What is ATI's answer to the 8800GTX?

Someones been hiding under a rock. It's R600, due Q1 2007, a 512 bit beastie of still pretty much unknown nature. Do a search, there is lots of threads.

Yeh, but there's also rumors that nVidia is planning to release a refresh of the 8800 series to counter R600. The 8900?

Competition is good. Keeps computers affordable.

LordBritish said:
What is ATI's answer to the 8800GTX?

I would say they don't have an answer and won't for a good two months. Sad to see them continue to miss dates and always have to pit their next generation part against NV's refresh of their next generation part.

R1ckCa1n said:
I would say they don't have an answer and won't for a good two months. Sad to see them continue to miss dates and always have to pit their next generation part against NV's refresh of their next generation part.

Well, to be fair, they got bought up by AMD, and I think there's a lot of confusion or something like that as AMD and ATI ( AMD is American, ATI is Canadian ) combined. Nvidia saw this, and took advantage of it, launching G80. Now ATI has to play catch up.

Just my two cents.

I believe it was actually the other way around: the 8800 was nVidia's response to the x1950 XTX which just blew them away. However, they had the opertunity to make it DX10, and did. That, and now ATi is whooping their ass at the midrange market with the x1950 XT and Pro, which are much more powerful than the 7xxx series and cheap. nVidia may dominate the high end right now, but even at [H] one must realize that the ultra-high-end is a VERY small part of the market. If ATi gets its act together and releases it's entire line of R600s at once (or damn close), nVidia will be whooped completely.

/2 cents

i agree, ati would be wise to release most of their new dx10 cards in all ranges instead of just one big high end card to combat nvidias one big high end, the 8800

InCogneato said:
i agree, ati would be wise to release most of their new dx10 cards in all ranges instead of just one big high end card to combat nvidias one big high end, the 8800

And they probably will. They did that with last gen except the X1800XT. The X1300, X1600, and X1800XL were all released within weeks of each other and announced at the same time. Just took a while to hit shelves in "full blast."

R1ckCa1n said:

How so? Sure the X1800 came out couple months after the the 7800GTX and 7800GT but the X1800XT was a little better than the 7800GTX except the 512 edition. Really the GTX 512 was just to counter the X1800XT and Nvidia even said it was limited time on that card and after the first two months of its release they were a bitch to find. ATI also came out with there refresh before Nvidia did and in some people views the X1900XTX and X1900XT were still better than the 7900GTX and GT(notice how I said some people views and not that there were better).

djBon2112 said:
I believe it was actually the other way around: the 8800 was nVidia's response to the x1950 XTX which just blew them away.

Not true. Original NV plans did not include an NV47 based 7900. 8800 tech (which has been in development for over 4 years) was originally mean't to debut at that time (sans DX10), but wasn't ready.

If you honestly think a chip of the 8800's calibre could be developed in the time period you speak of, then you are deluded.

Night Black said:
Yeh, but there's also rumors that nVidia is planning to release a refresh of the 8800 series to counter R600. The 8900?

Competition is good. Keeps computers affordable.

That's more speculation than rumors. Nvidia wouldn't release a refresh this close to the original's release. Actual drivers, maybe.

ManicOne said:
Not true. Original NV plans did not include an NV47 based 7900. 8800 tech (which has been in development for over 4 years) was originally mean't to debut at that time (sans DX10), but wasn't ready.

If you honestly think a chip of the 8800's calibre could be developed in the time period you speak of, then you are deluded.
Alright, I was proven wrong.

Back