What It’s Like To Work At Snapchat

HardOCP News

[H] News
The only thing that keeps going through my head as I read this article is "this company is worth $25 billion?" This is not the most flattering article on the planet, especially considering the company is supposedly prepping for that massive IPO.

A top-secret Snapchat team had swooped in overnight and taken over the office, de-activating the keycards of the current tenants in the process. The secret newcomers eventually allowed their colleagues back into the building and partitioned the space, while a third group of Snapchat engineers that was scheduled to move into the same building that morning was left to keep working on plastic tables in a crowded, barely renovated house.

Last edited:
Not a very flattering place to work. CEO sounds like he is trying to create the sense of importance.

Not a very flattering place to work. CEO sounds like he is trying to create the sense of importance.

This is normal for 90% of corporations. Cutting costs = more profit = higher stock price = more return on CEO's stock options. Who cares if the long term damage kills the company? It's the next guys problem.

I suppose if no one bugs you and you work in a small house, it might be better than Facebook's college CS lab style environment.

I don't think math is their executive board's strength. They project to do a bit over $300 million this year and 1 billion next year (I won't even question their 3x multiplier in revenue per year). But then they jump to a 25x multiple from their 2017 estimates for their valuation. Everyone thought Facebook was on crack when they announced a 19x multiple off of actual revenue. In small companies a 3x multiple is used and as you move into larger companies it get more complicated as future projects, name and other variables come into play. However, what does this company have other than an app? Those glasses? Google tried that and the blowback was huge, let's just see how people with even more obvious cameras on their face do. I may be wrong, although I rarely am, but those glasses will barely be blip on anyone's radar and the few instances of people using them will have a bad blowback that will be all over the news. Even if they are a huge success, they wouldn't even come close to bridging to that valuation, let alone that $1 billion in revenue for 2017.

again another company with no product acting as if i has something special..., in all honesty a few people could work here and thats it, i dont see a need for a "team" all i see here is "burning money"

It's time to take America's corporate culture, burn it to the ground, and start over. Why so much secrecy for an app that does....wait what does Snapchat do? I don't really care. Spiegel seems like a complete ass, he is driven around in a black Range Rover with a security detail? Why? Does he get death threats? And how much does that cost the company every year?

"Spiegel models himself on Apple founder Steve Jobs, whose portrait hangs in Spiegel’s office."

Ok well that explains a lot. So does:

"Instead of drawing from Silicon Valley’s deep pool of data-obsessed engineers, many Snap employees come from Wall Street or entertainment backgrounds. Others are friends of Spiegel’s from Stanford or Crossroads."

Also:

“Nothing happens there without Evan’s stamp of approval,” said the former exec. “Nothing.”

RED FLAGS ALERT ALERT.

Many insiders report feeling out of touch with the company’s mission or progress. Beyond vague statements like “building the world’s best camera” and making “communication more real and authentic,” there’s little-to-no communication inside Snap about what’s in the pipeline.

...and those are the insiders.

This douche of a CEO also is engaged to Miranda Kerr?

HA

Back