what is zonealarm doing?

blade52x

2[H]4U
So I got rid of NIS because it expired a month ago, and decided to use zone alarm as a replacement firewall.

Half the time I have zone alarm enabled, I cannot connect to the internet at all, and as soon as I shut it down, the internet works fine. Anyone know how to fix this? I checked over the program control and could find nothing that's being blocked.

Uninstalling it will fix your problem. Seriously, I installed it on several machines and all I had were issues.

Zone Alarm prevents issues, it doesn't solve them. Blame the problems you're having on not being aware of that.

You have other issues you need to resolve, and you could very well have a rookit manipulating your security.

Run Adware, Spybot, Windows Defender, and CCleaner, then post an HJT log in this thread.

Spybot only showed a few tracking cookies...

And HJT: (removed, prob fixed)

It's also weird because some website will load, and others just refuse to load (like this one for example). As soon as Zome Alarm is disabled, all sites load fine.

Edit: (and now this site is working with it enabled... however, when I load up another Firefox, google homepage won't load)

It's like hit or miss right now - very annoying.

So I got rid of NIS because it expired a month ago, and decided to use zone alarm as a replacement firewall.

Half the time I have zone alarm enabled, I cannot connect to the internet at all, and as soon as I shut it down, the internet works fine. Anyone know how to fix this? I checked over the program control and could find nothing that's being blocked.

What level of internet zone security do you have under your firewall options? If its high, try and set it to medium.

What level of internet zone security do you have under your firewall options? If its high, try and set it to medium.

*slaps myself on the forehead repeatedly* :eek:

Now it works. I didn't think that was the problem because everything was working fine yesterday with the setting on high (though now that I think of it I didn't browse much).

Me right now => :eek: (this doesn't really looked like an "embarassed" smily, but oh well)

Disable the adblocking of Zone Alarm. That's the only problem I've ever had with it.

Firefox has a great Adblock extension, with an auto-updater for filterset.g

Uninstalling it will fix your problem. Seriously, I installed it on several machines and all I had were issues.

Agreed, all i did was uninstall it and install Sygate Personal Firewall. Its excellent, it has never gave me any problems and has prevented many problems from happening. Sygate + NOD32 is great.

*slaps myself on the forehead repeatedly* :eek:

Now it works. I didn't think that was the problem because everything was working fine yesterday with the setting on high (though now that I think of it I didn't browse much).

Me right now => :eek: (this doesn't really looked like an "embarassed" smily, but oh well)

I had the same problem. Sometimes I could go a week with no connection issues, sometimes i would get them every hour. I was getting really annoyed. I changed that setting and it fixed it so i was like cool.

Back