What is the purpose of the basic Dell DRAC?

athlon1.2

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Dell R300 server and it does not have a separate DRAC card. When the system POSTs I see it shows something about DRAC and it even gets an IP address. But I can't do anything (ping, web, telnet, etc) with that IP address.

So basically what is the point of the basic DRAC without buying the full DRAC card? Just a placeholder?

I have a Dell R300 server and it does not have a separate DRAC card. When the system POSTs I see it shows something about DRAC and it even gets an IP address. But I can't do anything (ping, web, telnet, etc) with that IP address.

So basically what is the point of the basic DRAC without buying the full DRAC card? Just a placeholder?

is the ip address that is in the config with in your scope ? most of the time it's just 192.168.0.x

You should be able to ping it, my next advice only use internet exploder! I've never got it to work properly with ff & chrome.

I love it, works awesome :)

Do you know the default username & pass ?

and it's https://ipaddress ( in IE )

To answwer the main question OP, with no idrac card you get basic functions. When having the card you get full functions like remote management console etc etc.

base i believe gives you stats what the box is doing current lcd read out with errors some other functions like turn off turn on,

most idrac are set to static IP, set it to DHCP and then go to the IP in a browser, as said the integrated / basic gives you mostly info, the enterprise gives you a full console for power control, reboot's, OS installs, you name it.

It's usually the normal IPMI stuff, so you can use ipmitools or ipmiutil. It can be handy to force a power cycle or reset a hung server without having to drive in to a client site. Most of the servers I deal with have the drac, but ipmi still is better than nothing.

Back