What is AGP/PCI/SRC?

Eihli

Gawd
Can someone explain this setting? I searched on google and was unable to find any explanations regarding it or how to tweak it, or even it's fundamentals.

All I know is, "Changes AGP/PCI/SRC to run asynchronous with CPU FSB."

When you overclock if you dont make it so it says at 33MHz for the PCI then it will make your system unstable.

Wow you guys really helped me out on this one. You completely changed the way I view computers and such, after all I finally know what this setting means. "Keep it on 33mhz if you overclock." Hmm yeah lot of information there, otherwise my computer will "unstable." Why it will become unstable or why they have different options is irrelevant, because I've been taught something out of this world and everything else isn't important.

Thanks hard forum for the vast amount of incite!

Wow, you should be banned for that last post.

That setting locks all 3 of those frequencies to their proper values, because otherwise your compnents would go nuts.
They're all uynder the same setting because they're multiples of each other.
If it wasn't on, when you overclocked your pc your PCI bus would go faster than 33mhz, meaning youd be overclocking your hard drive, sound card, cd rom drive etc. This leads to instability.

I wonder was it even worth my while posting this to help someone so ungrateful...

k no need to get cocky here. Here's your INSIGHT, you illiterate ass:

That AGP/PCI/SRC of yours is a ratio of CPU speed (most likely the SRC) to AGP Bus signal rate (AGP) to PCI bus signal rate (PCI). Usually it looks like 2/1/6. AGP/PCI/SRC respectively. That means if your CPU runs at 200 mhz *front side bus, or HTT*, your AGP port will operate at 66mhz and your PCI will operate at 33mhz.

This option is useful for overclocking. If you up your processor speed, you're effectively upping your AGP and PCI bus speeds as well, which put more stress on your computer's components. If say you put your CPU to about 231mhz, but want your AGP and PCI busses to remain at 66 and 33, you'd set AGP/PCI/SRC to 2/1/7. You may also set it to a FIXED setting, where AGP and PCI are always 66mhz and 33mhz irrespective of your CPU speed.

Is that an insight worth your sarcasm?

Everyone just chill out. The original poster asked for the setting to be explained, and no one explained it until after his most recent post.

Maybe if someone had said "This is what this setting means" instead of "just set it to this" he wouldn't have gotten pissed.

I'm not saying it's right to go and get pissy about it, but it's not right to give someone that's asking a question the mushroom treatment either.

The jerk waits a grand total of 2 hours for an answer to his question before flaming all of hardforum ?

*worlds smallest violin playing just for him*

Sorry, maybe the last response wasn't warranted. The amount of time I waited is irrelevant, since someone responded the thread (even though it's not the answer I was looking for) it would've most likely sunk to the bottom of page one and eventually been gone forever w/o anymore replies.

Back