What is eating all my cpu power and resources!?

Something has been taking up upwards of 50 percent of my cpu percentage use when my computer is just idle, and i cannot figure out what it is. I have done full virus scans with avg, i have done full spyware scans with both microsoft spyware sanner and ad aware. I have done a hijack this log with nothing out of the ordinary in it, and i still cannot identify anything that would be taking up all my cpu power

In the running processes in xp the only thing that says is taking up cpu power in system idle process, which is at like 99 percent, but it always says that, and when it's working right it's not using any of the cpu power. Does anybody have any ideas here?

thanks

Eric

System Idle Process is just that -- the system idling. You expect it to be 99% or so virtually all of the time.

i know, exactly, but i said "system idle process, which is at like 99 percent, but it always says that, and when it's working right it's not using any of the cpu power."

It's fine when i first boot it up, it says 99 percent on system idle process, but then when you click on performance and go to the graph that show cpu usage, it still shows 0 or 2 percent. But after i have the computer on for a little bit, that changes to over 50 percent, with nothing else running in the processes list other than system idle taking up 99 percent

Makave7i Tha Don said:
i know, exactly, but i said "system idle process, which is at like 99 percent, but it always says that, and when it's working right it's not using any of the cpu power."

It's fine when i first boot it up, it says 99 percent on system idle process, but then when you click on performance and go to the graph that show cpu usage, it still shows 0 or 2 percent. But after i have the computer on for a little bit, that changes to over 50 percent, with nothing else running in the processes list other than system idle taking up 99 percent
That doesn't sound right. The graph is just a graph of the numbers reported in the performance tab. Screen pic to show us what you are seeing?

seems to be fixed now, i deleted some unneccessary stuff in the boot start up in msconfig and now it's not doing it anymore. We'll see how long it lasts

It could be file indexing, in your search options. When you have this feature enabled, when the computer is idle, it indexes your folder tree to decrease search time.

Back