What is your favorite game opening?

LordJezo said:
Metal Gear Solid 2 was pretty snazzy with the GW bridge bit.

Funny when I read the title of your thread thats the second game that came to mind for me and my number one pick.

The first one was Omhunisha warlords (however you spell that) the first one in the series. Both games made by Konami now that I think of it.

Worthy of mentioning: Xenogears and Xenosaga, FF VIII, and Silent Hill (i think im the only person that I know that had the balls to finish off that game...)

The max payne games have had a very good opening to them imo.

I just like the noir'ish style of em.

Hl1's train ride is up there aswell.

I'm the Dude said:
I usually like to open with e4. King's Pawn type game. On defense, I like the Sicilian.

Funny and bad at the same time., but it fits too! :p

Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 both have great openings. F2s still makes me laugh every time I see it.

Dawn of War was the most recent one that I can think of that I really thought was badass. Gives me that little tingle of excitment inside (especially when the mech shows up and lays waste to the Orcs) every time I see it.

csims said:
Funny and bad at the same time., but it fits too! :p

I like when that happens.

As to computer games, dunno. Call of Duty was pretty cool. I especially liked the soundtrack. Made it seem more cinematic.

HL2 intro could have been even more awesome if it was a bit longer, but I still dug it a lot.

Another vote for Mechwarrior 2

That intro gave me chills how good it was *especially for the time*
The music was cool too.

Good classic one was Ninja Gaiden (nes)

Netrat33 said:
Good classic one was Ninja Gaiden (nes)

Ooo.. forgot all about that one!

But yeah, classic. Everytime I ever see two guys jump in the air with swords I think of that opening. I was just playing Halo 2 this weekend with plasma swords and me and another guy jumped at each other over a stream and did a mid air swing. First thing that came to mind when we did was tha game.

Too bad I was the one who died.

Monkey Island 2

and a shout out to Sega CD Mortal Kombat's intro, with the awesome (and incredibly grainy) "MORRTTTALLLL KOMMMBATTTT" commercial.

Doom 2 is...oh wait, it didn't have an opening. Maybe because it didn't have a story :p

HL1- first time seeing open spaces in a game.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (NES, not the crappy SNES/Xbox remake. They absolutely killed the music.)
Interstate 76' ("We'll come back for the monster." "Her name is Eloise....") heh I love that part.
Final Fantasy VII (2 seconds after the opening, you're in a fight. All RPG's should start this way.)
Akumajou Dracula X (I dont know German, but theres nothing better than getting a Japanese game, and the opening is spoken German/subtiltled Japanese. Freakin SICK game. All the games I got this Christmas are being neglegted, screw 3D, THIS is where its at.)

I Love games.

I liked starcraft, CoD, RTCW, and UT2k3's when you start the single player thing. BF:V's was cool too.

Suikoden III had a mindblowing anime intro. It's too bad it's the only FMV in the entire game. :(

LeviathanZERO said:
Akumajou Dracula X (I dont know German, but theres nothing better than getting a Japanese game, and the opening is spoken German/subtiltled Japanese. Freakin SICK game. All the games I got this Christmas are being neglegted, screw 3D, THIS is where its at.)

Aaaaaah Yea! Forgot about that. I KNEW there was a castlevania that I digged the intro just could't remember. Awesome intro even though I don't know what is being said, I have a general idea of what's going on.

Netrat33 said:
Aaaaaah Yea! Forgot about that. I KNEW there was a castlevania that I digged the intro just could't remember. Awesome intro even though I don't know what is being said, I have a general idea of what's going on.

Theres a rough translation of all the Animated sequences here.
http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/drac-tra.txt

Demon Castle Dracula X
I just love how that sounds, this game is SICK.

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
seconded, man when that space marine captain screams it made my hair on the back of my neck stand up. I want to see a full length movie based in the wh40k universe...cg or la.

JEEVES
Thiced! Cept, for me it was at the end when he puts up the flag and all those drop pods come down. Sort of an epic feeling :D

I keep seeing COD but I don't remember the opening FMV for the game being impressive. Maybe I need to start a new game to refresh.

MG Solid - the opening integration sequence and submarine entry was bar far the best style meets substance intro yet.

Luthorcrow said:
MG Solid - the opening integration sequence and submarine entry was bar far the best style meets substance intro yet.

I hope you're talking about The Twin Snakes, since the original Metal Gear Solid doesn't show you Snake's actual entry, just his arrival at the underground warehouse.

Dephcon said:
Mechwarrior 2

It came with my IBM p120 back in '96, it totally blew me away.

"Ammunition, depleated" "Click, click, click" OWNED

And, you just made it sound dumb. :rolleyes: Another great intro was MechCommander 1.

Terpfen said:
I hope you're talking about The Twin Snakes, since the original Metal Gear Solid doesn't show you Snake's actual entry, just his arrival at the underground warehouse.
Nope, I am talking about Metal Gear Solid i.e. the first game for PS1. Are you saying that you don't remember the long underwater sequence with the music and credits prior to entry at the warehouse? The intergation might I have been in the logs but some reason I remember it as part of the intro.

Luthorcrow said:
Nope, I am talking about Metal Gear Solid i.e. the first game for PS1. Are you saying that you don't remember the long underwater sequence with the music and credits prior to entry at the warehouse? The intergation might I have been in the logs but some reason I remember it as part of the intro.

I forgot about that intro. That was indeed a great intro.

Zoramac said:
Any WingCommander - wish they would make a new one.

Wing Commander 4 was the best. The choose your own storyline was a little cheesy since you could win/lose. Prophecy just sucked, imo. Man, I still have the original cd's for III and IV. I played and lost I and II because they needed 386 era machines to work. Man, I even remember booting off of a dos disk to get the free base memory above 540 something :eek: .

The original Resident Evil on playstation one will always have the coolest opening cinema of any game in my opinion.

Chronicles of Riddick. Great CG work and very tense fight with whatever that thing was.

the fallout 2 opening..

there is something about listening to old 50's music and watching people emerging from a vault they've been in for ages only to get mowed down by a bunch of guys with miniguns. mm mmm.

>WP< $lipKnot said:
The original Resident Evil on playstation one will always have the coolest opening cinema of any game in my opinion.

heh, cue strange character movement and terrible voice acting...

(As the speaking character does The ROBOT)

"Barry...where's....Barry"

"Jill, can YOU go?"

But yeah, good FMV sequence!

>WP< $lipKnot said:
Hhmm. For me both the cinema and the game, RE2 - the best RE game with Code Veronica a close 2nd.

I liked COD the best but a while back Heroes of Might and Magic 3 had a awesome one for its time.

Back