What is the hottest part of a ref gtx 680 besides the core?

Carlitos714

[H]ard|Gawd
Had this up in another forum, but nobody has responded. Hopefully [H] like always comes through?

Ok fellas trying to figure out if a ram sink will be enough too cool my gtx 680's. I will be putting mcw82 on them and want to know if I should use something bigger than a ram sink on certain components of the card. Thank you

I was thinking the area in red was the hottest. Am I wrong?

The chips that you see surrounding the core...

Along with the power regulation

Looks power related to me, but I have no idea, I do thermals and mech E stuff. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can drop some info.

Red is power phase for the memory, the ones below are the power phases for the core. The larger black chips are the MOSFETs and the smaller black ones are the controllers for each phase, those are the hottest besides the core. The memory doesn't get as hot (provided you are not overclocking the memory a lot) but should still be heatsinked at least. You can pretty easily tell what needs cooling based on where the thermal pads are on a stock card when you remove the cooler.

The VRM section needs some kind of active cooling, be it a fan mounted to the chassis blowing directly on whatever heatsinks you put on there or some kind of smaller fan mounted to the GPU itself like the setup for "the mod" using an AIO cooler. I would suggest some good copper heatsinks if you can find them, there are some that are very small but sort of tall and would work perfectly for that.

GPU is priority OFC but next item on a list is VRM actually. Mosfets and other semiconductors in VRM circut. That is a part right from the GPU and behind memory. Well if GPU is drawing like XX amount of Ampers VRM will have same amount of Ampers flowing true it as well. Hence VRM semiconductors heat up a lot to. At 12v it is 20A+ for demanding cards.

Memory modules cooling is at third place. Memory cooling brings some added stability an expands bit OC capability of those modules. Lower models of cards even do not have any heatsinks on memory. Even some high end cards do not cool memory modules when they are back on the PCB or some just cool them just with a simple back plate..

Red is power phase for the memory, the ones below are the power phases for the core. The larger black chips are the MOSFETs and the smaller black ones are the controllers for each phase, those are the hottest besides the core. The memory doesn't get as hot (provided you are not overclocking the memory a lot) but should still be heatsinked at least. You can pretty easily tell what needs cooling based on where the thermal pads are on a stock card when you remove the cooler.

The VRM section needs some kind of active cooling, be it a fan mounted to the chassis blowing directly on whatever heatsinks you put on there or some kind of smaller fan mounted to the GPU itself like the setup for "the mod" using an AIO cooler. I would suggest some good copper heatsinks if you can find them, there are some that are very small but sort of tall and would work perfectly for that.
So basically it would be a good idea to cool all the chips on the card? I do have plenty of copper sinks btw

GPU is priority OFC but next item on a list is VRM actually. Mosfets and other semiconductors in VRM circut. That is a part right from the GPU and behind memory. Well if GPU is drawing like XX amount of Ampers VRM will have same amount of Ampers flowing true it as well. Hence VRM semiconductors heat up a lot to. At 12v it is 20A+ for demanding cards.

Memory modules cooling is at third place. Memory cooling brings some added stability an expands bit OC capability of those modules. Lower models of cards even do not have any heatsinks on memory. Even some high end cards do not cool memory modules when they are back on the PCB or some just cool them just with a simple back plate..

thank you.

so I should cool these?

Should I cool the green circle?
the green "X"?
the yellow "x" are the came as the green "x" below them right?

Sorry if I dont use the proper terminology. Thank you!

Yep, you'll be good. Just make sure to have some sort of airflow over the VRM heatsinks and you should have no problems.

here is the result. overkill i know but i have enough heatsinks to do 4 cards!!!

i do need some new thermal tape though
null_zps86938714.jpg

Looks good, those were exactly the heatsinks I was thinking of too. Let us know how she goes!

Back