what is the best way to implement storage/ back up access from linux to windows?

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
or the other way around windows to linux?
what is the best way you would implement this? lets say someone wants to implement a backup from linux to windows in which the windows systems have more storage than the linux system

thanks in advance

Regardless of the system, I would set up sftp on your target, then script up the packaging of your target data and uploading of said data to your target.

sftp because the other methods all introduce complexity to the job.

Mounting NFS in Windows works like crap, so while the feature is there, I would rule that out.

I'd just use Samba.

Very easy hand-holding instructions can be found with a simple Google search.
When utilizing windows as a backup server, samba is..."OK". Not great, but OK.

When utilizing linux as a backup server, there are just too many possible complications inherent in using cifs. Same's true for windows really, which is why I'm a fan of using sftp. There are simple, scriptable command line tools available for both platforms, and ftp is a very well known and well used protocol, so finding one then modifying it is far easier.

There are a few applications that will do it for you. I've been using CrashPlan for a couple of years and it works like a charm when backing up to Linux machines. I have a Windows workstation that backs up to a Linux machine and another Windows machine and a Linux workstation that backs up to a Linux and Windows machine - both have served me faithfully.

One word of caution, however, if you're using TightVNC (I haven't confirmed it with other VNC programs yet) then CrashPlan doesn't work and according to their tech support they're not working on a fix for it either as there haven't been enough users complaining about the issue. If you need to remote into the machine something like RDP would work fine and SSH doesn't interfere with CrashPlan at all.

I also found quite a few links for Linux backup software here:

http://www.google.com/search?client...t+backup+software+for+linux&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I use CrashPlan but unless the machine has a subscription it can only be scheduled for one automatic backup per day. Depending on your environment it might not be wise to use a free software with basically no support as your backup method.

Also for remote management, if you edit the config files you can have the GUI on one machine access the agent on another.

Back