• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What is wrong with the prices today

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
3,206
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PRICES?

right now I can't believe something like the asus 6800nu 256 megs DDR3 of memory and only $15 higher than a 6800GT. who, I MEAN WHO would buy one?

its close to the time that people QUIT paying the super high prices of these things and calm down...brag post of your card....why not hang a sign around your neck saying I am a dumb ass.

and the biggest problem is the (ati boys and on the other side the nvidia boys) telling the companies OH MAN you are THE GREATEST...don't innovate WE will keep buying the same old card, just make the old stuff a little faster and I will buy another every 3 months.

price, no problem I have to have the fastest so I can get my sign

sparks
 
The question you're basically asking is:

How can they charge so much for the new-generation of video cards?

The answer is:

Because they're selling them at those high prices as fast as they can make them!

There are always people who want the very best...the absolute top-of-the-line rig. Dual this, Quad that; it (almost) doesn't matter what it costs. Since they're having trouble producing cards in quantity, it makes sense to sell them at the best price you can get for them (as long as the "enthusiast-extremist" market can support it). Hell, looked onE-Bay lately? People are getting OVER retail for a lot of these cards...the manufacturers could charge a bit MORE
I look at it this way; here we are in late August-early September. Kids are going back to school. The ones with bux have the screaming rigs, and in the next few months, other people will see how wonderful they are. After a few months, the memory supply problems get ironed out; a few more chipsets and configurations are announced, the prices start to drop. After a hard semester at school, little Johnny comes home, and when asked what he wants for Christmas, he says "a 6800GT". I figure by then they'll be right around $300, and that's when I'm jumping in. YMMV
 
I think you answered your own question.

My biggest disappointment with the new video cards this year was seeing the prices newegg was asking for the cards. I lost some faith in them and have found new places lately to buy. Personally, I think newegg would have been better off to not even carry the new cards until they could beat the prices of places like Best Buy and CompUSA.

I realise that some people will say that newegg offered the cards to give people the option of atleast getting one. But to me they made themselves look greedy, even if they weren't making that much on the new cards.
 
sparks said:
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PRICES?

right now I can't believe something like the asus 6800nu 256 megs DDR3 of memory and only $15 higher than a 6800GT. who, I MEAN WHO would buy one?

its close to the time that people QUIT paying the super high prices of these things and calm down...brag post of your card....why not hang a sign around your neck saying I am a dumb ass.

and the biggest problem is the (ati boys and on the other side the nvidia boys) telling the companies OH MAN you are THE GREATEST...don't innovate WE will keep buying the same old card, just make the old stuff a little faster and I will buy another every 3 months.

price, no problem I have to have the fastest so I can get my sign

sparks

I'm not sure you understand where you are posting. :D
 
CoSWill said:
I think you answered your own question.

My biggest disappointment with the new video cards this year was seeing the prices newegg was asking for the cards. I lost some faith in them and have found new places lately to buy. Personally, I think newegg would have been better off to not even carry the new cards until they could beat the prices of places like Best Buy and CompUSA.

I realise that some people will say that newegg offered the cards to give people the option of atleast getting one. But to me they made themselves look greedy, even if they weren't making that much on the new cards.

The more I read stuff like this the more I think econ should be a manditory course for people to take. Yes newegg sold over the msrp but guess what, they still sold all the cards they had and quick. It is called supply and demand. If the supply isn't there and the demand is, then the price can be set higher and people will buy them.

Why should newegg sell the cards at a discount if people are willing to buy all the cards they have at a higher price?
 
sparks said:
its close to the time that people QUIT paying the super high prices of these things and calm down...brag post of your card....why not hang a sign around your neck saying I am a dumb ass.

How about you figure out a way to make a point or pose a question without Flaming people.
 
Shieze said:
The more I read stuff like this the more I think econ should be a manditory course for people to take.

And spelling, too?

*cough*
mandatory
*cough*

Anyway, I agree. What do people thing Newegg is, a charity? They are a business, they exist to make money. They have found, for the most part, the way to do this is to buy parts in bulk for cheap, sell them direct to customers without having to stock things in the volume Best Buy does or maintain the staff they do. Ergo, they can have lower prices.

