What is acceptable backlight bleeding on an IPS monitor?

Jarmel

Limp Gawd
My 3008wfp has no dead pixels but it does have some backlight bleeding. I'm wondering if I should sent it back. What should be acceptable?

If you got no dead pixels I would just keep it, unless you watch lots of movies on it, you shouldn't notice the backlight bleeding. Mine has some bleeding in lower left hand corner and a tiny bit at the top but very litttle.

i just returned a monitor that had backlight bleed similar to this Photo. I found this bs and in my opinion shouldnt be allowed to be put through

2-2584550962.jpg

I really dont understand how companies can put monitors like this on the market.

Backlight bleed is one of my pet hates, I dont understand how people put up with it and have returned a couple of monitors because of it. I find backlight bleed infinitely more irritating than TN-induced color inaccuracy.

Backlight bleed is one of my pet hates, I dont understand how people put up with it and have returned a couple of monitors because of it. I find backlight bleed infinitely more irritating than TN-induced color inaccuracy.
It doesn't bother me because I don't see it unless it is a completely black screen, tn colors you see all the time along with dead pixels, which is why they bother me more, but different things bother different people.

i just returned a monitor that had backlight bleed similar to this Photo. I found this bs and in my opinion shouldnt be allowed to be put through

I really dont understand how companies can put monitors like this on the market.
Because nothing is perfect they can't make a perfect monitor, if it bothers you they will exchange it they aren't forcing you to live with it.

Because nothing is perfect they can't make a perfect monitor, if it bothers you they will exchange it they aren't forcing you to live with it.
they could make a perfect monitor easily
they are just too greedy and wanna squeeze out every cent of production costs

They couldn't make a perfect monitor easily, keyword easily. They could do it and lose money on all the monitors that have tiny defects that nobody notices or they could do as you say and "easily" lose money throwing away monitors because of a little backlight bleed or one dead pixel.

They couldn't make a perfect monitor easily, keyword easily. They could do it and lose money on all the monitors that have tiny defects that nobody notices or they could do as you say and "easily" lose money throwing away monitors because of a little backlight bleed or one dead pixel.

the QC on HDTVs has gotten to the point of being out and out bad these days though

the QC on HDTVs has gotten to the point of being out and out bad these days though

Maybe if you buy the cheap ones from some off brand it gets really bad but I haven't had any problems with my sony 46" besides one dead green pixel that you cant see unless its on a green back ground. The lower end I could see getting really bad because they get the low quality panels, anything that's left over.

I wouldnt call the Monitor I posted above alittle backlight bleed at all. It wasnt even a gateway monitor that i took back it was a samsung. I can understand having alittle backlight bleed but i have seen some monitors that should not have passed.

I swear these companies are getting lazy

I wouldnt call the Monitor I posted above alittle backlight bleed at all. It wasnt even a gateway monitor that i took back it was a samsung. I can understand having alittle backlight bleed but i have seen some monitors that should not have passed.

I swear these companies are getting lazy

Yeah thats not a little, a little would be like a tiny bit in one corner or something like that.

It has nothing to do with greed. They make pretty much perfect monitors but most of use aren't willing to pay $1500 for a 24" professional IPS LCD (NEC). The average consumer is going to pick the $200 TN panel over the $1000 one purely based on price. The consumer desire for the cheapest product has driven quality down. Its the same in the airline industry where we buy online based on price so companies started charging for bags so that their ticket prices looks cheaper.

Maybe if you buy the cheap ones from some off brand it gets really bad but I haven't had any problems with my sony 46" besides one dead green pixel that you cant see unless its on a green back ground. The lower end I could see getting really bad because they get the low quality panels, anything that's left over.

how about 55" Samsung C600's? or 6300's or 6500's?
And what about all the talk about clouding on Sony's the other year or the TAB connector's coming loose?

Samsung is sure tossing in every panel off the line this year. So far only the 750s and 8000+ seem to be getting a reasonable amount of good panels.

It does seem to becoming a lazy trend. At first i figured they would have eventually perfected the technology and we are just guinea pigs, however it seems they are just happy where its at, it even almost seems like its getting worse? (Placebo effect maybe?) Maybe they are saving for a big OLED switch?

implying a ±5% led backlighting would add more than 20 bucks to production costs ;)

but even something simple as that is hardly present in 1% of today's tfts
and if its present they're charging 500 bucks extra for it

way to make hundreds of millions a year

It does seem to becoming a lazy trend. At first i figured they would have eventually perfected the technology and we are just guinea pigs, however it seems they are just happy where its at, it even almost seems like its getting worse? (Placebo effect maybe?) Maybe they are saving for a big OLED switch?

I have a BenQ FP202W that I bought 3 years ago, it was a cheaper monitor back then, cheap TN and all that jazz. My newer monitor (bought late last year) is a 24" BenQ and it is no where near as good as the 3 year old FP202W. Its definitely not a placebo effect, I can set them both up next to each other and the 3 year old one has better colors, far less backlight bleed and it seems to have more consistent gamma, brightness and contrast too. The only thing the new 24" has is slightly better blacks and a bigger size, but it sacrifices EVERYTHING else.

Does anyone have a 3008wfp or even just a 30 inch without backlight bleed and can they take a photo of it? Thanks.

My 3008wfp has no dead pixels but it does have some backlight bleeding. I'm wondering if I should sent it back. What should be acceptable?

Just to clarify — you aren't confusing backlight bleed with "white glow" (which is actually tinted with color in most cases), are you? The latter phenomenon will disappear if you put enough distance between yourself and the LCD, looking straight at it on-axis. The former will be visible even from a distance (especially from a distance, in fact, as there's no white glow to compete with it). For a 30" LCD, a distance of three meters should be enough.

My 3007WFP-HC has plenty of white glow but virtually no backlight bleed. There's a very, very dark bluish (or maybe purplish) backlight bleed over a couple inches of the upper-right corner, but I can only see it if I stare at it with the entire screen being black. (I'm not even sure if this is backlight bleed, since it's a deep blue or purple.) However, copious backlight bleed does appear if I press against the edges of the LCD with my fingers.

Ok it turns out there is some white glow in the bottom left corner and a little backlight bleed in the top right corner. So what is acceptable then for both?

IPS bisector glow is a normal trait. Backlight bleed is a fault and very little, if any at all, is acceptable.

IPS bisector glow is a normal trait. Backlight bleed is a fault and very little, if any at all, is acceptable.

Good answer. And I like that term, "bisector glow". It appears that you just coined a new term... Google only returns this one result for it! Could you explain why you have called it bisector glow?

Good answer. And I like that term, "bisector glow". It appears that you just coined a new term... Google only returns this one result for it! Could you explain why you have called it bisector glow?

A few books and papers that I looked through described bisector light leakage of IPS LCDs. Without proper education on the subject, I figured this was related to "white glow", though I have no way to confirm this.

Back