What is SED?

More radiation from a person than from a monitor? Hm, interesting.
Yep, you don't hear Greenpeace promoting that fact much, now do you?

However, let me be clear on one thing. Monitors put out more *rads*, but less *rems*. Rems (roentgen equivalent man) is rads x Q, or, more simply, the amount of actual radiation the body absorbs from a given source.

Rems are the important unit when determining the biological effects of radiation damage. K-40 (radioactive potassium) is found naturally in our body from the foods we eat, and has a nasty absorbtion spectrum. Bananas, btw, are particularly high in radioactive potassium levels. And if you've ever used a "salt substitute" (KCl), such as Nu-Salt, its radioactive enough make a geiger counter go crazy.

So I wouldn't worry too much about "radioactive" monitors if I were you. Its just another in a long string of scare-tactic quasi-facts.

Yub...He is absolutely correct.

People are often confused when the word radiation is used.

"Radiation generally means the transmission of waves, objects or information from a source into a surrounding medium or destination." ~ great definition of radiation.

There are so many different types of radiation that you can't really just say "radiation". You have to be specific if the radiaition is a particle, a wave, both or simply nothing to do with physics at all. Not to mention I am radiating odor into the olfactories of my fellow humans as we speak. So really think about the word and what it means, " The act or condition of diverging in all directions from a center" ~ another good definition of radiation.

The radiation we speak of when talking about electromagnetic radiation, is generally related to physics...its all part of the electro-magnetic spectrum.

The wikipedia describes EM radiation as, "Generally, EM radiation is classified by wavelength into electrical energy, radio, microwave, infrared, the visible region we perceive as light, ultraviolet, X-rays and gamma rays."

That's right. Light is nothing but radiation.

I suggest doing what Masher said, don't take anyone's word for it. Learn for yourself because you may stumble over something everyone else misses. That's how penicillin was discovered.

4490722_200X150.jpg

At the beginning of the 20th century, the government nearly banned the internal combustion engine as being too dangerous for the common man. Common sense prevailed, though, and people eventually got over their irrational fear of horseless carriages. The rumors about autos causing cancer, strokes, and two-headed babies to be born eventually died down.

Perhaps one day we'll wise up on nuclear power as well.

Toshiba has released some more details on their SED tech. They're screen-printing the emitter display down to 4nm, which means amazingly high resolutions are possible at low cost. Also, the emitters have been stress-tested up to 60,000 hours, with no more than a 10% output loss. That means phosphor burn will be the limiting factor in display lifetime, and since each pixel won't be overdriven as hard as a normal CRT, the expected lifespan should be significantly higher than any current display.

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has already been addressed.

I've heard a rumor that SED is only going to be used in large displays like TVs. Does this mean there will be no dedicated computer monitors anymore? Or is resolution the only real difference between TVs and computer monitors?

If there is going to be a matrix of pixels, then how will we ever drive games at native resolution? Speaking of native resolution, won't SEDs have the same problem with scaling as LCDs?

I have a question thou, I hate the glassiness of crt's now that I'm used to the lovely non shiny matte lcd moniter panelness, so I guess my question is this, will the CED's be glassy glossy, or Panel Matte?

I've heard a rumor that SED is only going to be used in large displays like TVs. Does this mean there will be no dedicated computer monitors anymore?
The first SED displays will be 55" TV panels. I'm sure smaller sizes will be introduced fast.

Or is resolution the only real difference between TVs and computer monitors?
Technically, any TV that can accept a DVI, analog VGA, or any other pc-out signal is a monitor. Most 'monitors' have both a higher resolution than a display intended for TV use, and they also have a pixel array sized to a commonly supported video-card mode (e.g. 1280x1024).

Speaking of native resolution, won't SEDs have the same problem with scaling as LCDs?
If the first SEDs have a pixel density roughly equal to LCDs, then yes there will be the same scaling problem. SEDs can, in theory at least, easily support a much higher density (e.g. much smaller pixels), so scaling would be doable with few if any artifacts. I doubt the first panels will exceed LCDs in this regard, however.

So you'll just have to settle for far better contrast, brightness, speed, color rendition, viewing angle, and lifespan :).

I guess my question is this, will the CED's be glassy glossy, or Panel Matte?
Surface finish isn't inherent in the technology, so it could go either way. If I had to guess, I'd expect the first panels to have a more reflective finish than the average LCD, but I'm sure manufacturers will eventually cater to different tastes.

Back