That doesn't mean they HAVE to. I mean, look at it this way. At the prices Newegg is SELLING the cards at, their stock vanishes within hours of it going on sale. If they sold it for MSRP, when nobody else is, people would just sit on their page hitting refresh over and over and crash their server.

They HAVE to meet the competition's prices just to keep their stock around for a few moments, and if they make extra on it, well good for them - they are a business, that's their goal.
 
I wish I could find out what is the cost price for these high end cards, what does it cost ATI or nvidia to make them, and then what is their profit when they sell them for those crazy prices to the public......hehehe I wish i can see one of them fall of the delivery truck ;)
 
The more I read stuff like this the more I think econ should be a manditory course for people to take.

I thought this was required in high school? People are just a bit dense when it comes to business and business practices.
 
I think theres a lot of people out there who believe no one can make money except themselves.
 
I realise that newegg is a business, supply and demand and all that, but they had a reputation of selling hardware cheaper than most with excellent service to boot.

I have used newegg for a few years and was confident about getting the best price available to build machines. Now I just look at them as another source for parts.

Does it really make sense to lose sales in other areas to make a quick buck in one?
 
Big resellers like Bestbuy, CompUSA and newegg are probably paying around $320 +- per card and selling them for $80-120 gross profit.

No I dont mean yucky profit, I mean before overheard, etc..

Anyway, with supply easing up, Im sure prices will start coming down.
 
sparks said:
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PRICES?

right now I can't believe something like the asus 6800nu 256 megs DDR3 of memory and only $15 higher than a 6800GT. who, I MEAN WHO would buy one?

its close to the time that people QUIT paying the super high prices of these things and calm down...brag post of your card....why not hang a sign around your neck saying I am a dumb ass.

and the biggest problem is the (ati boys and on the other side the nvidia boys) telling the companies OH MAN you are THE GREATEST...don't innovate WE will keep buying the same old card, just make the old stuff a little faster and I will buy another every 3 months.

price, no problem I have to have the fastest so I can get my sign

sparks

You're Not [H]ard

I PAID 462 for my BFG6800GTOC cause i wanted it the next day
hehe
i paid for the next day air shipping
ordered it on a thursday, and got it on a friday...yes i am a[H]ardcore enthusiast :D :D :D


and the biggest problem is the (ati boys and on the other side the nvidia boys) telling the companies OH MAN you are THE GREATEST...don't innovate WE will keep buying the same old card, just make the old stuff a little faster and I will buy another every 3 months.

only ATI has done this. Only nVidia makes new core's and puts in newer tech for the gamers and game making companys. either way, it's people like me no matter if your ati or nVidia. we will buy the latest gen for braging rights and to play games with everything on...
 
Some people have the money to splurge. I remember I spent almost 400 on my video card way back in the day. Since then I've set limits on how much I'll spend on a part. No way I'd spend that much on a video card now. But I guess for some people it's their life. So if games are life? Why go through life in low resolution?

Of course we all have to remember the best is only the best for a few months. Who are you trying to impress guys?
 
CIWS said:
How about you figure out a way to make a point or pose a question without Flaming people.


I agree with CIWS. How about making a real contribution. There is a real differnece between someone who can afford the very best no matter what the cost and a dumb ass. In fact most people who can afford the best did not get thier financial status by being a dumb ass


You are out of you league and instead of doing something about it your bitter. I suspect you have some misguied sense of entitlement. The world does not revolve around you. I think its apparent who the real dumbass is. I suggest you go play in another sand box.
 
jacuzz1 said:
I agree with CIWS. How about making a real contribution. There is a real differnece between someone who can afford the very best no matter what the cost and a dumb ass. In fact most people who can afford the best did not get thier financial status by being a dumb ass


You are out of you league and instead of doing something about it your bitter. I suspect you have some misguied sense of entitlement. The world does not revolve around you. I think its apparent who the real dumbass is. I suggest you go play in another sand box.

Wow let's teach the flamer a lesson by flaming him. This thread should probably close.
 
