What is the recommended amount of RAM these days?

Discussion in 'Memory' started by kniwor, Apr 14, 2019.

1. kniwor

kniwor [H]Lite

So, I have not built/upgraded in a while. I am in the process of upgrading from i5-2500 to Ryzen 5 1600. I got the processor, Motherboard and 16Gb RAM (2x8Gb) and it's all good.

But wondering - my old PC (that I did over 5 years ago) also had 16Gb RAM. What's the RAM recommendation these days. I do light gaming (currently have 1 1050Ti but was inspired by another thread here on [H] to look into an upgrade) and browing etc.. But my question is just more general - what's the amount of ram that is in line with current specs of processor, graphic etc?

2. dasa

dasa Limp Gawd

16GB is more than enough for for gaming and general use but for some things it can be much higher.

criccio and kniwor like this.
  3. kniwor

kniwor [H]Lite

Other things being Video editing etc?

4. ReaperX22

ReaperX22 Gawd

Yes, 16gb is still plenty for 95% of users. If you need more, you'd generally know it!

kniwor likes this.
  5. Keljian

Keljian Limp Gawd

I do lots of two things - CAD and programming - in my circumstance, especially with lots of browser tabs, 16gig isn't sufficient - 32 is generally ample

6. kniwor

kniwor [H]Lite

Hundreds of browser tabs is what is usually my sin. But I have two more slots available if I should feel the need for an upgrade later.

7. She loved E

She loved E n00b

16gb sticks are so cheap I'd buy them. A couple years back I bought a 4x4 kit & now that seems quaint.

8. Conker

Conker 2[H]4U

64GB or higher is great for heavy users. The more the better. I had 32GB for years and i was always maxing it out with tons of browser tabs open. If you have adblockers and addons those eat a lot of memory also. Really the more memory you can get the better in the long run and the short term ;)

9. kniwor

kniwor [H]Lite

From what I've noticed lately memory appears to be one of the more expensive parts of the system!

jrobdog likes this.
  10. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

You'll never need more then 640K. Anyone saying different is full of it.

sknight, GoldenTiger and kindasmart like this.
  11. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

Prices have been coming down quite a bit and should come down even more. I paid $134 for 16GB of G.SKILL 3200 DDR4 ram back in November and it now sells for $99 or lower.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  12. kindasmart

kindasmart Gawd

Actually 640 is nearly double what you need. All you really need is tree-fiddy.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  13. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

I made the same upgrade and went with 16GB as well. Based on my research if you are just gaming with light productivity 16GB is just fine.

14. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

why? I dont understand the reasoning behind having hundreds of tab open. have you left open every site you've ever been too?

15. Niner21

Niner21 n00b

I agree with 16GB being the sweet spot. I upgraded to 32GB recently due to the prices coming down and it fit more to my needs.

16. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

I'm not video editing or doing massive CAD simulations so 16GB is more than enough for my needs. I rarely see more than 6GB being used and I regularly fill my entire browser with tabs so small they are hard to click on. Two windows on dual displays to boot. I'm often amazed at how little RAM is being used considering there is 16GB available. Despite that, the hardware nut in me keeps thinking about adding another 16GB since prices have dropped so much...

17. pitingres

pitingres n00b

8 GB is OK for light duty office-type use or super tight budget builds. I'm on the 16 GB bandwagon for most general and gaming builds. IMO 32GB is still in the category of "if you don't know why you need 32, you don't."

18. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

6cores x2 for smt = 12 logical cores
    7zip uses 15gb per 2 logical cores for maximum compression

12/2*15 = 90 GB so i would advise 96 GB for this CPU

19. ZeqOBpf6

ZeqOBpf6 Gawd

Saying you need 32GB of ram for all your browser tabs is like saying you need a 4k screen so you can fit more icons on the desktop.

ReaperX22 and pendragon1 like this.
  20. rhansen5_99

rhansen5_99 [H]ard|Gawd

32gb on my workstation, but also spin up a bunch of test environments with VMWare Workstation / other local services. But really you should know if you need more that 16GB. Also helps if you have a shared workstation / lock vs logoff.

21. kniwor

kniwor [H]Lite

Yea, I've been using it with 16 for a few days now, and things seem fine. I can always add another two 8G sticks if the need arises - I don't think it will be soon though.

ReaperX22 likes this.
  22. ReaperX22

ReaperX22 Gawd

I've never gone over like 12gb at home. At work I have a 32GB machine, and I hit around 17-18GB peak typically. I don't really run VMs, or anything fancy, but I do have 4 different browsers due to different environment logins for the same system, many tabs in each, several remote desktops and often several office-suite apps. Somehow this adds up to around that much, but often I'm still below this. I could probably manage with 16GB..

23. tedych

tedych Limp Gawd

The question is a bit silly. What you really need is all on you and your exact activities. Today 16GB seems to be the sweet spot for say 80-90% of home systems, but depending on software used and usage patterns you *could* benefit from having 32GB.
    But it's not always "the more the better". Ryzen (and not only) doesn't play well with 4 sticks of RAM, everything else being the same. You would have to balance between more ram sticks and faster ram. Some MBs and BIOSes could worsen the matter by not allowing (easily) to pass 2133MHz with 4 sticks.
    Almost the same with 2x8 vs. 2x16 although much less of an issue.
    With my activity I can use up to 6-7-8 GB of RAM peak, and can run 2 VMs simultaneously for tests which happens rarely. I could "want" to run 4-5-6 VMs sometimes (once in 4 years) but is this a reason to put 4x8 sticks which I'll eventually use in 0.001% of the lifetime of the PC..
    I have my server where I can offload some VMs (or anything) for such rare occasions.

24. sknight

sknight n00b

I think Pr0n is probably his "tab addiction". lol

pendragon1 likes this.