keys, so I cant use my custom keycaps.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod [H]ardness Supreme

I'm a sucker for gaming keyboards. I like the backlighting and the extra features that keyboard purists turn their noses up at.

Biggest thing will come down to which switch you like best. I kinda like them all for the most part but Cherry Reds are my favorite. I have a few keyboards and go back and forth between them every few weeks to switch things up. The Corsair K70 best of all. I wish I'd opted for the RGB version though because the red backlighting is a little hard to read sometimes. I'm currently using the Logitech G710+ and really like it. As much hate as it gets, the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate with Cherry Blues is my 2nd favorite keyboard.

8. Commander Shepard

I tried the new Silver Speed switches on my new Ducky. Best I've ever used.

9. TurK-FX

TurK-FX 2[H]4U

For some reason, Black widow feels off when I switched off to it. It has a different spacing or something, I was not able to get used to. For gaming, Cherry MX blues are the best in my experience. Especially if you are playing games like Starcraft 2 or any macro/micro oriented game. The clicky noise puts you in the zone, and your fingers glide thru the keys in a harmony. Cherry MX red is the second best for gaming. I use MX black at work. I used to have the blues, but a couple of coworkers complained due to noise, so I had to switch to MX black. If you put a silencer o-rings with MX blacks, it is almost quite.

10. Commander Shepard

11. Wyodiver

Wyodiver [H]ard|Gawd

I use a Logitech G510s. I actually like it a lot, but for what I paid for it I could have got a mid-range mechanical. When this one dies I will definitely get a tenkeyless mechanical. I've come to realize that I just don't need a huge "gaming" keyboard.

12. atarione

atarione [H]ard|Gawd

For going on 3~yrs now... Filco MT2 TKL (mx-reds, dampers and Vortex PBT double shot keycaps) not cheap but flawless for years now...I don't play and mmorpg games however .. pretty much only FPS. The TKL form factor works well for me as it put less distance to mouse which has caused less wrist strain / pain. No gamer nonsense, no LEDs , no macros... just well built TKL w/ costar stabs (makes sense as Costar is the OEM).. perfect for me.. the stock Filco key caps are garbage however and that is worth noting as it does make the value proposition of the Filco's worse. In my case I didn't care this is what I wanted, and I bought it... all in (keyboard , key caps , o-rings near about $200~ on this set up..

filcoTKL.jpg

13. BigFNDeal

BigFNDeal Limp Gawd

I am a Logitech fan boy, I admit it. (Admission is the 1st step). At home I use a Logitech G910 Orion Spark and when at LANs or meetups I use the Logitech G Pro. I am mostly playing Ghost Recon Wildlands right now, but I am also playing Hellbound and Fortnite Battle Royal. Pictured is my home setup.

[​IMG]Untitled by Shap, on Flickr

14. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg Gawd

I use a Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 with Green Switches (Cherry Blues). But I'd like to go ahead and get a Razer Chroma X with Yellow Switches (Cherry Speed/Silver).

I like being able to pull the keys off and more easily keep the damn thing clean.

Although, I really like not having to use a function key to do simple things like Mute Volume... so Corsair K95 might be in my future. I don't know. My OCD might take over and since everything else (except headphones) is a Razer product (See Signature) I might stay with them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  15. Commander Shepard

I highly recommend the Cherry Silver switches. They're so easy and responsive for gaming. Even a terrible typist like me does pretty well typing with Silvers.

16. danyune

danyune Gawd

I've used ducky, das, corsair, etc. Also have used blue, green, black, brown, and red switches

My favorite brand is Ducky, favorite caps are Blue

Favorite overall keyboard is the Ducky Shine 4 w/ MX Blues

17. viivo

viivo Gawd

Corsair K95 with 18 macro keys. The only game I play is an MMO and I can't imagine ever going back to a keyboard with 6 or fewer dedicated macro buttons.

corsair-vengeance-k95-m95-keyboard-mouse-review-3.jpg
    (not my picture, just illustrating the layout and awesomeness)

18. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

I still use the original Logitech G15 keyboard. While it may not look as nice as this, but it has held up perfectly over the last 13 or so years!
    [​IMG]

19. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

standard MS keyboard...the most important thing for me is that the arrow keys are on the bottom right (I prefer arrow keys over WSAD for movement), keys are fairly silent and it's black...fancy $300 'gaming' cough keyboards with flashing lights and extra screens and 'features' are totally useless...would rather put that $$ towards a new GPU or even monitor...

here's my keyboard...love it and bought a few extra ones as backup in case my current one gets too dusty/dirty or breaks...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007SXGJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 12:15 AM
  20. viivo

viivo Gawd

Did it really take this long for the "I don't even own a TV" post?

21. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Limp Gawd

I was using an IBM Model M but just built a new system and can't seem to get it working with a PS/2 to USB adapter and Windows 10. I picked up a Corsair K65 with MX Reds and I think I'm going to return it. The feature set is pretty nice but I don't like how small the board feels and the red switches aren't tactile enough.

At work I use a G610 Brown with o rings and it's pretty nice, so I may pick up another to replace my Model M.