What is hyperthreading? Do I need it?

Nutzy

Limp Gawd
I am interested in switiching over to Intel, and I was just wondering...Do I need Hyperthreading?

hyperthreading is a way that makes 1 prossecor look like 2 to the computer, this way if your multitasking like crazy the CPU can work with two threads instead of just 1

its really helpful if you encode video and stuff i think beacseu you can do that in the background and your work on the foreground will be unaffected.

Yea, but is it worth the extra money....if you do mainly gaming...

Originally posted by Nutzy
Yea, but is it worth the extra money....if you do mainly gaming...

Well if your smart and buy one of the new Intel Pentium 4's to start with it comes FREE with every purchase ;) .

Even without hyperthreading there isn't an Athlon XP out there that can outperform a Pentium 4c thats clocked over 3Ghz.

You can find 2.4c's under $170 bucks.

Hyperthreading is good technology, but you do not neeeed it for anything.

But I recommend getting a Processor with it.

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U
Hyperthreading is good technology, but you do not neeeed it for anything.

But I recommend getting a Processor with it.

You need it as much as someone else needs a 64-bit processor without a 64bit OS and apps lol. :p

I use Adobe Premiere and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY how fast in encodes/does tranformations with HT enabled. I went from a 2.4B to a 2.4C w/ HT and I'm in love.

Originally posted by typhoon43
I use Adobe Premiere and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY how fast in encodes/does tranformations with HT enabled. I went from a 2.4B to a 2.4C w/ HT and I'm in love.

In my case it isn't *that* drastic, TYVM...however, HT does have some bennies in every day use.

I went from a 2.4B (no HT) to a 2.6C (with HT), but kept the same RAM (DDR333). Even though the RAM *dropped* in speed (to DDR320 levels), performance went *way up*...and it shouldn't have. Then I noticed that I saw the hourglass a lot less in one of my primary applications: Microsoft Outlook 2003 (my e-mail application of choice). Then I started checking other apps (especially Outlook's suitemate Word 2003), and noticed that multi-component applications (like Outlook) and/or highly threaded applications (Word) spread the load across both virtual processors.

As more such applications ship, this will only become more evident.

Hyperthreading is great technology... it is the primary reason I chose a Intel over AMD this time around.

Originally posted by ShuttleLuv
Gaming...no. Apps that take advantage...yes.

Name some apps that take advantage of HT please? I really want to play around with this.

Does any game thus far take advantage of this feature? UT2K4 maybe?

Back