What is the longest monitor arm I can buy

mobusta1

2[H]4U
I want to put a monitor arm on a wall that's behind my bed so that when I lay down I can extend the monitor that would be a good viewing distance for a 27 incher. My guess is probably 4 feet minimum since the back frame of my bed is probably 3 inches away from the wall. I know it's a little confusing but basically I'm looking for a fully retractable and moveable arm. :confused:

I can't recommend any models since i haven't used one, but i know the semi-official terminology is "long reach" and "long arm" monitor arms. Plug those into a google, amazon or ebay search. I see that most of them are pricey but you may luck out with something decent below $100.

Good luck.

longest I find is 2feet ish. ergotron LX is 24-26 per spec iirc, there is one slightly longer.

4ft, eh Probably try find some that let you use multiple extension.

probably easier to find something to set up attached to a table or wall to the side

The difficulty comes with mounting something like that. The stresses involved with extending an arm out that far are going to be pretty significant. Definitely something that'd likely require lag bolt mounting into at LEAST two wall studs. That and there's considerable risk of injury to someone if it fell. Which pretty much means you're not likely to find something made for that purpose. More often than not folks go with a pop-up unit at the footboard or some kind of swing-down mount from the ceiling.

might have to get creative and purchase a bunch of clamps lol. Maybe a desk mount attached to a night stand and have it reach over to where you're laying?

When the arm is extended it puts a lot of force against whatever is being used to mount it. A desk or other sort nightstand/table would have to be VERY heavy to offset the forces involved. I'm sure there's a formula somewhere for it (length of arm, weight of materials, etc).

There are such things as wheeled mounts. One of those wheeled around with the monitor would be a lot less trouble.

might have to get creative and purchase a bunch of clamps lol. Maybe a desk mount attached to a night stand and have it reach over to where you're laying?

I do have a night stand on both left and right. That's a good idea. I could probably get away with 2 feet then.

Back