What is the mainstream mobo?

Invalid

Gawd
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
850
I am building a new intel rig. I dont know much about intel mobo and would like to have recommendations either e6420 cpu or e6600.

I dont overclock. My main focus is on stability. I generally go with asus, but it seems a lot of people use GIGABYTE DS3 mobo. Is that a stable motherboard? Any recommendation on a good, stable motherboard would be appreciated. I really dont need SLI or RAID.
 
You really need or you don't really need SLI? Because that limits you to Nvidia based boards.
 
The P965 boards are pretty stable, although Cerebrex will have plenty to say about the DS3 from Gigabyte. The thing with all the boards is that everyone who is anyone will overclock. It's almost silly not to with these new chips.

But if you're looking for stable, the Asus board are usually pretty decent, the Gigabyte sometimes... MSI makes a decent board. hummm..... there's more.
 
Stability is not an issue when you are not overclocking, coz every mobo is stable on stock speeds.

I think you should go for a P35 mobo with DDR2 and DDR3 slots. Those are mainly mainstream and pretty good for upgrades.
I'd suggest the gigabyte P35C_DS3R, with 4 ddr2 slots and 2 ddr3.
MSI p35 neo combo might be a good choice too and will be cheaper, but it has probably just 2 ddr2 slots and 2 ddr3 ones.

A good mobo with a decent chipset is always overclockable, if you want to have non-overclockable motherboards, take a look at asrock or pcchips mobo's. They dont support memory at higher speeds than 667mhz, but they are very cheap.
 
i'm a happy DS3 user.

I only complain about 2 things:

-NB gets too hot
-Must remove VGA (2 slots) to reach the bios reset jumper (only had to do it once but it sucked :p)
 
After doing so much research into the topic that I became dizzy, I personally went with the ABIT AB9 QuadGT. The current price after rebate is absolutely terrific. It's loaded with features as well. The DS3 was temping since it's about the only motherboard with 3 usable PCI slots, but I didn't like it's lack of esata, which I plan to use.

Link to Newegg
 
I'd suggest a P965 board or a P35 based board.

P965:

ABIT AB9 QuadGT
ASUS P5B Deluxe
ASUS Commando (The best P965 board I've ever worked with)

P35:

ASUS P5K-E Deluxe
ASUS P5K Deluxe
ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP Edition
Gigabyte P35-DQ6

Also, though the i975x chipset isn't the newest thing and is frankly getting long in the tooth it provides awesome performance and stability on the right motherboard. If you want stable, there is probably no finer motherboard than the Intel D975XBX2 which I've seen for less than $200 several times making it a damn good buy.
 
My only Intel Experience is my own Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 which is rock solid stable with a 1 GHZ OC on my CPU and running my ram @ 890 24/7 and an Asus Stryker Extreme that I had to troubleshoot at work for a guy. I hate Asus boards after trying to get that Stryker board going.
 
I was going to go with the Abit QuadGT and an E6600 before my funds got cut in half (this was before the Intel price cuts, but after AMD's :D ). Of all the boards I went through, had decided on the DS3, the Commando, DQ6.... blah blah blah... The QuadGT looked the best to me. But that was also for the 1066 strap you could set in the BIOS. Take a look at the DFI P965, I think people are also really enjoying that board.
 
evga 650i ultra a1 or t1

LOL.. am I allowed to laugh? I'm sorry, but I think everyone on this forum knows you like the EVGA 6 series boards... I've seen too many posts in the motherboards section where vanilla guerilla only says "evga 680i"
 
Im surprise none of u mention the ds3. Is it bad or something...it seems a whole bunch of people are using it.
 
check carefully and you'll see a bunch of posts mentioning it, i have no idea how you missed them :confused:
 
LOL.. am I allowed to laugh? I'm sorry, but I think everyone on this forum knows you like the EVGA 6 series boards... I've seen too many posts in the motherboards section where vanilla guerilla only says "evga 680i"


you are allowed to do anything you like. i dont have this board, but reviews (including the one i linked to) and owners say its a great, stable board. and you can get 1 for around $100.
 
Back
Top