What is everyone's favorite PC multiplayer game?

Desert Combat....and more recently DC:Final....Im sure Ill be playing it till at least March...When Battlefield 2 Comes out...Hopefully! :D

ATW said:
Ditto on that one...it's still as fun as the day I bought it right after release. Unfortunately the community is a fraction of what it once was, so it's lost some of it's luster, which is quite upsetting.
If you look on gamesyp's stats page, there are still usually 5k people playing it at peek hours. That is quite a lot and enough to bring it into second place once in a while.

SC or CS

Starcraft or CounterStrike (or CS:S nowadays).

I haven't played SC this year, but I actually got back into it just last year, and before that I had gotten "back" into it in '01 when some seniors in HS decided that we should get the group back together for some games before everyone graduated.

For the love of god, I hope they do SC:2 as well as SC. I'm a lil worried as the big 4 have left and Blizz is under some different control, so we're gonna see.

CS:S or Homeworld or Dawn of War depending on how crap my day at work has been.

dariob said:
Not Q3? Blasphemy! :)
blasphemy what

- q2 rail had a beefier sound and felt stronger (it was really the same strength but it felt weaker in q3 since you started with 125 health)
- q2dm1. nuff said. remains my favorite deathmatch map of all time for ANY game. no remake can top the original for that matter
- chaingun = :D
- lithium
- q2ctf
- WEAPONS FACTORY

ug_rulz_all said:
blasphemy what

- q2 rail had a beefier sound and felt stronger (it was really the same strength but it felt weaker in q3 since you started with 125 health)
- q2dm1. nuff said. remains my favorite deathmatch map of all time for ANY game. no remake can top the original for that matter
- chaingun = :D
- lithium
- q2ctf
- WEAPONS FACTORY

Ok, well its just that the q2 physics always felt klunky to me in MP. Q3 was more fun for me mainly because the movement felt so much smoother.

i used to play starcraft, counter strike, team fortress classic, etc etc, etc

played day of defeat for about 3 years...absolutely amazing game

tried cod, loved sp hated mp....got expansion sp was cool, multiplayer was fan-freakin-tastic

still playin cod:uo....warcraft 3 on occasion....hl2 and WoW for christmas means ill prolly be playin those

I've played CS on and off since 1.3. Right now I'm having a blast with CS:S. The only other online game I ever really got into was Warcraft 3. I don't even want to think about how many hours I blew on that game.

counter strike source right now and halo 2 multiplayer every now and then

-warsaw

By far at the moment I'd have to say Counter-Strike: Source even though VALVe has no anti-cheat system and place, and I've gotten bullshitted by a few wallhackasaurs so far (yes, they already exist). Put in about 30+ hours on that since it came out retail....and found my first hatred for steam lol. A close second would be UT2K4, but I uninstalled it because my little 30gig was running out of space....the install size is unneccessarily HUGE...

HaloCE is also tied with UT...I never got an X-Box but loved halo...but there's zero support for it anymore, and hacking is used almost on every server :( Plus my videocard I have now for some reason does some weird stuff in Halo, such as text does not show up, and the FRG's don't show up? lol, still fun anyway tho....

Dammit, now I've got the ambition to take out my 160gig from my server and format it and make it my main drive to run UT2K4 on my new setup now...damn you guys! :D

ut2004 cuse its prefect in every way. its like some kind a super game. Like q3 and ut had a baby. fuck cs. its for camping homos.

CS:S has my attention as of late. Before that... it was the battlefield series and its associated mods.

Tribes:vengeance

plain and simple.

its challenging..its got a steep learning curve..but once you get into it..its addicting.

UT2004...i actually started a clan, but that really hasn't been all the greatest success

CS 1.6 used to take up a lot of my time, but now its CS:S

WillowHawk said:
Tribes:vengeance

plain and simple.

its challenging..its got a steep learning curve..but once you get into it..its addicting.
I expected it to be my favorite game but I am afraid it is not as great as I would have liked. The world seems to agree because the number of people playing it online are really weak. Unlike the first two which were big sucesses, this one hardly even has 300 players online at peak hours. I had so much fun with the first two but they changed this one to be so noobie friendly that all the vets of the series just do not like it very much.

Quake 3
Tribes 2
Return to castle Wolfenstien
Medal of honor AA
Soldier of fortune 2
Doom 3

All these are my favorite mulitplayer games that I play even today. :D

Staples said:
I expected it to be my favorite game but I am afraid it is not as great as I would have liked. The world seems to agree because the number of people playing it online are really weak. Unlike the first two which were big sucesses, this one hardly even has 300 players online at peak hours. I had so much fun with the first two but they changed this one to be so noobie friendly that all the vets of the series just do not like it very much.

actually this is the first time that i have ever even heard of tribes...but thanks to you, i will definitly check out the first game...

question tho (without highjacking) what makes the latest tribes different from the first versions?

EQ2 is my current favorite.

My all-time favorite is Doom 2.

My backups are EQ1 and Counterstrike (any PC version)

quake 3: rocket arena = ra3

Its the only multiplayer game that I still play since it was created, even more than q2ra and lithium... Thankfully even eq... its the physics of the q3 engine.. the movement and speed. :)

For online probably CoD: UO at the moment.

For LAN gaming, any of the UT series.

WillowHawk said:
actually this is the first time that i have ever even heard of tribes...but thanks to you, i will definitly check out the first game...

question tho (without highjacking) what makes the latest tribes different from the first versions?
The first two had many more deployabes, automated turruts, more speed, and just involved a lot more strategy to play and be good than this one takes. Someone can come in and pick this one up in a few days and be as good as people who have been playing this game for years. Sensor jammer and clock packs used to be available and they were great for sneaking into bases without setting off alarms. Anyway, here is the list of how many people play it online. You will see that the first one release 6 years ago has more players than this 2 month old game. The numbers for T2 are not listed on gamespy but there are still a few hundred.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

Tribes:Vengeance is really good, but there is less team work. It seemed to me that tribes 2 made you play as a team or you just lost, it was just that simple.

They have really improved Star Wars battlefront with the lastest patch, it's the game i'm playing the most right now, and it really is alot fun, they do need some bigger maps.

I'm at level 24 on Age of Mythology gold, I like this better then Rise of Nations both are really good games, but TA still is the best RTS game.

Started a season of NBA Live 2005, online can be alot of fun. All the EA sports games are fun online and they have a really nice match making service.

Last but not least whoever said Rocket Areana rulz , I'm with on that one I think I played so much RA2 my arm fell off.

trashcan said:
All the EA sports games are fun online and they have a really nice match making service.

That's not true. I wanted to play MVP Baseball '04 online and it can only be done over IP with a buddy. I don't know anyone that has it, so I'm SOL.

archevilangel said:
TFC, been playing fromt he beginning, competive for around 2 years.

Same here man, I used to play it all the time. I played for about 3-4 years. I finally had to give it up last year. The game was just getting old. I couldn't play it anymore. Still though, I find it one of the most fun games i've ever played online. I could get into it, especially with my clan.

Back