What is wrong with B&W speakers?

johnb35

n00b
I had been reading about speakers and came across many negative post and reviews about B&Ws. It is kind of hard to understand why there is negativity... I do have a set of B&W Speakers, but looking for upgrade. Just wondering what others find displeasing about B&W sound?

Last edited:
I had been reading about speakers and came across many negative post and reviews about B&Ws. It is kind of hard to understand why there is negativity... I do have a set of B&W Speakers, but looking for upgrade. Just wondering what others find displeasing about B&W sound?
Sound is subjective. You won't get any speaker where 100% of people who use it love it. I have a pair of mackies for my pc and am perfectly fine with those.

Reactions: Niner
like this
I’m very partial to the 805s and 704s as I’ve heard hours of them. Without knowing which pair of B&Ws you have it’s really hard to recommend an upgrade. If you’re only considering an upgrade because of other people’s opinions, then you’re doing it wrong.

I have some B&W CM2's sitting around somewhere collecting dust. Never really tried mine.

The system they optionally put into the BMW 5 series is very good for its domain.

Personally, I think listening to music in Black and White is more moody, especially more subdued tracks. Modern music is best listened to in Colour, in my opinion.

I mean I think mostly they get crap because they are a popular high-end brand and it seems like people like to hate on popular things.

That said (as someone who has owned them), they don't tend to perform up to their price class. While there is subjectivity to what sound a person likes, a lot of that can be adjusted with EQ and there are some good objective measures of what makes speakers good and while B&Ws aren't bad, they usually aren't as good as they ought to be for what they cost. So people will throw shade at them because you can usually find something less costly that will do well.

But they aren't bad as in just produce bad sound. If you like them and choose to afford them they are fine.

Back