• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What is a TN Panel?

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 17, 2000
Messages
1,875
On another forum someone posted I get the screendoor effect because I have a TN Panel and that it's typical for a TN panel, 16.2 million colours. You get the response time, but you lose some colour depth. What are they talking about? I bought an AOpen F90ES 19" LCD yesterday.
 
On TN panels the pixels look bigger (like squares), so when you look at it closely it resembles looking through a screen door. 8-bit MVA panels don't have this effect, which is why they have better image quality, not to mention their true 16.7 million colors and better viewing angles.

For a complete definiton of TN panels..... Google is your friend... :)
 
dave343 said:
On another forum someone posted I get the screendoor effect because I have a TN Panel and that it's typical for a TN panel, 16.2 million colours. You get the response time, but you lose some colour depth. What are they talking about? I bought an AOpen F90ES 19" LCD yesterday.

X bit labs has a good breakdown of the various lcd technologies (TN, IPS, MVA, PVA).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide.html

Basically, Twisted Nematic (TN) is the oldest lcd technology but costs the least to manufacturer. Here's the skinny on TN:

-262k colors (18 bit) real colors but with using Frame Rate Control, simulate 16.2 million colors. Any monitor that says 16.2 million colors is TN. 16.7 million colors are IPS panels or PVA/MVA.

-TN monitors have poorer viewing angles. From off center, TN monitor's image turns black, especially immediately from below. Viewing angles typically 160 degrees.

-TN with overdrive have the fastest response time so far. The fastest LCD monitors use TN technology.

-TN has nothing to do with pixel size.

-TN dead pixels tend to be lit up, unlike IPS panels with tend to have black dead pixels.
 
I took the LCD back for the Samsung 740B DVI LCD. Let me say the Samsung blows the AOpen out of the water hands down. The image quality is 100 fold better, glad we returned the AOpen. It's a 17" not like the AOpen 19" but I'd rather have a really nive 17" then a crappy 19".
 
Back
Top