What is Intel doing? Overclock Lock

paladin0

Gawd
I just read this over at anand tech, I don’t see any posts about it yet so I thought id start one.

Apparently Intel is trying to limit overclocks to 10% above the cpus rated speed. The mobo manufacturers will most likely get around this. They already have to large extent. That is beside the point though. Why would Intel do this? Are people frying cpus left and right and Intel is being hit with large return costs. Are the Prescotts just too hot/dangerous to overclock. I don’t this is the case I’m just speculating.

Anandtech Article

What do you guys think of this?

Intel is doing it because they want to give the entire enthusiast and overclocking community to AMD so their (AMD's) profits get nice and fat so they can then develop more things to rival Intel. :p

Intel is just obviously tired of being in the top spot and needs a rest.

....yeah RIGHT!....

nst6563 said:
Intel is doing it because they want to give the entire enthusiast and overclocking community to AMD so their (AMD's) profits get nice and fat so they can then develop more things to rival Intel. :p

Intel is just obviously tired of being in the top spot and needs a rest.

....yeah RIGHT!....

But in all seriousness if intel pursues this they will lose ground in the enthusiast market. I for one dont want my OC limited by anything other than temperature, voltage, and the cpu im working with.

On the other hand, the enthusiast market probably isn't as big as the general user. Most people are like my mom: They want to turn the machine on and have it work.

Master [H] said:
On the other hand, the enthusiast market probably isn't as big as the general user. Most people are like my mom: They want to turn the machine on and have it work.

Yeah, and your mom doesn't install a nitrogen cooling kit and OC her xeons either.

Either Intel is concerned that enthusiasts are getting more Mhz than they pay Intel for (and thus could generate more revenue from locking in clock speeds by encouraging them to purchase higher Mhz CPUs) or there is some overheating problem. I'd speculate some pompous CEOs are thinking the former :(

trib said:
Yeah, and your mom doesn't install a nitrogen cooling kit and OC her xeons either.

Either Intel is concerned that enthusiasts are getting more Mhz than they pay Intel for (and thus could generate more revenue from locking in clock speeds by encouraging them to purchase higher Mhz CPUs) or there is some overheating problem. I'd speculate some pompous CEOs are thinking the former :(

Yeah, and if that is indeed what they are thinking (more revenue) it will completely back fire with AMD doing so well right now. Then again since the enthusiast market is relatively small i dont think this is the true reason.

Hell man, this wouldn't be a reason for me personally to not buy intel again. It'd be the fact that the Athlon 64's are whoopin Intel's best in performance.

Master [H] said:

How does letting people overclock effect the general users? I havet heard of any recent companies trying to illegally sell overclocked chips to unsuspecting users. My point is the general users will probably never use an overclocked machine all the computers they might buy or use would work as they should. Could possibly be something they are worried about though.

Well Intel locked multipliers and motherboard manufacturers gave us FSB control. Multipliers used to be the ONLY way to overclock. Now it's preffered if you can get it, but mostly we've just been using FSB for the last couple years.

So they motherboard makers will have our backs and do what they can. They always do.

paladin0 said:
How does letting people overclock effect the general users? I havet heard of any recent companies trying to illegally sell overclocked chips to unsuspecting users. My point is the general users will probably never use an overclocked machine all the computers they might buy or use would work as they should. Could possibly be something they are worried about though.

That's not what I'm referring to. It's to the people having a cow over that Intel might be stopping overclocking altogether on their CPU's. I'm just saying that the enthusiast isn't the big market, so that's not who Intel's all that worried about losing.

Asus beat the overclocking lock so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The enthusiast "individuals" do not control much of the market. But those enthusiasts have their fingers into everything. We are the most vocal of all of their users. If they put out something good, we are the first to praise it. If they put out something bad, we are the first to shun them.

Large companies will often times make buying decisions based on the knowledge of an enthusiast or group of them. It would be a very large mistake to offend us. When my company wants to make a technological purchase, they come to me first. I do not control the money, but I do control the decision. Outside of my company, I have influenced the buying decisions of countless individuals. I am very very confident that there are many others like me.

Thusly, I have been pro-AMD for a while now. I value flexibility, and do not like being told what to do. Hard cold fact is this: Early adopters are GAMERS! , and many many gamers are enthusiasts.

kick@ss said:
Asus beat the overclocking lock so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Only partially. It is my understanding that the P5AD2 is still limited in it's overclockability. Just less so than it's counterparts from other companies.

With unlocked CPU's the LGA775 boards should scream. Since they were built for Prescott specifically, they should be more reliable than your garden variety socket 478 board with a Prescott.

So hopefully manufacturers are going to get around this OC lock in the future.

Back