What is a VERY powerful 140mm fan?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I am looking to upgrade the primary intake fan on my Corsair 800D. I need this to be an extremely powerful fan because there are 4 exhaust fans (three 120mm on top, one 140mm in rear), in addition to the air exhausted out of my case by my videocards, yet I would still like to at least attempt to maintain positive air pressure in the case.

- I don't care about noise.
- I would like as much CFM and Static Pressure as possible (not interested in anything less than 100CFM, and would prefer much more)
- Ideally, i'd like the fan to draw no more than 20w (approx 1.67A @ 12V) so that I can put it on my fan controller.

800Dairflow.jpg

In the above pic, the fan I am looking to upgrade would be the main intake for Cooling Zone 3. I'm currently using this fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200067

That rosewill fan was very highly recommended, but it quickly became clear that I made a mistake buying it. 90CFM is pretty pathetic for a 140mm fan, and even at full blast and all my other fans turned off I still can't hear it. Obviously I have plenty of room to get a louder fan with more airflow.

Noctua NF-A14 industrial PPC 3000 PWM would be the perfect choce, 140mm 158.50CFM 0.55A (6.6W) 41dbA. I would go straight with that..

Noctua fans are very powerful and push a lot of air etc. get one of those. Anything above 1500rpm is loud though, anything above 2000rpm very loud and 3000rpm is extremely loud like a hairdryer.

The Noctua Industrial's are very good the motors though are noisy even at lower RPM, if you're ok with that then these are a good bet currently as they are very strong and thin enough for an intake fan.

The Silverstone FHP141 has a quiet motor at any RPM and pushes tons of air, though there are dead spots in the RPM range on the high setting. It will go from 500-1000, then jump straight to 1800-2000. The low setting has full range between 500-1200. This was on PWM though, it might be different with a fan controller. I prefer mobo auto control. Though too thick for intake in your setup. Though as an exhaust fan the noise is bad if put in front of a honeycomb grill.

I just ordered some of these to give them a try. Lots of air, good static pressure, and a quiet motor are my priorities. We shall see if the motors are quiet.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835345070

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses!

Noctua NF-A14 industrial PPC 3000 PWM would be the perfect choce, 140mm 158.50CFM 0.55A (6.6W) 41dbA. I would go straight with that..

Looks like a great fan compared to the ones i've been looking at. It still seems to be aimed at low noise levels though, which makes me wonder how much more airflow I could find in a fan not designed with that as a primary goal.

Noctua fans are very powerful and push a lot of air etc. get one of those. Anything above 1500rpm is loud though, anything above 2000rpm very loud and 3000rpm is extremely loud like a hairdryer.

I'm already running some 120mm 134CFM Scythe "Ultra Kaze" fans as exhaust fans on the top of my case. Though they are on my fan controller and I turn them down at idle. Even at full blast most 120mm or greater fans are still worlds quieter than the nearly 60dB 60-92mm fans that I used years ago. Only that ~300CFM San Ace that was linked compares to those smaller fans in terms of noise.

Of course noise and loudness are incredibly subjective. I've obviously become accustomed to lots of background noise.

There is a Silverstone 140mm dual ball bearing fan that does 171cfm.
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-fan-fhp141

Looks like a great fan, unfortunately it uses 120mm mounting holes, I need a fan with 140mm mounting holes.

The 286CFM version pulls 2.7amps which is a bit much for my fan controller, but the model just below it that does 208CFM at 1.25A looks promising. It doesn't seem to be sold by newegg or amazon though.

Isn't that a 38mm thick Fan?

isn't this even worse at 51mm thick?.
The Silverstone FHP141 has a quiet motor at any RPM and pushes tons of air, though there are dead spots in the RPM range on the high setting. It will go from 500-1000, then jump straight to 1800-2000. The low setting has full range between 500-1200. This was on PWM though, it might be different with a fan controller. I prefer mobo auto control. Though too thick for intake in your setup. Though as an exhaust fan the noise is bad if put in front of a honeycomb grill.

Where the fan is going to be mounted in my Corsair 800D, there is essentially no limit on fan thickness. It's just an empty compartment (Cooling Zone 1 in the above pic) in front of the PSU. The fan is mounted to the bottom of the barrier between Zone 1 and Zone 3

Last edited:
Where the fan is going to be mounted in my Corsair 800D, there is essentially no limit on fan thickness. It's just an empty compartment (Cooling Zone 1 in the above pic) in front of the PSU. The fan is mounted to the bottom of the barrier between Zone 1 and Zone 3

Gotcha. In that case, thick fans are a great bet.

