What is your Must Play RPG List for PS2/PS1

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hello,

Was just wondering what everyone's favorite RPG for the PS2 and PS1.

Here is a few that I think everyone should at least try:

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Arc of The Lad Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)
Xenosaga (PS2)

The ones that i have played and are my favorites are:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

Others that were "ok" are:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

I bought my PS2 just for Final Fantasy 10 and it really wasn't that great. I'm glad i got the PS2 but sad the game didn't measure up to what i expected. The graphics were a nice improvement to Final Fantasy 10 but it just wasn't the adventure that Final Fantasy 8 and 9 brought to the table. Final Fantasy 9 is my all time favorite of the series. I think Square is trying to get too modern with the final fantasy series. The whole "water" theme and Blitzball was sorta dumb. And it was alot more linear then the others in the series.

Star Ocean 2 isn't nearly as popular as it ought to be. The Suikoden games are also good, but they're getting hard to find these days. Xenogears is terribly overrated but you probably should play it to see what the fuss is about.

Yeah, I have to agree with FFX. The only thing I like about it was the graphics. The storyline and especially the main character blows. Cloud and Squall are way better than that Tidus guy. So you are saying FF IX is pretty good? I have not played that one yet.

I played Suikoden III, but was not really into it. The graphics were to childish, I dunno.

Xenogears I should try, I have heard many things about that game.

I can't wait for Star Ocean 3 for the PS2. How is the 2nd one?

Star Ocean 2 is really good. I can't wait for the third. Another really good one is Lunar. It's pretty old-school in style and the graphics aren't fantastic, but the storyline and characters are great. Lunar 2 was pretty good, too, but just not as good as the first.

Originally posted by Chelica
Yeah, I have to agree with FFX. The only thing I like about it was the graphics. The storyline and especially the main character blows. Cloud and Squall are way better than that Tidus guy. So you are saying FF IX is pretty good? I have not played that one yet.

Final Fantasy 9 just seemed to fall togethor really well for me. The story line was alot better and there were lots of weapons and clothes to use in the game. Final Fantasy 9 looks alot more like the new Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles cause they were more like kids instead of hormone raging teenagers in Final Fantasy 10 lol. The little black mage Vivi was one of my favorites in the game :).

Originally posted by TheMostWantedPolishTwin
I don't play RPGs :p
...although I'm going to get the Fallout Brotherhood of Steel :D

That game is not bad at all. It plays like Hunter the Reckoning Wayward but with some RPG packed into it.

The Lunar series, how does that play? Is it like a Zelda type of RPG or like an FF type of an RPG?

FF7 and FF9 are must plays.... FF8 was boring as hell, so i don't reccomend it

Kingdom Hearts is also very good, although more action RPG oriented

FFX and X-2 are decent

Wild Arms series is fun

Suikoden series is good (although i haven't tried 3 yet)

Dark Cloud was supposedly good (haven't tried it yet)

and I loved the King's Field series, but it's a FPS RPG that most other people don't seem to enjoy... pity

Originally posted by illig
FF7 and FF9 are must plays.... FF8 was boring as hell, so i don't reccomend it

I'll have you know i spent an entire summer playing Final Fantasy 8 :p .

As with most games it does get boring after a while. But when i first got it i couldn't stop playing it. After you have went through the game a few times then it doesn't have as good of replay value as some of the other Final Fantasy series. But for someone that hasn't played it then i would definately recommend it cause its one of the top in the series and if your a Final Fantasy fan like i am you would miss a big part of the series history if you dont play it through at least once.

I agree with BG101, Final Fantasy VIII is really good. It was artistic in a really good way. Seriously tho, Gunblade? Now that is tight!

FF9 is one of my favorites. The game just kept you interested until the end, except for a few spots.

FF8, a good game, good story, but the magic and leveling system killed the fun in it. You have to steal magic from mobs before you can cast them?? Ugh. And the fact that the more levels you have, the tougher the mobs are. I got all the way to the end, to Edea, after a week of being unable to kill her, I gave up and downloaded the ending movie off the internet :D Then I started reading in FAQs to just run from all mobs and try not to level up.
I also have to give credit to FF8 because it was here that they finally got the spell names down pat :) Fire1, 2, 3 because Fire, fira, firaga, etc.