Trinz said:
Wow let's teach the flamer a lesson by flaming him.


I dont know that my post qualifies as a flame. IF it does then I apologize to the group. I am on heavy pain meds and my view of reality is somewhat skewed
 
[RIP]Zeus said:
only ATI has done this. Only nVidia makes new core's and puts in newer tech for the gamers and game making companys. either way, it's people like me no matter if your ati or nVidia. we will buy the latest gen for braging rights and to play games with everything on...
I guess those GF-TI series were brand new too...
 
I have never understood peoples arguments with how much cards cost. It may only cost ATI 20 dollars to produce the chip (just randomly made up number) but they still have to recoup the millions in R&D Costs as well. With video technology increasing in complexity with each generation these costs are going to keep increasing and someone has to pay for them. If you don't like it don't buy it.
 
I also can't figure out who would pay for what is essentially a GT with 4 disabled pipes when you can get a real 16 pipe GT for the same or less? Doesn't make sense to me..
 
Mutalys said:
Spoken like a true !!!!!!. I guess those GF-TI series were brand new too...

Jealous???

and so what if i can afford somthing you can't?
 
Shieze said:
The more I read stuff like this the more I think econ should be a manditory course for people to take. Yes newegg sold over the msrp but guess what, they still sold all the cards they had and quick. It is called supply and demand. If the supply isn't there and the demand is, then the price can be set higher and people will buy them.

Why should newegg sell the cards at a discount if people are willing to buy all the cards they have at a higher price?

I somewhat agree with you, about the econ, but at the same time, a lot of places are still managing to sell video cards for retail. I bought mine a month after they are released and got it for MSRP.. Free shipping etc. It was a great deal, but I STILL see newegg with $450+ x800's and almost all of them are in stock. That still doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me. Maybe they are getting them for more than they want and are asking a little more to compensate perhaps? I don't know, but whatever it is, 500 bucks for an x800 pro is insanity, as with a GT.
 
dderidex

maybe I need to go buy a dictionary instead of a new video card.
OK no problem wheres my sign LOL


the person that said I was jealous of them being able to buy a new video card.
Well I can buy anything I want....literally ANYTHING...but an A screwing aint on my list. :)



===========

my problem is not just newegg its all the places in general.
NO they are not a charity.
Supply and demand...NO its the demand of idiots that will pay tooooooo damn much for old technology. just to tell someone WOW I get 3 frames per second better than you or 4 frames a second better than my last card. (which I purchased 4 months ago) MAN I am only out $2000 this year to gain 7 or 8 frames a second.

As long as people will pay this I don't blame the manufactures or the sellers for raping the people...ITS just a damn shame that you grab your ankles AND say thanks.
 
Is learn by there mistakes, and figure on boostng the next generation card
prices 15% more than what they would have gone for in a years time.
It's all about the hype,(what Nvidia and ATI can feed you )and freeing up just the right amount to the distributing resellers.when the cards come out ,in the
first few months.Like the man said supply and demand.And if you want it bad enough ,you will find a way to get the cash !
 
"Of course we all have to remember the best is only the best for a few months. Who are you trying to impress guys?"

I don't know if this counts as a flame, but it just came to mind when I read this. :D

You want the best and you got the best, the hottest rig in the land,[H]ard!!! ;)

I'm a gamer and if I could afford it (or at least be willing to pay for it), I'd be getting the best card as well. I'm happy with what I have now, but I haven't bought Doom3 yet either.
 
[RIP]Zeus said:
Jealous???

and so what if i can afford somthing you can't?
Zeus, having a high end video card doesn't make your pen0r bigger. I think when someone answers that 'Are you 13 years or older' question when registering with the forums, that the "No's" should be denied access.

If you would have read my post and were able to comprehend it, you would have realized I was referencing the TI series of card nVidia used for both series 3 and series 4 of the geforce. These were basically the same card with a few improvements. But YOU claim that nVidia doesn't do this. Whatever...

---------------------------
Edit CIWS
Trinz said:
This thread should probably close.

I agree, I think the topic is now simply going to generate problems. Thread closed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top