Looks like a great fan, unfortunately it uses 120mm mounting holes, I need a fan with 140mm mounting holes.

Just to note, that silverstone comes with clips that screw on for mounting in 140mm spots as well.

Just to note, that silverstone comes with clips that screw on for mounting in 140mm spots as well.

That would be awesome, and would fit my needs quite well if that were the case. Are you sure that these clips come stock though? I've checked on Newegg, Amazon, and the product's own page at the Silverstone website and none have any mention of these clips and no clips are seen in any of the accessory photos.

Ouch. As badass as that fan is, $90 per fan is a bit much. Especially if that Silverstone works out, as it only does ~35CFM less and costs <$20.

I am having flash backs to those 92mm Vantec Tornado fans from back in the day.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That would be awesome, and would fit my needs quite well if that were the case. Are you sure that these clips come stock though? I've checked on Newegg, Amazon, and the product's own page at the Silverstone website and none have any mention of these clips and no clips are seen in any of the accessory photos

I got mine from Amazon a few days ago and they came with them in the fan box. You should be all good bro. The clips where they screw in are metal threaded so they won't strip or come loose easy. They are pretty awesome fans.

RaGdIhq.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking to upgrade the primary intake fan on my Corsair 800D. I need this to be an extremely powerful fan because there are 4 exhaust fans (three 120mm on top, one 140mm in rear), in addition to the air exhausted out of my case by my videocards, yet I would still like to at least attempt to maintain positive air pressure in the case.

- I don't care about noise.
- I would like as much CFM and Static Pressure as possible (not interested in anything less than 100CFM, and would prefer much more)
- Ideally, i'd like the fan to draw no more than 20w (approx 1.67A @ 12V) so that I can put it on my fan controller.

800Dairflow.jpg

In the above pic, the fan I am looking to upgrade would be the main intake for Cooling Zone 3. I'm currently using this fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200067

That rosewill fan was very highly recommended, but it quickly became clear that I made a mistake buying it. 90CFM is pretty pathetic for a 140mm fan, and even at full blast and all my other fans turned off I still can't hear it. Obviously I have plenty of room to get a louder fan with more airflow.
I don't think you will will be able to maintain positive air pressure with a setup like that unless you get a ridiculously powerful and loud 140mm fan.

A simpler choice would be to simply flip the 3 fans on the top of zone 3 to intake rather than exhaust. This leaves 4 intakes, 1 exhaust from the mounted rear fan and additional exhaust provided by the video cards. This would almost assuredly result in the positive pressure you are looking for. If you have a watercooling setup, I would mount that radiator to the top and you would likely get better temps too since it would be relying on cool intake air unaffected by the case's internals. If you needed additional exhaust, you could either get a separate PCI slot fan or flip the PSU so it was sucking air from inside the case (this may require that bottom 140mm be flipped to exhaust or removed altogether).

I don't think you will will be able to maintain positive air pressure with a setup like that unless you get a ridiculously powerful and loud 140mm fan.

A simpler choice would be to simply flip the 3 fans on the top of zone 3 to intake rather than exhaust. This leaves 4 intakes, 1 exhaust from the mounted rear fan and additional exhaust provided by the video cards. This would almost assuredly result in the positive pressure you are looking for. If you have a watercooling setup, I would mount that radiator to the top and you would likely get better temps too since it would be relying on cool intake air unaffected by the case's internals. If you needed additional exhaust, you could either get a separate PCI slot fan or flip the PSU so it was sucking air from inside the case (this may require that bottom 140mm be flipped to exhaust or removed altogether).

doing that would go against the natural path of heat. it rises. top fans should be exhaust. also, having a rad dump all the hot air back into the case is never good. makes everything run hotter. however, turning the rear fan to intake and leaving the top 3 exhaust might be beneficial.

A simpler choice would be to simply flip the 3 fans on the top of zone 3 to intake rather than exhaust.

The case has a large removable dust filter along the bottom that I'd like to keep making use of. Having that bottom fan as my main intake also keeps cold, dust-free air blowing right at the GPU air intakes. Right now my rear 140mm exhaust is one of the low-RPM stock corsair fans and is on automatic control via the motherboard. My top three 120mm exhaust fans are all on my manual fan controller and are usually turned down if not needed, and can even be fully turned off. So even with so many exhaust fans vs the single intake fan, I should have enough control to make positive pressure work. Of course I would like to actually be able to use my exhaust fans :)

I got mine from Amazon a few days ago and they came with them in the fan box.

