• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What is lacking with this PSU?

jhelmer25

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
5
Hello, everyone. I recently built a powerful computer with the following hardware:

Power: Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750-watt silver certified


Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K, overclocked to 4.4GHz stable for 24/7 use
Cooler: Zalman CNPX11S
Fans:
- Four (4x) COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm BLUE LED
- One (1x) NZXT FN-200RB 200mm BLUE LED
Graphics: EVGA GTX 480
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (16GB : 4x4GB)
Bluetooth: Rocketfish RF-MRBTAD
Webcam: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Wireless: Netgear WN311B Wireless-N
Optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST CD/DVD +/- R/RW
Sound: ASUS Xonar Essence STX (Windows only)
Case: NZXT Phantom
SATA:
- Two (2x) OCZ Vertex 3 SATAIII Solid-State (SSD) 240GB (480GB total) for operating system and applications
- Three (3x) Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB SATAIII HDD (6TB total) for storage
Keyboards:
- Logitech G110 USB LED Gaming keyboard
- Logitech diNovo Edge Bluetooth Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech LX7


After one week, when simply surfing the web, my machine shut off instantly and would not turn back on. I had a backup CORSAIR 750HX that I hooked up to it, and now it's up-and-running again.

I removed the overclocking on the CPU so it runs at 3.4, and the case fans and optical drive aren't currently plugged in. I'm afraid it will happen again.


What am i missing here? My understanding is this PSU is plenty adequate? 750W +12V@60A
 
Generally speaking, that 750 watt corsair is more than enough for what you've built. It's possible it's going bad, but it wouldn't be from over loading.
 
I had a friend who bought one of those and it was flaky from the start. I would just get it replaced. I think it was just a weak PSU. I normally avoid Corsair as far as power supplies, I like ECZ, they are ok.
 
After one week, when simply surfing the web, my machine shut off instantly and would not turn back on. I had a backup CORSAIR 750HX that I hooked up to it, and now it's up-and-running again.

I removed the overclocking on the CPU so it runs at 3.4, and the case fans and optical drive aren't currently plugged in. I'm afraid it will happen again.


What am i missing here? My understanding is this PSU is plenty adequate? 750W +12V@60A

I just replaced an 850w thermaltake power supply. I checked the voltages with a multimeter...all voltages were solid. Still had shut-down problems...had to stop overclocking to get my system to run stable with it.

Installed a silver-rated thermaltake 775w...a much better power supply. I'm overclocked without a single shutdown yet.

If you are still under warranty, of course get a replacement from Corsair if you can. Just because Corsair has a solid reputation doesn't mean there can't be an issue with the PS, tho.
 
OK, so what I am hearing is that the PSU make/model & ratings are adequate, but it is likely that I received a defective model.

I hear great things about CORSAIR - I have a backup of the exact same PSU, so I will use it if the community agrees that it is sufficient to supply all of my heavy-duty hardware.

In the event that this one goes out as well, should I look for a more powerful PSU? Or just a different brand?
 
By the way - I really appreciate everyone's quick responses. I want to get all my opticals and case fans hooked back up again, but i'm afraid to do so until you guys verify that the PSU is adequate, and I just had a defective one.
 
call their tech support, I am sure they can help you trouble shoot this.
 
OK, so what I am hearing is that the PSU make/model & ratings are adequate, but it is likely that I received a defective model.
Bingo.
In the event that this one goes out as well, should I look for a more powerful PSU? Or just a different brand?
If that does happen, you have really bad luck. However, I would just get it replaced under warranty and continue to use the same model. The HX750 is a very good PSU, and if you can get one that isn't defective, there's no reason to buy a different PSU instead of using it.
 
@Zero82z-

Thanks a ton for your support.

Do other people agree with what Zero82z is saying?
 
He is right. The Corsair HX power supplies are very good, and should have no problems whatsoever powering your system. Besides, your main power consumers are the CPU and graphics card, not the fans or hard drives.

I had a Seasonic M12D 750 watt (Seasonic's equivalent to the HX750, similar quality) power two GTX 470's and an overclocked Phenom II 1090T, which uses much more power than your setup, without any problems.
 
Seasonic make Corsairs HX line...

A quality 600 should be adaquate too.

CWT makes the HX line. Seasonic makes the AX and TX V2 line except for the 1200.
 
Last edited:
The new ones i;m guessing, as the old hx are basically seasonic m series, was what i gleemed from the corsair forum.

But i do now remember them switching parent companies.
 
The HX450, HX520, and HX620 were manufactured by Seasonic. The current HX650 is also manufactured by Seasonic. The HX750, HX850, HX1000, and HX1050 are manufactured by CWT.
 
I had an HX520 that flaked out on me. I had to set everything back to default and even at it wouldn't always want to boot. It would usually run fine unless I put a load on the CPU and then at random times within 2 minutes it would reboot and many times it wouldn't make it into Windows after rebooting. I thought it was a bad CPu from OC'ing, then I thought it was my video card that already has isues, then I thought it was the memory, but finally narrowed down a failing PSU. I sent it in and Corsair sent me a replacement HX620 or 650 HX, one of the two, I can't remember now since I have it as a backup! The Seasonic models are excellent, but you do get duds here and there, or they just stop working correctly.
 
@Zero82z-

Thanks a ton for your support.

Do other people agree with what Zero82z is saying?

I concur with Zero, Corsair's PSU's are generally very good PSU's. I did have an older Seasonic HX520 flake out, but I explain that in an earlier post.
 
The HX450, HX520, and HX620 were manufactured by Seasonic. The current HX650 is also manufactured by Seasonic. The HX750, HX850, HX1000, and HX1050 are manufactured by CWT.

Pretty complicated, but that's how it is, at least according to that list of PSU manufacturers at Tom's. This, of course, brings up the question whether there is anything to worry about with Corsair's CWT designs, or if this is just a relatively rare bad apple.

In any case, you should go through the RMA process.
 
Pretty complicated, but that's how it is, at least according to that list of PSU manufacturers at Tom's. This, of course, brings up the question whether there is anything to worry about with Corsair's CWT designs, or if this is just a relatively rare bad apple.
That list isn't particularly comprehensive. Don't rely on it. And no, it's not that complicated, especially considering the fact that 99% of people don't need to worry about that information in the first place.

No, this doesn't bring up any questions about Corsair's CWT-manufactured products, and no, there is nothing to worry about.
 
I had a friend who bought one of those and it was flaky from the start. I would just get it replaced. I think it was just a weak PSU. I normally avoid Corsair as far as power supplies, I like ECZ, they are ok.

Yeah sounds like you might have gotten a bad one OP.

I had a few 1200W PSU's that would never turn on reliably for whatever reason. Sent them back and got a replacement from the OEM and those were fine. They did really weird shit like if you turn the computer off, you had to cycle the PSU the next time you wanted to turn it back on. :mad: :D

Just call Corsair and see what they say.
 
Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll continue using the HX750 (since i have a spare) and ship the other one back for a refund.
 
Back
Top