What is the best video card for a 100MHz machine?

Celestial Avenger

Limp Gawd
Hypothetical, considering I don't have this machine yet.

Let's say

100MHz Pentium Processor
16-32MB RAM
Windows 95

I'd hope there is at least one PCI port, but I'm not sure if they existed yet. I don't want to overkill it with a GeForce 2 MX 200, assuming it'll even recognize the card.

is this a joke?

i think the voodoo cards were a good standard back then. good luck finding one though...

zv

whatever card will display your monitor.. cuz it sure as hell wont be able to play any 3d games.

where are you going to find drivers that will work for that machine?

for $50, you could build a machine that would be better that. why are you doing this?

zv

Im sorry to say, but nothing you put in that POS is gonna benefit anything. Might as well get a ti-89 and put some games on that. Spend a few hundred bucks and get an older dell budget system that they advertise for like $300. I think I would cringe even looking at the damn thing cause it would remind me of taking like 20min to boot up. OMG AWEFUL slowness and loud krrrrrrrrrrrrr sounds from the tower. Your just asking to be PWNED !! to the max.

I think you can run MONSTER TRUCK MADNESS...........muhahahahaahah

Why god why?!?!

That machine would hardly be worth using as a linux box. Don't even both with it. I did have a friend that played QW/Q2 on a P90 with a Voodoo2 8mb however :p

lloose said:
whatever card will display your monitor.. cuz it sure as hell wont be able to play any 3d games.

Not true, and...I just happen to have both an AGP 1X Trident 3DImage 9850 as well as a Diamond Monster Fusion 16mb PCI video card right here in front of me. Sure, It won't run any games made after about 1998/99, But I also happen to have a few of those games laying around too...Quake, Quake II, European Air Wars... :D

go to the ati site and find there first video card, buy that and you might be able to run ping-pong at 5 fps.

Guys, retro DOS machine? Just because we have Oblivion and FEAR doesn't mean those old DOS games are any less fun. I've built my share of old machines like this, and it's just as fun to get them working (only now with the added challenge of actually finding the parts) as any z0mgIntel 5000000 cores duo! :p

Anyways, the guy a post or two above me suggested a 9250. If you can find one, get one of the early 9xxx series, they were PCI, and should be MORE than enough for that machine. Plus, they're still fairly available and under $100.

Even better is if you could find a Voodoo though. ^.^ THAT would be a sight. :p

Oh, and OP, yes the original Pentiums had PCI slots, it was the new technology then. You'll probably have 1-3 (assuming it's a standard sized board), then about 3 ISA ports.

djBon2112 said:
Guys, retro DOS machine? Just because we have Oblivion and FEAR doesn't mean those old DOS games are any less fun.
... your joking right?... a dos game AS FUN as FEAR.... the world has gone mad..

and to the OP... just cause you find a computer in a dumpster dosnt mean its going to be a great computer just cause you add a video card, or put any money into it at all for that matter.

Warrior said:
... your joking right?... a dos game AS FUN as FEAR.... the world has gone mad..
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll assume not.

Are YOU serious? Games can't be fun unless they can be played at 1600x1200 and with Max Uber settings? That's kinda sad, as I value the gameplay a game offers more than it's graphics.

This must be a joke post :s

If not, you should be able to run Doom1, Descent, games from around that era of the stone age.

Don't forget Daggerfall, if that's you're style.

Seriously, you'll be stuck in that game for years ^.^

are most of you guys fucking 15?
you know games existed before antialiasing and 2560x1600 resolution
graphics dont equal fun

this thread is seriously bumming me out

im gonna go play sonic 2 on my genesis

matt0r said:
are most of you guys fucking 15?
you know games existed before antialiasing and 2560x1600 resolution
graphics dont equal fun

this thread is seriously bumming me out

im gonna go play sonic 2 on my genesis

OMG, are you like fucking 12? You do know there were games before your fancy 16bit Genisis system...

This thread is making me seriously ronchy

im gonna go play asteroids on my atari.

lloose said:
OMG, are you like fucking 12? You do know there were games before your fancy 16bit Genisis system...

OMFG, what are you, fucking 8??? Pong, bitch! :p

lloose said:

quite aware

would it make you better if i played pong?

ps. ronchy? ...

djBon2112 said:
OMFG, what are you, fucking 8??? Pong, bitch! :p

OMFG are you like 2, there was a time when you didn't need a pc to have fun! to good old days of playing crads, and marbles, and fottball with skulls.

Scotty_SFF said:
OMFG are you like 2, there was a time when you didn't need a pc to have fun! to good old days of playing crads, and marbles, and fottball with skulls.
Damnit, I can't beat that! :p

I don't see anything wrong with fooling with an old machine. way back when I remember being thrilled with an extra 486 that someone gave me... even before that I made use of an old 286... commander keen was fun.

I used a p133 laptop for the longest time as a web browsing machine I could use in my living room. before that I used it as a web proxy at a small company I worked for...

anyway, I think a p100 might be able to run winamp... I say might because I know a 486 can't do it on full quality (I have tried!)... old computers like that can always be used for something.

Scotty_SFF said:

lmfao

Lol, "My new uber machine with an ATi x0.1900 can do solitare at 45.39 frames per second! Beat that!" :p

Well, the first computer I ever bought was a Pentium 75, it had a PCI slot, so the P100 should as well. A Voodoo 1 was the card to have back in those days, but you will have problems with drivers and such. You could play:
Duke Nukem 3d
Quake 1
Diablo
Heritic
Hexen 1
Warcraft 1
and alot of others that I cant think of right now.

