What is needed to play full DVD over wifi

exe

Limp Gawd
I have DVDs on my desktop computer that are almost 1:1 rip from DVD. That means they are about 4GB in size, contains .IFO .VOB etc files. The reason I didn't transcode it is that I needed the full menu to navigate the DVD (they are instructional DVDs).

I have an old Linksys G (54GL) router that has Tomato firmware. I cannot smoothly watch the DVDs when I try to connect to the desktop with my laptop. I can watch other rips that are in other formats like mp4 etc.

What do I need? Is wifi bandwidth the issue here? Do I need an N or AC router? If the answer is yes, which is preferred, there are used one in my area, currently I see Netgear R7000 AC1900 and Asus RT-AC68U used for sale.

I've had my R6250 AC1600 for several years now and it does a great job of streaming several similar sized movies at the same time throughout the house from my nas.

Go with AC 5ghz for sure.

Is wifi bandwidth the issue here?
In a word yes.

From my personal experience N was a giant step forward over G and B. When we upgraded to N we no longer got knocked off line when the microwave ran and speeds were dramatically increased to where they approached 100mb either net and we could get internet in the back bedroom. AC is the next step forward in speed but only applies to 5ghz.

In short, anything N and above should work fine for you.

Back