• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What is the difference between these two Celerons?

Lcarvone

Gawd
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
815
If you look HERE there is the listing of processor specs for the Mobile Celeron CPUs. About halfway through you can see that the fsb speeds changed from 133 to 400 (this is the quad pumped bus type I believe). They are all socket 478 so what is the difference? Will any and all work on a desktop socket 478 mobo?
 
The 133MHz bus chips are Tualatin PIII-core based, the others are Northwood P4-based. Only the P4 based have any chance of working on a desktop 478 board.
 
So were the Tualatin based socket 478 only a transition phase for laptops? If so then there are only a few chipsets that would support (i.e. specifically for laptops)?
 
I think there were also some non-Tualatin Mobile PIIIs in the 478 package, but I'm not positive. I'd guess most of the laptops for those used the i830 chipset, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few i815s, too.

Powerleap makes/made an adapter to use the mobile 478 pin PIII on desktop PIII boards, although I doubt it was very popular or easily obtainable.
 
Back
Top