What is the best Blu Ray Software to consider?

SylarPowers

[H]ard|Gawd
I already have AnyDVD HD, an LG 12x Blu Ray Burner, But I still need software to play movies with ... so which is the one to get?

Last edited:
I think only a few people have actually used all of the players and their most recent versions to offer a truly informed opinion. Many claim TotalMedia Theater 5 is the best. I bought into PowerDVD a while ago and that is what I use on all my machines and it works fine. You might want to read this:

http://blu-ray-player-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

keeping in mind that PowerDVD 12 Ultra is out now, as well.

Last edited:
MPC-HC is free, and will play from disc now, not just from image on HD. It is also the most customizable. See AVS forum for more detail.

If you want one of the fully capable players I think the choice is between PowerDVD and TotalMedia Theatre. It's hard to say which one is better but I think both of them have free tirals so you can choose the more suitable one for yourself.

MPC-HC can't handle the menus of a bluray movie. I just installed TotalMedia Theatre and it is fantastic. It even integrates into W7MC so that it is seamless with my entire setup.

If willing to rip out the movie --> AnyDVD + MakeMKV

If wanting the full disc --> TMT, etc..

my opinion...

Best Free: Media Home Player Classic - Home Cinema
Best Paid: ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre

I was introduced to JRiver Media Center 17 recently and I must say I am quite impressed.

I've used TMT 2, 3 and Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 Ultra. I'm going to give JRiver 30 days and see how I like it. The price isn't too bad at $49.95 either.

Seems like it is down to PowerDVD 12 Ultra, Total Media Theater whatever version, and JRiver Media Center 17. I found a free copy of PowerDVD 11 Ultra, I'll demo that for now and perhaps try the others too.

This thread was perfect, thanks.

Last edited:
You will still need AnyDVD HD to play Blu-Ray discs on JR. So factor that into your cost.

already bought it years ago, lifetime membership!

same here. ive found media center 17 to work best with folder structure rips(which is what i use). im about 7 days into my trial and even my girlfriend has says its worth the $50. this is after me using the other two major pieces of software out there for the past 4 years.

You might want to read this:

blu-ray-player-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

It seems these guys mostly changed the title of their article with "2012 something". The text is still talking about PowerDVD 10 and CinePlayer BD with 3D. The latter does not even exist anymore according to this review http://www.reviewmaze.com/2012/02/3d-blu-ray-player-software-for-windows.html, which is actually not good cause it was the cheapest Blu-ray player software until recently. It seems the licensing fees are limiting the competition and even the Blu-ray adoption. Many people are still using DVDs despite their inferior quality compared to Blu-rays.

Back