What is to come?

anths

Limp Gawd
I have been searching around and reading about everything that is coming out in laptops in the next year or so, some very very exciting things are happening. With the advent of dual core hopefully out by mid-2005 I am sure we will see them placed into desktop replacements quickly thereafter as well as integrating DDR2. Also with PCI-E being adapted to notebooks, upgradeable graphics are now easier than ever and will become extremely powerful due to the PCI-E architecture. What I have not found is anything besides the CPU, Memory and GPU upgrades happening. Are there any faster harddrives coming out, perhaps some faster spindle speed drives that utilize the SATA II interface with NCQ or are we going to be stuck with 7200rpm ATA133 drives for our laptops for awhile? How about new screens? With 12ms screens coming out this and next year and in large sizes for desktop usage, any chance of a nice new wave of lappy screens?

will see 12ms screens on the Desktop replacement segment

condisering the average 5.4k spindle speed on most HD's
sata with NCQ is likly the next upgrade
as it could make big advances in speed on the slower drives

DDR2 is only likly in the DTR segment
it uses more energy then DDR1 and with the latency involved
you have to use 533ddr2 to have the same speed as ddr1
and it costs alot more, so likly not to see it before 667mhz ddr2 is common

PCI-E is again a nice thing
but rigth now it really does not have the largest of advantages over agp
AGP allows for graphics upgrades in notebooks
its just uncommon because the interface is not standardised due to every notebook being designed diferently
replacement moduels will again only be redialy available in the DTR segment and even then it will be uncommon
its more of a marketing thing
laptops are seen as a comodity item that are not ment to be upgraded and just replaced completely (translation manu's == greedy bastards)

So basically the DTR segment is going to be getting a nice overhaul within the next 12 months or so but not regular notebooks; understandable but somewhat dissappointing. I have not read the specs or benchmarks on DDR2 yet so I was unaware that they used more energy. I was under the impression that it operates at a lower voltage? My main concerns currently are the slow harddrives and somewhat slow LCD response times. I currently use a 74Gb Raptor but even find it slow in some areas when comparing to 15k SCSI systems I work with on occassion. Id love for a form of SCSI to be adapted to notebooks but unless SaSCSI could be adapted somehow it seems like that will never happen!

On the topic of DDR2-667, I that not on the charts for the next year or is it further off? I thought 533 was being utilized at the end of this year and next year when dualcore comes out 667 was going to be used?

maybe it's just me, but it seems the features mentioned so far have little to do with the notebook computers main advantage: portability. i'd be more interested to invest in a thinner, lighter notebook that goes father on a battery charge, than one that has a wicked fast hard drive.

briguy, I agree with you but the DTR segment of the market is important in notebook development. Centrino 2 has been announced and should be coming out relatively soon and if I read The Register correctly a few days ago, Centrino 3 rumors are already leaking; both of which sound very promising. I am just concerned about the technology enhancements as far as speed are concerned. I can handle a larger notebook because that is what I am currently interested in and I realize that small, thing, ultra portable notebooks will never be able to have to speed of the cutting edge, large, bulky DTRs.

Back