What is the difference between scanning to JPEG and scanning to PDF?

I have some documents that I have to scan. I bought the Canon Canoscan 9000F a couple of years ago. I never even opened it until yesterday. I also have a copy of Adobe Acrobat X that came with my other document scanner. So what is the difference between scanning to JPEG and scanning to PDF? I am leaning on scanning to JPEG because I want to also insert some of these documents into Microsoft OneNote. If I scan straight to PDF, then I'm not sure how to extract the document from the PDF and then insert it into OneNote later.

I plan to scan at 300dpi and if I scan to JPEG, at least I can import it into both Acrobat X and OneNote and use the programs to OCR the JPEGs. I can do that right? I think the OCR quality and speed will be better either Acrobat X or OneNote over ScanGear and MP Navigator EX (Canon's software). I think scanning to JPEG will take up more time, but might make my workflow easier given what I plan to do.

Any comments on how I should proceed with this?

Not sure specifically, but I know that Acrobat X can easily convert JPEGs into PDFs (it can even do several/hundreds of files as a batch conversion operation).

FILE -> CREATE -> PDFs from File...

It (Acrobat) also has a built-in OCR function, so you would be good to go there too.

TOOLS -> RECOGNIZE TEXT

So you can easily go form JPGs to PDFs as needed with what you already have, so that may be the most universal way to approach this IMO.

Back