What is popular for password management?

robbro9

n00b
Ironically enough, I had to reset my password to log in to post this...

But as with many other people, my password situation is a mess. Between tons of websites, some frequently visited, some rarely visited, all with different password rules, and the breaches and all of late, I want a simpler way to manage my passwords, and at the same time, I want to be able to use more complex, random passwords. I have been using KeePass for a few years, just a little password protected database to store websites, logins and passwords in, but its cumbersome. I have to manually open it, copy/paste any data between it and the browser etc... and I just have not used it to break away from my password patterns.

I'm thinking of using something more automatic, a password manager that automatically logs in or at least automatically populates passwords. Whats popular/safe/effective? This will primarily be used on 2 pc's, one at home one at work. Being able to use it on an android would be a small benefit, but not critical at all. What is it I am looking for?

CacaSapo

Limp Gawd
" I have to manually open it, copy/paste any data between it and the browser"
lolwut?
CTRL-ALT-A after adding the site's login page to the auto-type page in the password entry's page. This is needed for most pages, I've found. I also remove the "- Google Chrome" and add a * to the entry.

I host my password database on FTP, thus it's accessible from inside and outside my network, also run the keepass android app, which also accesses the database via FTP.

k1pp3r

Supreme [H]ardness
In keepass you can double click on the password field and it copies it to they clipboard.

But for you i recommend roboforms.

devman

2[H]4U
Been using LastPass for years, just upgraded to LastPass premium last year. No complaints. Before LastPass I used KeePass.

I tried some of the DIY KeePass syncing for awhile, but then I tried LastPass and it just works and the browser integration works well on all the platforms I use (Android phone, Macbook, Windows PC, and a Linux workstation). The syncing is great and completely automatic.

If you do end up using lastpass I recommend using two-factor authentication (they support Google Authenticator for free)

acascianelli

Supreme [H]ardness
Using KeePass, I have the database accessible from the internet by SFTP so I can access/download it from my iOS devices and other PC's. Database file is protected by both password and keyfile.

Saturn_V

[H]ard|Gawd
Also using KeePass for the past three years. No complaints. Access to database is available on all my devices.

and I just have not used it to break away from my password patterns.
There's an option in the Password Generator to "derive from previous password." That's how I broke up all of my repeated passwords across multiple sites.

The only bad password habit I have left is I haven't changed the master KDBX password since I started using it.

drdeutsch

2[H]4U
Been using keepass for years. I just sync it between my computers using Sugarsync. One very strong password + key file to open it up, after that, it's pretty easy to fill in username/password fields.

zero2dash

Supreme [H]ardness
Keepass 2x + cloud service to store the .dbx (I use Dropbox; obviously there's also Google Drive, OneDrive, SugarSync, etc.)
Ctrl+V autofills ("Auto-type") both username and password into a browser (or any open window, including application windows).
Ctrl+B copies username, Ctrl+C copies password (if you want to do them single).

KeeFox is available for Firefox and adds some of the LastPass-esque features in (tapping into your Keepass DB), but there's no good Keepass plugin for Chrome, unfortunately.

TomWalker

n00b
I'm using KeePass. However, still prefer to keep my file with passwords offline, do not trust any cloud services.

D

Deleted member 126051

I'm still using a Mark 1 Brain.

It's not as reliable as it was in the old days. But it's done pretty good for most of the last 41 years.

Occasionally I'll get nothing but a bunch of flatus noises emerging from my ears and need a reboot, and the 4-8 hour reboot times are a bitch. But it works.

ChristianVirtual

[H]ard DCOTM x3
I'm a happy user of 1password on iPad and Mac , syncs well across devices and backup to dropbox or cloud. Nor sure if they windows or android versions though.