what is best price/performance intel now?

shamgar

Limp Gawd
with all of the new intel cpus coming out

which one is the best for price+performance?

i know a lot of people bought the e2160 but what about the e2180?
are the e4xxx series any good

and i see the new thing to do is try to get the e8400, as it is really good but it seems to be really expensive

does anyone have any idea about what one is best with price and performance included?

what about the intel quad cores? i am thinking that eventually someday we will be in the same scenario where we used to say we only need a single core for gaming, and now we need dual cores. i am guessing someday more programs and software will be better programmed to use more cores, as this seems the path of the future with the 8 core skulltrail (or whatever it is called) comes out

anyway thanks as my last system was an opteron 170 but with all of the intel cpus out and their ability to overclock super well, i am thinking about purchasing an intel cpu and motherboard

what about the next gen of 4core processors from intel
will they be decenty priced?
what are the model numbers

nice thanks for the link

that is why i purchased the opteron 170 over the 165, it had a higher multiplier and it was a lot easier to overclock.

what does the Intel® Trusted Execution Technology mean?

and i guess the q6600 will be better than the q9300 right?
maybe not in max overclock but in L2 size

anyone have any benchmarks of them yet? they are supposed to come out soon correct?

I'd say either the Q6600 or the E8400 depending if you want to pay more or less. The greatness of the E8400 is its incredible overclockability. Everyone above has already told you the charm of the Q6600.

Trusted Execution is all about the Execute Disable bit ... this will protect you from exploits similar to buffer overflows / stack smashing if your OS sets the bit, but if you keep current on your updates, have good virus protection, and generally avoid sketchy web sites you're probable OK without it. Choosing a processor on this basis is like choosing a car based on getting free floor mats ;)

q9300 will probably hit 270 $US in a few months if you can wait, while Q6600 is $250 already. I have no idea what stepping to recommend in Q9300, but in Q6600 the G0 is king and there are tons of examples posted all over [H] of 3.6GHz on air cooling. In theory, Q9300 could go higher, but it really depends on maturity and stepping.

I like extra cache, but keep in mind Intel is just stating the total cache on the die - it isn't always unified. If the cache is split 4mb/2cores + 4mb/2 cores, that 8mb is really 4mb caching the same stuff twice. I forget atm where all that extra detail is documented, but it is worth a google search if you want to know. I really don't see a big difference between 4/6/8mb caches, but jumping to 12 is huge.

There are plenty of benchies online, just google q9300 or q6600 ... not vouching for this as an example as I didn't read it, but it was at the top of the google search: http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7102.html

If the E8400 is too expensive for you, the E2180s have been overclocking above 3.0 pretty reliably, and you can't beat that price with a stick - seriously, $80 for that chip is crazy.

If the E8400 is too expensive for you, the E2180s have been overclocking above 3.0 pretty reliably, and you can't beat that price with a stick - seriously, $80 for that chip is crazy.
Good point - $80 gets you into a very capable CPU

Trusted Execution is all about the Execute Disable bit ... this will protect you from exploits similar to buffer overflows / stack smashing if your OS sets the bit, but if you keep current on your updates, have good virus protection, and generally avoid sketchy web sites you're probable OK without it. Choosing a processor on this basis is like choosing a car based on getting free floor mats ;)

Actually it's not about that at all

It's related to TPMs and running verified code, etc...

The Execute Disable Bit is an AMD64/EMT64 feature tho has been around in some form on the x86 platform since the 286 days. This feature unfortunately limits the maximum addressable memory in 64 bits to 8 Exobytes instead of 16...

Currently Trusted Execution is targeted more to business and government usage, tho as paranoid (for right or for wrong) as some folk around here are, you may specifically NOT want it.

And yeah, keeping your system updated is good and all, but running with DEP enabled makes buffer overflow attacks impossible, unless the program is specifically designed to make the stack executable, in which case it was specifically designed to let hackers in anyway and no amount of updates can fix that.

q6600 at Microcenter for $199 = quad core at 3+Ghz overclocked
e8400 are also pretty good too considering they overclock to 4Ghz generally.
e2160/2180 = 50-100% overclocks = pretty awesome too on the cheap

I know there's a lot of love for the q6600's in here, but my vote goes to the dual cores either the e2180 or e8400....they overclock much better than the quads. Additionally, most of today's programs <still> don't take advantage of quad core, so dual core's are more practical in everyday apps....

The E8400 isn't a good choice for any save the most hardcore of the "I'll upgrade in 6 months and performance with today's games is /all/ that matters to me, cost is no object" crowd. It's E2180 right now, or Q6600. Period.

The new quads may be valid options, but I suspect there will be serious price gouging for a while.

The E8400 isn't a good choice for any save the most hardcore of the "I'll upgrade in 6 months and performance with today's games is /all/ that matters to me, cost is no object" crowd. It's E2180 right now, or Q6600. Period.

The new quads may be valid options, but I suspect there will be serious price gouging for a while.

Please, an overclocked to 4 Ghz dual-core is going to be plenty of processing power well into next year, and probably well after that. Unless you are doing something that requires quad cores - and I wouldn't consider occasional DVD ripping to qualify - you are absolutely fine with an E8400. The E2180 is still a great deal also. If quad-core is such a requirement, why is Intel still making less than 10% quad-cores?

Currently Trusted Execution is targeted more to business and government usage, tho as paranoid (for right or for wrong) as some folk around here are, you may specifically NOT want it.

Well, I'm not sure if it makes much difference if you don't have a TPM motherboard, and most retail motherboards do not have one?

but wont the q9300 have less cache than the q6600?
so wouldnt that be a negative point to that processor in comparison to the q6600 right now

The Q9300 does have less cache than the Q6600, although it's still a bit faster - then Penryn architecture is faster clock-for-clock. But many enthusiasts are likely to be looking at the Q9450 rather than the Q9300 - you can overclock to largely make up for lower clock speeds, but you can't add extra cache.

Back