• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What Issues will I run Into with this build?

Joined
May 14, 2005
Messages
46
I am building as system with 2 or 3 HD's

Mobo
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136151

HD 1
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 73GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144160
HD 2
Maxtor MaXLine III 7B300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144363

If I go with a 3rd it will probably be another Raptor.

What type of issues might I run into?
Any particular set-up you would suggest?

I have built lots of computers but have been away from it for about 3 years.

Thanks!!
 
EqualizingForce said:
I am building as system with 2 or 3 HD's

Mobo
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136151

HD 1
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 73GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144160
HD 2
Maxtor MaXLine III 7B300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144363

If I go with a 3rd it will probably be another Raptor.

What type of issues might I run into?
Any particular set-up you would suggest?

I have built lots of computers but have been away from it for about 3 years.

Thanks!!

My reccomendation is this hard drive. It'll last a long time and be more quiet than the maxtor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148067
 
ZodaEX said:
My reccomendation is this hard drive. It'll last a long time and be more quiet than the maxtor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148067

I was going for Serial ATA150 and the 16 MB Cache.

Either way I may switch up the second HD (not ordering for about 2 weeks so I may change my mind).

Any other issues?

Oh yah OS will be
Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2
 
The 16MB of cache won't do you much good when working with movies and music, as those are typically linear reads and writes that stress raw sustained transfer rate over buffer size/speed/strategy. You may want to consider other factors, such as noise, warranty length, cost, etc in the purchase of a storage drive. I'm not saying the Maxtor is a bad drive by any means though - really, you won't go wrong with either of them.
 
Aother Question on this:

Mobo
DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136151

HD 1
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 73GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144160
HD 2
Maxtor MaXLine III 7B300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822144363
Floppy
SONY MPF920 Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16821103116
DVD Writer
PLEXTOR Black SATA DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827131329
DVD
SAMSUNG Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE CD-ROM Drive
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827151212

OK I have pretty much decided on the above: Thats 3 SATA 150 drives a DVD ROM ATA and a floppy.
HOW should I hook them up? Seems more complicated now than it used to be.

What If I went with a third HD, how would that change how you hook it up?
 
Hook your DVD reader up to one of the PATA ports, then Raptor on the first SATA port, Maxtor on the second, and the Plextor on the third. If you haven't looked into it already, verify that the Plextor SATA drives are compatible with your system's chipset.

Also, the DFI has two SATA controllers, you will want to use the first that is directly integrated into the MCP.
 
DougLite said:
If you haven't looked into it already, verify that the Plextor SATA drives are compatible with your system's chipset.

I read through the specs of the mother board and the Plextor - nothiing leads me to believe they will not be friendly. Can you give me some more insight?

Thanks
 
Back
Top