• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what is Vapor-X ?

StormClaw

Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
565
apparantely it's some kind of new cooling technology that makes cards run much cooler than with regular heatsink+fan

what i'd like to know is if there are any drawbacks to vapor-x cards?

say a regular 5870 vs a Vapor-x 5870 - which one is better?


I currently run nVidia in SLI but they run crazy hot and thus loud, so i've been looking into those vapor-x cards


any info / thoughs is greatly appreciated guys
 
The Vapor X is merely a proprietary heat-sink that Sapphire uses. You can read about how it works on their website.

Essentially Sapphire replaces the stock with their own setup, generally on cards they have upped the clocks on GPU and memory.

I have a VaporX 4890 and I have to say it is MUCH quieter than the plain Jane 4870 it replaced, if anything.
Now, it does run a few degrees warmer than the 4870 I had at the same fan duty cycle, but it is overclocked a bit as well.

In my limited experience, I don't think the VaporX is all-that, but the fan is much better than stock and very quiet.
What you will get for the money with the VaporX is a slightly improved Heatsink and quieter fan.
There will be limited if any difference in function of the card.....you may gain a few FPS due to the VaporX factory OCs.....but there will be no real performance gains. That said you probably can OC the VaporX card a bit more yourself due to improved cooling.

I'd go looking for the VaporX-Toxic 5870 2GB if you can find one.
 
Last edited:
The 5870 Vapor-X doesn't have voltage control. Go for a reference one and just grab an Accelero or something.
 
I just read a review of 5870 VaporX card: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5870_5750_vaporx/18.htm

They shows that the 5870 VaporX version slightly beats the referrencce 5870 card in FPS. And on top of that it runs much cooler and quieter.

It sound too good to be true. Why would anyone go for regular 5870 if the VaporX version has same performance and runs much more cool and quiet?

I'm f*cking sick of my current GTX285 SLI because it runs very hot (80+'C) and i have to run the cards on 100% fan speed which is crazy loud. VaporX 5870 in Crossfire sounds like a great alternative to me.



The 5870 Vapor-X doesn't have voltage control. Go for a reference one and just grab an Accelero or something.
I presume voltage control is needed for overclocking.
Well, my main concerns are heat and noise, which VaporX seems to tak care of. And I'm not a huge fan of overclocking anyway.
 
i bought a 2GB VaporX for £400, and if i split the £80 difference between the extra GB of memory and the excellent cooler, over and above the price of a standard 5870, it still seems like pretty good value to me given that i intend to run Eyefinity.
 
I'd go looking for the VaporX-Toxic 5870 2GB if you can find one.

Sounds like a kickass card based on this review here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...apphire-hd-5870-2gb-toxic-edition-review.html

Check out these temps vs 480 fermi. 69'C vs 95'C is awesome

HD5870-TOXIC-82.jpg
 
As I said, if you can find the 5870 VaporX-Toxic that is a great card.
Keep in mind the Toxic is OC to 925 thus the reason for keeping up with the 480s.

Why doesn't everybody have one??? Well the VaporX is proprietary and is generally released a month or two after the inital release of the card.
 
As I said, if you can find the 5870 VaporX-Toxic that is a great card.
Keep in mind the Toxic is OC to 925 thus the reason for keeping up with the 480s.

Why doesn't everybody have one??? Well the VaporX is proprietary and is generally released a month or two after the inital release of the card.

The only reason I haven't upgraded to the 480 SLI is because of the crazy temps that are reported everywhere - they run in the 90'C.


Do you think the Crossfire of 5870 VaporX-Toxic would run cooler?
 
Do you think the Crossfire of 5870 VaporX-Toxic would run cooler?

Definitely!

A cheaper option is Powercolor's 5870 PCS+ if you're not looking for an out-of-the box OC'd card.
 
The only reason I haven't upgraded to the 480 SLI is because of the crazy temps that are reported everywhere - they run in the 90'C.


Do you think the Crossfire of 5870 VaporX-Toxic would run cooler?

I'd really ask some of the guys who have 480 SLI what they are seeing for temperatures before running away to ATI.
Most of the posts I've read say the temps are not that high. That said, no one is yet running multimonitors with SLI and from what I've read that is when the temps really go crazy.

I'm sure the VaporX would be cooler than your 480 GTX, my Asus 5870 E6 models top out at 65C under full load with 45% fan cycles. My 5870 fans are pretty loud, and the 4890 VaporX I have runs nearly whisper quiet at 70% fan cycle when the computer is used for gaming.
 
The 5870 Vapor-X doesn't have voltage control. Go for a reference one and just grab an Accelero or something.

The new vapor-x is based on the new 5870. If you're lucky you can find a ref one on ebay. Otherwise go asus or msi. Possibly HIS as well, every site that has HIS cards appears to have the ref one.
 
apparantely it's some kind of new cooling technology that makes cards run much cooler than with regular heatsink+fan

It's not new, Sapphire has been doing it for a few years now. It utilizes a vapor chamber inside the heatsink, rather than a traditional hunk of copper/aluminum.

I have a Vapor-X 5870 and I love it. The thing is damned quiet and very cool.
 
I'd really ask some of the guys who have 480 SLI what they are seeing for temperatures before running away to ATI.

they are seing crazy temps and very loud sounds

hardocp did a review of 480 SLI, check the nvidia subforum to watch/read it
 
i bought a 2GB VaporX for £400, and if i split the £80 difference between the extra GB of memory and the excellent cooler, over and above the price of a standard 5870, it still seems like pretty good value to me given that i intend to run Eyefinity.

just been playing Dirt2 which came as a free Steam voucher in the box, awesome game, which makes the premium between my 2GB card and a reference card only £60 for twice the memory and an awesome cooler.

bargain as far as i'm concerned!
 
Vapor-X runs pretty damn cool on my 5770s in crossfire, the highest temp I've seen was during 3DMark Vantage when I OCed them both to 960/1415, and its peak was 56C. I do live in a bit cooler environment than most, but even in a warmer environment my friend's 5770 hasn't gone beyond 60C at 950/1385 running Vantage.

(I refuse to use furmark or kombustor, why heat your shit up that high?)
 
Back
Top