what is the most efficient PSU?

shamgar

Limp Gawd
ok then, since if i want a decent PSU i'm going to have to shell out at least $75

i will have to make up that money in my electric bill.

what is the most efficient PSU available?

it looks like those antec PSU's are very high in efficiency (around 80%)

give me some ideas please thanks

davidhammock200 said:
Antec HE's
Not so much the HE's anymore, Antec has the new EarthWatts model that is officially 80PLUS certified. It seems to use similar (at least physically) internals as the Seasonic S12+Es, and not the NeoHE. It doesn't look like much though...

I would go with one of the Seasonic S12+E models. What are you trying to power exactly?

Somewhere, there's a 90% efficient ATX PSU, made by the same company that supplies PSUs to Google. The company is not Seasonic, Delta, Zippy, or Fortron.

Google's using big AC->DC convertors and DC->DC PSUs (or at least considering it). That's the latest I've heard. It's a really good idea for datacenters - it's more efficient, and UPS backup is DC. Converting to AC loses a lot of efficiency there, so you get better battery life from DC-based systems.

I've got a Silverstone ST40EF 80 Plus certified PSU and at 411W it's at 83% efficiency. I'm really impressed ith it and I'm sure the 500W version does just about as well.

shamgar said:
ok then, since if i want a decent PSU i'm going to have to shell out at least $75

i will have to make up that money in my electric bill.

what is the most efficient PSU available?

it looks like those antec PSU's are very high in efficiency (around 80%)

give me some ideas please thanks

i'd look for the silverstone units. namely the ST50EF-Plus and the ST40F. you could save a few bucks by getting the enhance oem versions although they dont come sleeved.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-E5150GH
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-E5140GH

efficiency is good an all but it's not going to make a huge difference in saving you money. it matters if you have a farm of computers and you leave them on for 24/7 but otherwise its not going to save you a whole lot. if you can get an efficient psu for cheap from a quality manufacturer then yeah go for it, but i wouldnt go buying psu's based on efficiency alone thinking its going to make up for the energy costs.

larrymoencurly said:
Somewhere, there's a 90% efficient ATX PSU, made by the same company that supplies PSUs to Google. The company is not Seasonic, Delta, Zippy, or Fortron.

Not really. At least not yet. That was the DC to DC power supplies they discussed sing. After AC to DC conversion, they're still getting 80 to 85%, but because they're all on battery back up, they would still get better efficiency than ANY AC to DC SMPS hooked up to an online UPS.

unhappy_mage said:
Google's using big AC->DC convertors and DC->DC PSUs (or at least considering it). That's the latest I've heard. It's a really good idea for datacenters - it's more efficient, and UPS backup is DC. Converting to AC loses a lot of efficiency there, so you get better battery life from DC-based systems.

Considering. I've got their slide show trom the Intel thing around here somewhere. But I think it's a great idea.

To answer the OP, I don't believe there is one PSU more efficient than all others. All of the most efficient PSU's are between 80% and 85%. 83% typical. A good reference is 80Plus.org, but it doesn't list all 83% typical PSU's because some drop below 80% (79%) during the 20% load test.

unhappy_mage said:

Just like the telcos have doing for 100yrs! :rolleyes:

Isn't it the picoPSU? Granted it won't power much of a rig but for efficiency it rocks :)

maybe I'm dreaming this...but I thought I read somewhere that you could increase the efficiency of your PSU if you ran it off of 220v instead of 110v.

Nullvoid said:
Isn't it the picoPSU? Granted it won't power much of a rig but for efficiency it rocks :)

Again, that's DC to DC. A DC to DC PSU can be 90% efficient or better. But you have to convert AC to DC, so in that process you're another 90% efficient. 90% of 90% is 81%. ;)

hey, thanks guys for all of the tips,
i went with a
SilverStone's 500W "80 Plus"
ST50EF-PLUS.

as listed on jonnyguru's site
http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Element500/

thnx jonnyguru!

http://deadeyedata.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=93&currency=USD
it was $79.05 +shipping

why did i get this one?
1)cheap
2)super efficient
3)had the least amount of 'wobbles' of voltage out of all of the
power supplies that i had seen

THOSE WOBBLES ARE WHAT GIVE ME STUPID ERRORS FROM MY GARBAGE POWER SUPPLY

have you ever got those errors that said
memory error
memory at address x32499324832 tried to reference memory at address x329848933 and memory could not be "read"
press ok to close program or cancel to debug

I HATE THAT ERROR AND I GET IT ALL THE TIME AND I KNOW ITS BCS OF WOBBLES IN THE VOLTAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

anyway this psu had even less wobbles than the corsair520hx
and cheaper
and more efficient
and almost the same wattage output

i'm happy

thanks again everyone!

Just because something is said to be "efficient" should in noway be an assumption of quality.

PC Power & Cooling makes some of the most efficient PSU's availible. A key to looking at efficiency is looking at what temperature the efficiency is rated at.

I wouldn't say that. The turbo cool is not exactly efficient at 75%. Definatly not 80+. 80+ will measure the efficiency at three loads. It's not like efficiency will go up when your power supply is cooler or warmer.

That, and the silencers are made by seasonic.

Bbq said:
I wouldn't say that. The turbo cool is not exactly efficient at 75%. Definatly not 80+. 80+ will measure the efficiency at three loads. It's not like efficiency will go up when your power supply is cooler or warmer.

That, and the silencers are made by seasonic.

the bigger ones are 83% if their site is correct

Back