What is your ping difference wired v wireless

turbominnow

Limp Gawd
I'd like to relocate my network equipment to some other place in the house. This would force me to run wireless on my main rig. For those of you who have made the switch to wireless are you

1. using a "gaming router"
and
2. What is the difference in your ping between wired and wireless?

The difference won't be much just dependent on the hardware's ability to translate quickly. Likely a difference of 20ms at most between a cheap wireless router and a wired gaming router. Remember, wireless and wired both move at the speed of light! The difference is mainly in how reliable your signal is, and in a house I would recommend wired since most don't need to move their gaming pc much.

I have used both but I use wired because of higher download speeds. In terms of gaming, bandwidth isn't important as long as you're not saturated with torrents while you play.

I went to wireless and it was a huge mistake. Keep with wires if you can, it's so totally worth the effort to carefully set some good ethernet cable down in your house to get to your computer.

If you must go wireless then it's all a matter of positioning. You'll want the router to be as close as possible to your PC and anything less than a perfect "Excellent" 5 bar connection will result in higher latency.

Routers are pretty good these days, even the cheaper ones. I'd recommend any half decent Linksys router, from my experiences with them they tend to be the best. My d-link one is crap, DI-624+ Avoid at all cost.

You should know that all wireless really does is introduce pain into your life.

Meh i used Wireless to play CSS on my laptop and used wired and didn't notice any difference whatsoever
granted i had 5 bars but you should be getting 5 bars anywhere in your house even with a cheap G router
unless you live in a mansion or something.

If your gaming in a FPS, go wired. If your gaming say WoW or EQ, wireless is fine. You only lose about 30-50 MS wireless.

I use netgear 802.11n wireless bridges and typically I ping 4-7ms higher than my brother who is wired when we play on the same servers. So it's not as bad as some people may have you believe.

I've never, under any hardware, 802.11b/g/n, pinged 50 ms higher over the past 5 years... FWIW

I've never noticed the difference between a gaming router and a regular router, wired and wireless setups. And like Neutraleyes said, the increase is small. If anything expect within a 10ms increase.

I hate linksys.

The difference between like a d-link wbr-2310 and the dir-655 is in the options. QoS and all that niceness. They can also handle more connections with better throughput.

I use netgear 802.11n wireless bridges and typically I ping 4-7ms higher than my brother who is wired when we play on the same servers. So it's not as bad as some people may have you believe.

I agree. My brother can play on his computer with a wired connection to the router and I can play on wireless-N and we get nearly the same pings on the same server. My brother might only have a couple of milliseconds of ping lower than me in games like BF2. The difference is so minimal that it's impossible to notice.

I'd like to relocate my network equipment to some other place in the house. This would force me to run wireless on my main rig. For those of you who have made the switch to wireless are you

1. using a "gaming router"
and
2. What is the difference in your ping between wired and wireless?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127243

get that router and you will be good to go. it is a little bit pricy but how often do you buy a new router? might as well get one that works and will last a long time. :D

Back