What is a simple WMV file merger? Preferably shareware or freeware

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I have tried Boilsoft and Ultra video joiner. Both of them has a audio delay mismatch. Now I know I posted this question a few yr. ago, but I'm hoping after all these years, there are newer software to simply merge a few WMV video files and be sure the audio is not mismatch (there is delay) with the video

any recommendation ?

The recommendation I would make and I'm sure I'm not alone in this is simple: stop using WMV for any and all purposes except perhaps converting WMV files to something that's more useful and easier to work with in the first place. ;)

Seriously, it's old, it's dead, it's useless in today's world for pretty much everything and even Microsoft knows it hence them supporting MP4 and MKV native playback in Windows 10 nowadays. Your best bet is to find use a tool like HandBrake to work with and get with the new millennium by using the most common containers nowadays which happen to be MP4 and MKV.

HandBrake should be able to convert WMV container files to an MP4 or MKV container then you can use tools like ffmpeg to join/merge the content without any issues at all rather simply. I was going to suggest that perhaps ffmpeg could concatenate aka join/merge the WMV files for you but it appears - because Microsoft likes being assholes most of the time - they chose to make some things with the WMV container simply untenable to other apps like ffmpeg and it just won't work well with that container so you need to convert the contents of the WMV containers/files you have to something else that's easier to work with. Yes there will be some quality loss when all this is said and done but at least when it is actually done you'll have containers you can play on most anything these days.

thanks. These are old WMV files that I just downloaded and want to merge them. I agree wmv is old.

I just try out Handbrake. What do you use for "Constant Quality"? I just need the equivalent of the original quality of the WMV file. The default is 20, when I set it at 20, the output MP4 is at 110.234MB whereas my original WMV file is 141.689MB. What do you think?

I think it's working exactly as it's supposed to work because by default HandBrake is using h.264 compression for the video stream which is more efficient than whatever was being used to compress the video stream inside the WMV container, probably WMV9 or something from years ago. The end result of your work will leave you with smaller files that should have roughly the same visual quality, if you want to improve the final result you can alter the CRF from 20 to 18 but don't go lower than that or the final encode might be larger than the original file itself.

If you don't care about space but want to get the best quality from the transcode (something that really shouldn't be done but in this situation you're not left with much choice) you could even try 17 or 16 but I think 18 would probably be worth at least one encode to see the results, if a file encoded at 18 looks like 20 and vice versa, stick with 20 and be done with it.

Well, whatever the video quality of the original WMV will be fine. I can't see how can HandBrake makes it better than the original WMV. So I'll try 18 to see if there is a noticeable difference.

I'll let you know, thank you again

I finally have time to test setting 18 and 16 compares to 20. The file size is as follow:

WMV 64MB
setting 20 95 MB
Setting 16 115Mb

But the strange thing is, the girl in setting 16, her skin tone is noticeably more pale, and the video file btwn. setting 20 and 18, I can't tell a difference. So in the end, I stay w/ 20

Thanks again for helping out

Back