What is the quietest pump I can use for this loop?

oxy4bf2

Weaksauce
Hey everyone,

I am going to set up a water-cooled HTPC and I want to buy a very, very quiet pump. I used to have a CPU loop with an MCP-350 and it was pretty quiet, but I'm not sure if it is powerful enough for the loop I am planning:

Black Ice GTS 240 XFLOW
Enzotech Sapphire CPU block
Swiftech MCW60-4870 GPU block
3/8" ID tubing (unfortunately, I am almost positive the case is too tight to fit 1/2" ID)

How quiet are those EK-DCP pumps (also branded as OCZ hydro pulse and others) compared to the Liang DDC pumps? And how weak of a pump can I get away with - I'm not looking for huge OCing and I will either use a 65W or 85W CPU - considering my loop?

Thanks for the advice guys

The Aquastream XT is supposedly the quietest pump that performs well from what I have heard. It seems to be OOS everywhere I look however.

Swiftech MCP-655-B (silent model)

Available at FrozenCPU.com

I'm running a somewhat similar setup with a DDC and not having any issues at all. I'd recomend running a top with it, but other than that what you have planned seems like it will work just fine.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to stick to what I know on this build and go for the MCP350. I needed a pump with a small footprint to fit inside my HTPC case (Grandia GD04).

Now I have the following parts:

Swiftech MCP350 pump
Swiftech MCR220 QP radiator
Enzotech Sapphire CPU block
Enzotech GPU block
2X Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm 120mm fans

All purchased from newegg.com. They don't compare to frozencpu.com or performance-pcs.com in inventory, but I'll take their low prices and fast shipping over the other two (frozen's customer service is great but their prices can be ridiculous).

I'll post pictures when things arrive hopefully on Thursday. I know SFF and HTPC WCing has been done before - and very well - but if all goes according to plan, this will be a feat of modding laziness (cleverness?) because the Grandia's 2 120mm fan mounts look oh so right for a 240 radiator. Plus, the case can fit a full-size PSU and two 11" VGAs to boot. That combination proved too much for me to pass up.

TWO MORE QUESTIONS:

1. I don't have a reservoir yet, but considering my case's small size, does anyone have a micro-res or one of those bitspower mini DDC res for sale? Or how much hassle is a T-line?

2. Has anyone mounted their case fans to their radiator AND case at the same time, using all the screw-holes? I'd imagine it could be done using metric screws and the short end of an allen wrench (hex key).

Thanks again guys

TWO MORE QUESTIONS:

1. I don't have a reservoir yet, but considering my case's small size, does anyone have a micro-res or one of those bitspower mini DDC res for sale? Or how much hassle is a T-line?

2. Has anyone mounted their case fans to their radiator AND case at the same time, using all the screw-holes? I'd imagine it could be done using metric screws and the short end of an allen wrench (hex key).

Thanks again guys

1. t lines are easy. Just put it inline of the pump inlet and you're good to go. Takes a little longer to bleed, but also takes up less space (as in SFF build)

2. Yes. Sounds like extra work though. Can't you just use screws through the outside of the case, through the fan, and into the rad?

Sprout2287 - Great idea on the installation! I'll just get long screws and maybe some washers to go through the case/fan/radiator. Thanks for the advice.

Back