What is the smallest MB?

SelRahc

Limp Gawd
I know alot of you are into the micro pc setups. I would like to know what the smallest MB out there is, as I may be looking for one soon for a mod. Onboard sound is ok. Onboard ethernet a plus. Onboard video a big plus, but it can have an AGP port just incase I would have the room for a card. I need this board as small as it can be though.

What does everyone recommend?

Also, if you could recommend a small PSU that would be great too. Something smaller than a normal PSU. I was thinking perhaps a modded laptop psu or something....

well flex atx and matx are the obvious ones

I'm wondering if anyone has a link to those little cube computers that were next to oranges and such from a year or so back. They ran a japanese version of linux or something.

As for psu's, there are the shuttle type psu's, 1u psu's, and smaller like 80 watt carputer psu's.

SelRahc said:
I know alot of you are into the micro pc setups. I would like to know what the smallest MB out there is, as I may be looking for one soon for a mod. Onboard sound is ok. Onboard ethernet a plus. Onboard video a big plus, but it can have an AGP port just incase I would have the room for a card. I need this board as small as it can be though.

What does everyone recommend?

Also, if you could recommend a small PSU that would be great too. Something smaller than a normal PSU. I was thinking perhaps a modded laptop psu or something....

Insight P4 ITX Motherboard

"Designed by VIA, Insight's P4 ITX integrated motherboard supports Intel Pentium 4 or Celeron Processors (478-pin) with a 533/400MHz Front Side Bus, and is Hyper-threading capable. Specifications: VIA P4N266A + VT8235 Chipset; 1 x PC2100 DDR DIMM slot; 1 PCI slot; S3 ProSavage8 AGP4X graphics with S-Video and TV-Out; 6 Channel VT1616 Audio; 10/100 LAN; Floppy Port; 2 x IDE Ports; 2 x USB 2.0; 2 headers for 4 additional USB ports; 170 x 170mm."

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=2#p1612

MD

what i'm really waiting for is the dual opteron SFF =). i think IWILL or some other company is coming out with it.

^see my link above. it's really sweet but again, i have no idea how to buy one. anyone else know please post link. i'd certainly like one. think about it, you can build your "mini laptops" with one of those tiny 5" LCD screens or what not. it can literally be the same size as that mini-firewall you just bought. i think the applications are endless. VIA are brilliant with bringing these things to the market. i think the mini-ITX is still too big.

that gumstix sux compared to the nano ITX. 400mhz? what? 64mb 100fsb?

the nanoITX is close to 1ghz, can do 1gb sticks 266fsb, decent graphics for 2D, sata, etc. it's not even close =).

I emailed Via about where to get one. Hope they reply soon and ill share the info. None of their listed resellers sell the nano. That is a sweet little board hehe. The minis are nice too. Being able to use a larger processor is nice. Imagin 20 of those linked to form 1 processing system. Add alittle folding and you are set :) And all in the same space as a mid tower system. SWEET :D

SelRahc said:
I emailed Via about where to get one. Hope they reply soon and ill share the info. None of their listed resellers sell the nano. That is a sweet little board hehe. The minis are nice too. Being able to use a larger processor is nice. Imagin 20 of those linked to form 1 processing system. Add alittle folding and you are set :) And all in the same space as a mid tower system. SWEET :D

They don't fold too well, I emailed the ITX guys about it...was thinking of stuffing a bunch of M12000 boards into a small rack setup over a few years...not worth it.

MD

there was a link some while back about a massive collection of mini's being linked together doing some folding or somn i forget.

as for nano, i've read that it's only available for OEM applications. you must be an authorized somn to buy it. end users don't apply.

Back