FFX is also one of my favorites, but for different reasons. This was their first time that they could actually deliver across voice, and add a new layer of emotions to a story. Yes, it had it's down moments, and confusing moments. Yuna's voice annoyed me at first, very monotone and sad... then near the end it made sense why. Just the voices added a new element of how people interacted with each other and their world. Many of the bravado players probably wouldn't like FFX much, but I enjoyed it. It was the first FF game to get me near tears (and yes, I'm secure with my emotions to admit that :D)

FFX-2 is, well, interesting. It's like a teenage Charlie's Angels view on Spira. It's not a pure RPG or a stand alone game, but it does make a good expansion onto FFX. However, what it does have going for it is possibly the BEST fighting system in any FF game, and probably any RPG I've played. A completely dynamic active turn-based system with preemptive strikes. It's an awesome feeling to see a coyote start to strike with Killer Fang, which immediately kills a party member, but right then Yuna fires off a shot and takes down the fiend in mid-stride, while Rikku and Paine do a simultaneous strike on another fiend.
I'm still in mid-play on this one.

Xenosaga is a really great epic game. If you want a good, catchy story, this has it. The side effect of that is HOURS of FMV to watch, which some people don't like, but I do. They claim 80 hours of game play, I finished it in around 55, and very anxiously awaiting the next one.

.Hack... IMO, rent before you buy. I bought the first. Very interesting story and layout, but it got old quick, very hack-n-slash, and constantly going through multiple menus in battles.

Chrono Cross (not Trigger, oops). Great game, for PS1. It is very involving though, and easy to get lost in, because you're traveling between two different dimensions of the same world (think Sliders). I never finished it, wish I had. I had gotten to the point where I was tracking down and killing dragons around the world. Climbed a large mountain on an island to fight one dragon, never could beat him, eventually gave up on the game. That was about two years ago. But, dangit, I want to know what's in that cloud!!

Legend of Dragoon: Another interesting RPG, for PS1. A unique, though very frustrating, battle system. The entire battle system is hitting X at precise times, and Square at other precise times, to make combo attacks. I never did finish this, though did get near the end where the dragon (and it has very UGLY and misfigured dragons) destroyed the northern ice city, then I went and killed it. Somehow lost interest around that time.

edit:
Kingdom Hearts, definitly a must play. It's more of an action game, with RPG elements. The gummi ship fliying is very annoying, and it was only on my second time playing that I figured out how to modify my ship. It has a lot of hack-n-slash, but keeps a good variety of enemies and fighting styles.

Xenogears is um... unique. The graphics are cruddy (even by PS1 standards) and there are some very mean glitches (game will sometimes freeze) If you can get past the graphics and occasional technical mishap, it has a long, long, complex story to tell that really requires a good working knowledge of psychology and religion to understand to its fullest. It also helps to play it through several times.

Another notable mention is Kartia. No one seems to have brought it up so far, but it's a turn based tactical game like Tactics, although not quite as good.

I just finished replaying Chrono Cross, and that is one game I can highly recommend that hasn't been mentioned yet. A lot of people don't like it because it takes too long to build up the story, and the fact that it is a departure from Chrono Trigger (over 40 playable characters to boot), but it's definitely worth a shot if you want a complex and "thinking" story.

One thing I would recommend is using an emulator to play your PSX games. I used ePSXe with an opengl plugin to get FSAA as well as 2xsai texture smooth and other nifty things. It made Chrono Cross very beautiful although it managed to bring my 9500 pro and Athlon 2400+ to its knees.

As everyone's already posted the FF's, I'll post a few besides them:

Dark Cloud 1 +2: Dark Cloud 1 was fun with it's Georama system, but I could see how some people could get boring with it, as there's 15 levels to a dungeon which all look the same internally(though a random level generator reduces the monotony somewhat). Dark Cloud 2 enhances the Georama system, the dungeons, and other things.

Legend of Legaia: I have a demo of the second, which I played awhile ago, but I don't the full second game. I do, however, have the first. This is a very neat game, with a good storyline. It has a unique storyline, and an interesting battle system.

Shadow Hearts: It's storyline is unique, with pretty good graphics and a 'timed' battle system. You have SP, which stands for something, and it decreases by 1 point every turn. If you don't kill the enemies before it reaches 0, your characters go berserk and tend to use all your items except the ones that cure them. Besides that, it's a fun game.

