What is DOCSIS?

DaMaDo

Gawd
I thought my cable modem was bad (it started working again) so I bought a new motorola SURFboard which is compliant for DOCSIS 1.1 and 2.0

I'm not even sure if my very old linksys cable modem has it at all.

I'm wondering if there is any benefit to keeping this new modem or should I just return it? I haven't opened it yet. If my old one is DOCSIS compliant at all it would be 1.0

DOCSIS 1.1 is the current standard used by most cable companies in America. DOCSIS 2.0 is looking to be the future standard which, when your cable provider upgrades its equipment, will result in faster speeds. I think I remember the main advange being faster upload. Yeah its good that it has both, but with the economy the way it is dont count on faster cable speeds anytime soon. So I'd just return it and keep your old Linksys, unless you think it might give you problems in the future.

Edit- It stands for Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications (if you really care)

Does anyone have a link to a site listing which cable modems are DOCSIS compliant and at what level? Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Is my modem with 1.0 suffering performance?

I know I saw a list of almost every single cable modem made and it had the type of DOCSIS in a huge table, but I can't find it....try google and "docsis" I think I went up to page 4 in the google search. Might have been a link from a link though =(

Just wanted to let you know the list does indeed exist =)

Not really, its mostly just updates that benefit the cable company.

Edit - go to Google and search for "will docsis 1.0 work on 1.1" and click the first link to cisco. Its a good faq.

Originally posted by zeroARMY
The SURFboard 5100 is the best available.

What makes it the "best"?

I can get a rebate which would make it come out to $59

Might be worth keeping =/

Edit: Good FAQ on the cisco site. A lot is over my head, but seems as if the newer version might let the modem manage downstream and upstream better and might achieve a higher speed no?

Nope, I have a really old ass SURFboard that I got when I got cable modem service 4 years ago.

I said the 5100 cause I and everyone else I know with SURFboard modems love them. Not the same experences with other modem like Linksys. The 5100 has DOCSIS 2.0 and it looks cool and is it small, so that's why I consider it the best.

Back