Thanks for the picture, that is very informative.

Last edited:
I know Delta makes a 140x140x38 fan that hits 367CFM and 75dBA. LOL Who needs a hair dryer when you can just stick your head in front of your PC's exhaust fan. ;)

The Mouser on-line catalog search is one of the best ones out there. It can find suitable fans based on size, noise, brand, voltage, RPM, etc.

With how many cfm of air will be coming in through that intake, it'll probably mostly fly past your GPUs--it'll be like a windtunnel. lol

That said, I'm sure your GPUs will get some of that air--with all the turbulence, at least some should come from that fan. In fact, I would probably leave any vents directly below the gpus without fans, so that some air from that monster of a fan naturally comes across the front of the GPUs.

Look for used server fans on eBay. Delta is one brand. They are jet plane powerful though...

That would be awesome, and would fit my needs quite well if that were the case. Are you sure that these clips come stock though? I've checked on Newegg, Amazon, and the product's own page at the Silverstone website and none have any mention of these clips and no clips are seen in any of the accessory photos.

I got mine from Amazon a few days ago and they came with them in the fan box. You should be all good bro. The clips where they screw in are metal threaded so they won't strip or come loose easy. They are pretty awesome fans.

RaGdIhq.jpg

To echo rive22's finding, all FHP141 on sale now (V2.0 or later) should have those clips included. If for some reason, you bought one recently and didn't have those, feel free to contact us directly to get them.

To echo rive22's finding, all FHP141 on sale now (V2.0 or later) should have those clips included. If for some reason, you bought one recently and didn't have those, feel free to contact us directly to get them.

Tony,

Do the newer fans address the RPM adjuster switch issues? Many people were getting fans that forced the fan into highspeed or low-speed mode, or the switch would break after one or two uses.

When I put a rad in my case, I ended up changing the two top to intake (for the rad, much lower temps), the rear intake as well for the AIO on my GPU and the front two fans exhaust, works great, mobo and HDD temps have not really changed much either with the change.
doing that would go against the natural path of heat. it rises. top fans should be exhaust. also, having a rad dump all the hot air back into the case is never good. makes everything run hotter. however, turning the rear fan to intake and leaving the top 3 exhaust might be beneficial.

Do you have any idea how meaningless that natural rise of heat is to airflow in a case with forced airflow? Air path and proper flow matter, how heat rises does not unless you are running a totaly passive system, SPCR did something like this a while back and found anything with over a 500RPM fan, air path and cable management are all that mattered, and running less than 500-800RPM was pointless from a cooling/noise point of view, as the human ear could not pick up anything and temp drop from adding a single 500rpm fan to a passive system resulted in large temp drops.

Do you have any idea how meaningless that natural rise of heat is to airflow in a case with forced airflow? Air path and proper flow matter, how heat rises does not unless you are running a totaly passive system

^^ So much this!

In my personal opinion, I favor silence, and if you only have 1 fan in taking vs 3 exhaust you won't maintain positive pressure. My favorite two fans are from Phanteks and Be Quiet! However noctua is known for their fans being top of the line in terms of performance.

I had 12 of the Delta 120x120x38 fans that ran about 260 CFM, those things were great. I bought 2 400+ CFM fans and they were overkill.

I also have used some of these, back when Petra was still running his shop.

Both the Deltas and Sunons work really well with Rheobus fan controllers, but you will need some good ones like this.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In my personal opinion, I favor silence, and if you only have 1 fan in taking vs 3 exhaust you won't maintain positive pressure. My favorite two fans are from Phanteks and Be Quiet! However noctua is known for their fans being top of the line in terms of performance.

Conventional wisdom does not apply when you're running a 250+ CFM monster as an intake. ;)
But yeah, if you want silence, you probably wouldn't be able to maintain positive pressure with 1 intake and 3 exhaust.

Get like a dozen of those old school Delta fans we used on Cyrix cpus back in the day.

I went ahead and bought a FHP-141. I'll see how that goes as an intake fan and go from there. I'm also considering getting dust filters for the top of the case (800D), which solves the only issue preventing me from turning the top three fans into intake fans.

Damn that is a pretty good deal, too bad they are 120mm not 140mm. I already have a pair of 120mm Delta FFB1212EH fans that i'm keeping aside to potentially use as push fans on my h100i GTX, if I need to.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back