Legend of Dragoon: I liked it. Can't seem to get past that dragon that attacks the city and then you fight it on the mountain, but what I played from it was fun.

With PSX games, I do use EPSXE to play them. I can actually see some of the faces of the characters. It was weird. When I play it on the PS2, I can barely see what the hell was going on, the graphic was a turn off. But really, for those who are picky with graphics and how the game looks as much as how it plays, use the PSX emulator on your PC and prepare to be amazed.

I LOVE Legend of Dragoon. Got it for $1o bucks used, a very good deal since it is one of the best RPG ever. The battle system IMO is pretty cool.

I tried Chrono Cross but never really got into it. The game is huge, you can basically go anywhere.

For those who have beaten Xenosaga, how was the ending like? I am prolly 30 hours into it, so not too bad, but I stopped. Totally forgot what I am suppose to do. When the 2nd one comes out, I will prolly try to finish it so that I can jump into the 2nd installment.

Chelica: The ending of Xenosaga was very good. I can't remember all of it, but there is a nice scene where it touches on everyone in the game, as they comment about the expected episode, really prepares you. There are some brand new names thrown around at the end, and some small statements that leave you wanting. I don't want to give too much away.
Where are you in the game. IMO, everything from the attack on the Kukai foundation and on has some great scenes and plot twists.

With PSX games, I do use EPSXE to play them.

Is EPSXE the best or the ONLY emulator for PS1 and PS2 games? Sorry im not much up on the emulators but i would like to try one out.

Any negatives for useing an emulator on PC instead of PS2?

Rurik: But the ending on Part 1 has some type of a resolution right? Or does it just leave you hanging? I forgot which part I am at exactly. I am in that new town tho. I think is that part after Ziggy went and snuck into that base station and had to fight that main bad guy. LOL, not sure you know what I am talking about.

How many installment is there suppose to me?

IIRC, Xenosaga is supposed to be 6 episodes.

And you're very early in the game. There is very little resolution. You have 10 questions answered, while 20 more are asked :D

6 Episodes???? OOO man, what the, I did not know it was that long. They are going to finish it on PS3 huh? I doubt that they will have all 6 Episodes made for the PS2.

Yeah, I am very early in the game. I take my time so that is prolly why.

You know which part I am really interested in? The story behind that guy with White hair. Forgot his name tho.

Pretty much the entire FF series. Tactics included.

Xenogears(ps1)
I didn't dig Xenosaga too much.

Star Ocean2(ps1)

You know which part I am really interested in? The story behind that guy with White hair. Forgot his name tho.

chaos? (Don't know why they insist on keeping his name lowercase) Unfortunately, you don't learn anything about him in the first episode. You kind of get some ideas when they explain who Gaignun/Gaignun Jr (L'il Master) are.

OOO okay, I saw some screenshots a while back on episode 2 and Junior looks older, so that is pretty cool.

I remember another game that is a must play. VAGRANT STORY!

Man I can't bealive no one mentioned Soul Reaver 1 or 2, always enjoyed playing those.

Originally posted by Rurik
IIRC, Xenosaga is supposed to be 6 episodes.

And you're very early in the game. There is very little resolution. You have 10 questions answered, while 20 more are asked :D

Xenosaga was the first episode, there is another Xeno game coming out for PS2 which is the second episode, and Xenogears was the fifth episode.

Soul Reaver, I tried it, never got into it. I have Defiance but have not started that one yet.

As for Xenosaga, so basically, after the 2nd one comes out, there will only be 3 left? That's not bad.

Grand Theft Auto III, and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City are good if you consider those RPG...

^^^^
Ummm, no. Most people wouldn't consider the GTA series an RPG.

I remember another game that is a must play. VAGRANT STORY!

I really enjoyed Vagrant Story but it eventually pissed me off. I got to the first major dragon about 8-12 hours into it and could never beat it. The ability to create and combine weapons was awesome. I had a kick ass weapon for each type of monster. When I am old and senile, I plan to spend my days replaying all of the games I could never beat or gave up on.

You should really play Vagrant Story on your EPSXE, it is great. The better graphics makes the game twice as fun. Yeah, the first major dragon was a tought one to beat. I like how they set up the battle system tho.

Back