What is the safe max load temperature range for my e6300?

Just from the info ive gathered reading these forums, 60 and 65 arent anything catastrophic but there is definately room for improvement. Honestly you are probably not going to hit max load too often for <= 70 degrees to make a difference. Personally if i was at 60+ i would look at better cooling, reseating hsf/wb, ect. but at those temps you wont experience any damage or anything to ur cpu, if thats what ur worried about.

correct me if im wrong guys :)

It's not worth creating a new thread about my experience, so I'll just add here.

My E6300 (on P5N-E SLI) is currently running at 3106 (443*7). It ran Orthos and Prime95 for 8+ hours with no errors. When I was messing around trying to determine the top stable speed, Coretemp and Speedfan both reported load temps of 57-59C, but after the 8+ hours, the temps settled down to about 54-55C on one core and 51C on the second core. I KNOW I can get higher on this cpu; I've had it up to 3.4 and it booted into windows but errored on stability tests and load temps were pushing 60+C. This is all with very little voltage modification; CPU-Z says 1.296 now, but I had it up to 1.35v set in BIOS. Couple of questions:

1) This board seems really flaky with voltage. Obviously it does not cause any problems, but the actual voltage reported by CPU-Z is much lower than what I've set in BIOS. Right now, I believe it's set to 1.31 or something, but reporting lower than 1.3. When I had it set higher, around 1.34-1.35 in BIOS, CPU-Z never reported more than 1.312. ASUS PC-Probe reports 1.3v now. Does this board typically get that much vdroop?

2) I wasn't comfortable with load temps 59+ so I backed down a bit, but I'm thinking with improved cooling, it can definitely do better. All of my systems usually run hot; it's probably warmer than what most would consider comfortable. I've added fans and checked airflow in the cases and it never seems to make a difference. Does ambient temp really have that much effect on CPU temps?

3) I've OC'ed the CPU enough now that I'm comfortable with stability and am starting on the memory. I've got 2x1Gb Corsair XMS DDR2-800 at 1.9v now. Is the concept exactly the same as CPU OC-ing (ie. step up bus speed and voltage if errors?) How many passes of Memtest is generally considered stable? What increments to bump? (5Mhz, 10, 20?)

This thing seems like it overclocks like a champ but I'm wondering if I'll just hit the wall the next time I start messing with it. It seems too good to be true, but this chip might do 3.5 (it actually booted once, but I wasn't willing to push the voltage high enough to test for stability).

v

It's not worth creating a new thread about my experience, so I'll just add here.

My E6300 (on P5N-E SLI) is currently running at 3106 (443*7). It ran Orthos and Prime95 for 8+ hours with no errors. When I was messing around trying to determine the top stable speed, Coretemp and Speedfan both reported load temps of 57-59C, but after the 8+ hours, the temps settled down to about 54-55C on one core and 51C on the second core.

Temps will always come down. Once the paste burns in and fills in like it is supposed to, your temps will drop drastically.

65-70 is "safe"

above 70 is starting to get some danger going on.

The chips are rated for 85 before thermal Halt.

Back