what is the difference between 860 and 920 i7?

rjolin01

[H]ard|Gawd
I am conteplating going i7 but am a little confused between the 860 1156socket and the 920 1366 socket. which is the better of the two as they are pretty much equal price.

860 has dual memory controller, video = 1-Xpcie 16 (X16) or (X8+X8) or (X16+X4) graphic lines
920 has triple memory controller, video = 2-Xpcie 16 (X16) or (16+X8+X8)or (X8+X8+X8)
you get the picture

plus, reports indicated the 6 cores ($1500processors) will be supported on 1366 only

the 1156 fit my needs, Xeon X3340 (2.53) 207 after bing cash back, a $120 mobo and 8gb ram is $188= $500
Currently its at 3.55ghz and it will do till I upgrade next.

Last edited:
There are itx boards for 1156 so you can have the 860 in a SFF case.

If you're purely just comparing CPUs , the only difference is the 860 is 133mhz faster than the 920.
Most of the differences lies in the platform limitations said in post #2

Not another "what's the difference between the 860 and 920 thread"... Please use the search function. This topic has been covered numerous times.

The i7-980x 1366 only but should ONLY be $1000 at launch in March.

3 months following that, they will release less expensive processors. Just take a look at their past CPU releases such as the i7 and C2Q.

well if they would refine the search feature to be more exact then I would of. Also, especially in the sales thread if you search the terms i5 or i7 says nothing found. Cant tell me that those two terms dont exsist at all in that thread.

well if they would refine the search feature to be more exact then I would of. Also, especially in the sales thread if you search the terms i5 or i7 says nothing found. Cant tell me that those two terms dont exsist at all in that thread.
I just did a search for "difference between 860 and 920" in the Intel Processors section, and the second result was this thread from last week: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1481972

oh well...ppl dont hav e to read this thread if they dont want. either way i got my answer.

Not another "what's the difference between the 860 and 920 thread"... Please use the search function. This topic has been covered numerous times.

3 months following that, they will release less expensive processors. Just take a look at their past CPU releases such as the i7 and C2Q.

roadmap says more like 16 months at best

i7 920 was released the same time as the EE 965 but yea, the cheaper variants of QX6700 and QX9650 came 3-4months after their debut so I'd say(hope) the same thing will happen.

I kind of curious how they're going to name them seeing all the numbers below 980 are already used

False. Take a look at the Quads and the i7 920.

it was RIGHT on intels slide you can look for your self no new CPUs other then EE for 12+ months on the top end
intelroadmap.jpg

as you can see only the one CPU thats it
and thats not even till the end of THIS year so then add on 3 to 6 months for lower end parts and your looking at mid 2011 and im sure by then a new chip set will be out with better SATA3 and USB3 as well as PCIe3 support

Last edited:
and thats not even till the end of THIS year so then add on 3 to 6 months for lower end parts and your looking at mid 2011 and im sure by then a new chip set will be out with better SATA3 and USB3 as well as PCIe3 support

Don't worry too much about that chart. Focus more on historical trends instead. ;)

ether way lets SAY its 3-4 months
your looking at early 2011 at best

it was RIGHT on intels slide you can look for your self no new CPUs other then EE for 12+ months on the top end
intelroadmap.jpg

The i7-980x, Gulftown is coming out in March isn't it? That's that everyone is saying.

Back