I'd go for a slow K6-2 or PII AGP & a Voodoo3 if you're going to go the old-PC route. Good Win95/DOS box. That gives you a good box for playing stuff like Quake 2. I've still got my K6-2 350mhz & Voodoo3 2000 in a box in the closet - I've considered powering 'em up a few times. Need some PC100/PC133 RAM though.

If they get running too fast for DOS games you can always use MoSlo...

100mhz-era boxes didn't really need a video card. You definitely want to invest in an original Sound Blaster or Ad-lib audio card, though.

Recommend:
Master of Magic
Balor of the Evil Eye
Pool of Radiance and other goldbox SSI games

djBon2112 said:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'll assume not.

Are YOU serious? Games can't be fun unless they can be played at 1600x1200 and with Max Uber settings? That's kinda sad, as I value the gameplay a game offers more than it's graphics.

QFT, gameplay > graphics...
I had fun playing games, before deicated 3D cards came out and so did the rest of the world.

Terra said:
QFT, gameplay > graphics...
I had fun playing games, before deicated 3D cards came out and so did the rest of the world.
i didnt say anything about graphics... Me and a friend were playing pong at a atari classic at a store on display about a week ago... and id have to say... not that fun, was getting pretty competative... but id have to say if we had our boxes with us... we rather be owning each other in F.E.A.R. then moving a paddle up and down... just because its old and retro, dosnt mean it can compare... listen to what your saying...

Warrior said:
i didnt say anything about graphics... Me and a friend were playing pong at a atari classic at a store on display about a week ago... and id have to say... not that fun, was getting pretty competative... but id have to say if we had our boxes with us... we rather be owning each other in F.E.A.R. then moving a paddle up and down... just because its old and retro, dosnt mean it can compare... listen to what your saying...

The gamepaly of FEAR is very good, so your analogy is flawed...it's the A.I, story, and leveldesign that makes FEAR a great game
Besides FEAR has some problem with the graphical design.
Bullets only make "sparks" in Hollywood movies:
INSULTINGLY STUPID MOVIE PHYSICS

Flashing Bullets
The terrorist unleashes a lengthy burst of submachine gunfire as the hero runs along a gangway in an industrial plant. Bullets bounce everywhere. This would be a dramatic event for almost anyone, yet moviemakers feel it must be enhanced. The special effects representing impacting bullets give off bright flashes of light. Normal bullets, especially handgun bullets, do not.

Typical handgun bullets are made of copper-clad lead or lead alloys. They simply don't create bright flashes of light when they strike objects, even if the objects are made of steel. In the chemical industry it's commonplace to limit maintenance workers to copper-alloy or lead hammers when they are working in areas where flammable fumes may be present. Hammers made of these materials do not produce sparks when they strike objects, while steel hammers can. If you've never noticed this phenomenon with steel hammers, don't be surprised, the sparks generally are barely visible even under ideal lighting conditions.

The non-sparking tendencies of copper versus steel can be seen if the metals are ground. Grinding a piece of steel will produce a copious quantity of sparks even in bright lighting. Small hot particles of the steel actually burn. If copper tubing is ground it may produce an occasional spark due to a contaminate on the grinding wheel or copper, but will be virtually spark free.

(Note: grinding is potentially hazardous. It generates hot, high velocity metal particles. The grinding wheel can also fly apart at high velocity. Soft metals can clog a grinding wheel. It should only be done with proper safety equipment and precautions.)

We definitely don't recommend grinding lead because it produces toxic particles in addition to the other hazards of grinding. However, when ground under controlled conditions to prevent lead contamination, lead performs similarly to copper.

Bullets do get hot when they strike solid objects. The worst case would be if all of a bullet's kinetic energy were instantly converted to thermal energy when a bullet struck its target and all the thermal energy remained inside the bullet. This is highly unlikely but easy to calculate.

A .45 cal handgun bullet, for instance, has a mass of 0.015 kg and a muzzle velocity of around 288 m/s (at the upper end of velocity for commercially available ammunition). Kinetic energy is calculated from the mass and the magnitude of the velocity of an object using the following equation:

KE = ½mv2

Where:
KE = kinetic energy
m = mass
v = velocity

We calculate that such a bullet has a kinetic energy of 619 J. If this kinetic energy is all converted to thermal energy, the temperature rise can be calculated as follows:

*FORMUAL IS ON THE SITE*

Using a specific heat of lead equal to 0.128 J/g/K we get a temperature increase of 324° Celsius. If the bullet starts at room temperature (24° C) it will end up at 348° C (659° F). The melting point of lead is 328° C.

For the moment let's not worry about whether the bullet melts but what it might look like if it did. Molten lead looks like newly polished silver and is sometimes used in movies to represent molten silver, for example, when someone casts a silver bullet to kill a werewolf. Molten silver, on the other hand, glows red (melting temperature = 962° C). At its melting temperature, lead does not glow with visible light.

Warrior said:
I didn't say that these aren't good games, I'm just saying that you saying "any old game sucks" is stupid, because there were plenty of excellent and exciting games that ran at 300x260 with barely any quality. It was the gameplay which made these games fun, and it new seems that this is now being sacrificed to make the game look as "good" as possible.

Back