What is wrong with my vid card?

arock1_3

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a ATI Radeon 9200se install in my 6 year old son and we never had any problems with it until today that I went to play a game (Battlefield 1942) and while I'm in the main menu I have no problems but once I start playing the game is like in slow motion and the picture gets distorted. Now it also happens when I'm not playing meaning that is in the desktop but is not as bad. I checked the settings and nothing has been changed and I've played this game before in this pc and never had any problems, so I'm sure is not the game. I just downloaded the new drivers to see if that will fix the problem if not I have a feeling that the vid card is about to go. I just need some opinions in this problem.

Thanks,

arock

Could be the Vram on the card dying... Happens frequently to cards, especially 6 year old ones.

The problem is you have a 9200se, that is like being the stupid version of a idiot.

Anyway make sure that the clocks speeds are correct. Otherwise with a card like that you can replace it with a much better card for umder $100.

One thing that seems to fix alot for me is a format.

Before you go reformatting your hard drive might want to take the cover off and yard out all the dust bunnies, cat/dog, or other furry mammal fur, food, spiders etc. out of your fans, dust the case and try running with the cover off to see if it is just a heat issue.

Before you go reformatting your hard drive might want to take the cover off and yard out all the dust bunnies, cat/dog, or other furry mammal fur, food, spiders etc. out of your fans, dust the case and try running with the cover off to see if it is just a heat issue.

Heat issue from a 9200se? ive got one in an old machine and its passively cooled the damn thing never even gets warm to the touch.

Gonna have to agree with Arcygenical, sounds like vram to me. 9200 series was launched in 2003 not quite 6 years though

You could try reseating the card just in case but i would imagine its dying.

I have to agree I know is not the best of vid cards but at that time is all I could afford. I saw an nVidia GeForce 5200 with 256mb of ram for $85, what do you guys think.

Now is definitly is not a cooling problem since I have one fan on top and one at the bottom of the card plus 4 more cooling fans for the case. Maybe I have been pushing the card to much with this type of games. If there is a way to at least temporarily fix it that would be great until I buy another one if not we will just deal with it.

I have to agree I know is not the best of vid cards but at that time is all I could afford. I saw an nVidia GeForce 5200 with 256mb of ram for $85, what do you guys think.
You must not have a clue about video cards if you are even thinking about a 5200. Please dont buy that outdated pos. You can buy a 7300 or 7600 for just a few bucks more. ;)

You must not have a clue about video cards if you are even thinking about a 5200. Please dont buy that outdated pos. You can buy a 7300 or 7600 for just a few bucks more. ;)

Is not that I don't have a clue, is that I have been out of the loop for a loooooooooooong time and I don't know what's out there anymore.;)

Can you tell us what interface you have (i am guessing AGP) you have and how much you want to spend to replace it and I am sure the boys in here will get you the best you can get for the $$$.

Can you tell us what interface you have (i am guessing AGP) you have and how much you want to spend to replace it and I am sure the boys in here will get you the best you can get for the $$$.

Yes it is AGP. I found someone that is going to sell me one at a decent price, I believe is a 9700pro.

Back