What is PfModNT & Slow bootup "Verifying DMI Data Pool"?

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 18, 2002
Messages
346
I have two questions:

1. I went through my Device Manager and checked for anything under "Hidden Devices." To my surprise, there was a PfModNT type of device that had the yellow exclamation mark above it. So I right click and noticed that the service was stopped. I tried clicking start and it said the file could not be found. Could this also be an IRQ conflicts. How do you check if you have any IRQ hardware conflicts and then how do you change them, if you do? Does anyone know exactly what is PfModNT is?

2. Just recently, I notice that my PC now hangs for like 5 seconds at startup right before it loads Windows. There's a message that says "verifying dmi pool data" and hangs for a few seconds, then resumes to load Windows. I haven't installed any new hardware except a chipset fan within the past weeks, and it seems to be hanging for a few seconds right before Windows load. What could this mean?
 
OK, I seem to have fixed the 1st problem, but still haven't figured out what the second problem is. Maybe the second problem is normal cause on my brother's athlon XP 2100+, it does the same thing, it lags/delays for like 4 or 5 seconds, then loads Windows, but I remember clearly it never did this before. Perhaps this is a normal occurance? I did a search on google regarding the DMI Data pool. It appears that it refers to possibly the hard drive also, or something else... which I still have no idea of.
 
The Desktop Management Interface (DMI) is a new method of managing computers hardware information or "pool data". This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components. In other words, if you change any hardware on your computer the harddrive holds a record of this. And from then on it verifies that everything in that record checks out. This could've occured when you added your new hardware.

Also, some systems may experience a hang condition after partitioning, formatting and initial boot-up of a hard drive. A hang could also occur if changes were made to the motherboards BIOS settings, changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data. The message, "Verifying DMI Pool Data" appears and the system hangs. This condition may continue even after the physical drive has been removed from the system. To correct this problem you could reset cmos, but honestly I would not worry about it. If you have anymore questions let me know.
 
Hmm. I didn't really add any new hardware except a fan that connected onto the heatsink which has no relation to the computer except through the use of an additional molex connector.
 
Do you guys know if SOFTWARE impacts the DMI Data Pool? I thought it only meant something hardware-related. Cause I dont have any new hardware except a fan (if you count that has hardware) that uses an additional molex connector. I have, downloaded lots of software programs including AntiViruses, drivers, etc....does that affect the DMI Data Pool? (although I dont think it does)
 
Back
Top