What is the best software for "backing up" movies/videos?

Greetings,

I used to use DVD-Decrypter but I think it is a little out-dated. I was wondering if there is a good replacement for it?

How do you want to back them up? Iso, mkv, dvd folder structure, etc? It all depends on what you want. To do an .iso I use DVDFab, for .mkv I'll use Handbrake.

The OP has to define what he/she means by "backing up" before any useful suggestions can be provided:

Does the OP mean a full blown bit-for-bit backup of everything on a DVD, an exact copy? Most any burning software can do that, but as almost all retail movie DVDs are DVD9, that means you'll need to buy a dual layer blank DVD for every one of them, and dual layer media is still hella expensive compared to DVD5 single layer (which is like $.10 a disc or less these days, even for the good media like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden if you look around for that pricing).

Does the OP mean taking DVD9 discs and crunchin' 'em down to DVD5 size? DVDShrink is still my fave for that purpose (with the settings configured for deep analysis and maximum sharpness). Nearly 5 years since it first came out and still nothing does a better job of it.

Does the OP mean taking DVD9 discs and crunchin' 'em down to MKV or MP4 video files, with the goodies packed inside those containers? HandBrake stands out but some folks just like more "flash" than substance and choose things like DVDFab or some other product. If you want pretty much the very best quality from such encodings, HandBrake is it - if you can live with "watchable" then some other software like DVDFab or one of the multitudes of other products can help.

There's also MakeMKV which does no compression of any kind but can rip the contents of any DVD you've got and package all of it into one nice single MKV file - but again realize it does no compression: if the DVD has 8GB of content on the disc, the MKV is going to be 8GB in size since it's basically a bit-for-bit transfer of that disc into a single container, the resulting MKV file.

That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Back