What Intel proc is on par with this?

OniFactor

Limp Gawd
Okay, so, my AMD box has a Phenom II X6 1045T in it.. and i'm thinking about building a similarly powered Intel box for the fun of it. What processor would be close in terms of power consumption, and computing power? No need for any K processors, it won't be overclocked. (..that's right, right? the K's are the unlocked ones?)

Taking a look at anadtech and picking the closest processor they have to yours it looks like a sandy/ivy i3 will beat it in singlethreaded tasks but lose to it in highly multithreaded tasks.

If you want something that will match or better it in everything you are looking at an i5.

Okay, so, my AMD box has a Phenom II X6 1045T in it.. and i'm thinking about building a similarly powered Intel box for the fun of it. What processor would be close in terms of power consumption, and computing power? No need for any K processors, it won't be overclocked. (..that's right, right? the K's are the unlocked ones?)

I switched from a OC 3.2ghz 1045T to the 2500K OC 4.8ghz and unless your encoding or something similar, for gaming I saw no difference really.(might make a difference in a game or 2 that doesnt use more then 4 cores)

But I also built it for the fun of it and have no regrets. I just made the 1045T a backup comp but serves as part of my home lab.

Really depends on what you're doing...

And why are you looking at a sidegrade? Shouldn't you be looking for an upgrade?

3820..or low-end Sandy/Ivy quadcore+ lowend p67/z68/z77 mobo.Y not just overclock that chip? new motherboard + cooler..good to go!

What are the specs of your system?
If you can get it to 3.2-3.5 it would do really well.

Taking a look at anadtech and picking the closest processor they have to yours it looks like a sandy/ivy i3 will beat it in singlethreaded tasks but lose to it in highly multithreaded tasks.

If you want something that will match or better it in everything you are looking at an i5.

+1xinfiniti

I switched from a OC 3.2ghz 1045T to the 2500K OC 4.8ghz and unless your encoding or something similar, for gaming I saw no difference really.(might make a difference in a game or 2 that doesnt use more then 4 cores)

But I also built it for the fun of it and have no regrets. I just made the 1045T a backup comp but serves as part of my home lab.

honestly, i want to try to stay away from OCing right now, unless it's 100 percent necessary, just to not have to futz with things.

Really depends on what you're doing...

And why are you looking at a sidegrade? Shouldn't you be looking for an upgrade?

it's a general purpose machine.. currently i game on it, (BF3, warZ, Dishonored, MWO) run lightroom to process sony .raw files, rip and encode movies. the sidegrade is more because i'm very interested in being able to utilize intel's thunderbolt technology. it's one of the few reasons i've thought about buying a mac, recently

3820..or low-end Sandy/Ivy quadcore+ lowend p67/z68/z77 mobo.Y not just overclock that chip? new motherboard + cooler..good to go!

again.. the chip's power isn't the problem, it's that i'm looking for a feature that's not available from AMD currently, namely thunderbolt.

What are the specs of your system?
If you can get it to 3.2-3.5 it would do really well.

Full specs are:

AMD Phenom II x6 1045t at stock clock
ECS A785GM-AD3 black edition mobo
Thermaltake TR2-R1 heatsink
12GB DDR3 at 12800 and matching timings, in the form of 2x4gb (mushkin enhanced blackline) and 2x2gb (crucial ballistix sport)
XFX Double-D Radeon HD 7750 Black Edition
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
60GB Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe for Windows 7 Home Premium install, plus a few games
2x1Tb Seagate Barracuda Green

again.. it's not that this build isn't powerful enough, i'd just like some features that are intel-only for the near future.

...man. i knew the z77 chipset boards that have TB were expensive.. i was hoping that something similar in power to the 1045T would be closer to the 150 dollar range, not 200..

i may just have to wait it out, and see how the Asus ThunderboltEX progresses... but i don't know how long that will be..

You got an SSD yet? If not get that, because your CPU is probably being bottle-necked by your HD playa. Don't waste money on a CPU until u upgrade your HD. I thnk if u had an SSD u wouldnt have made this thread ;)

EDIT just read ur specs, ok I would go bigger SSD capacity, could go alittle [H]arder on teh GPU. My advice. Prob be least expensive TB mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thunderbolt-compatible_devices

Last edited:
What will you be using Thunderbolt for? As far as I know, very few things require the bandwidth of Thunderbolt, and most things are easily covered by USB 3.0 and eSATA. I see absolutely no point in a sidegrade just for thunderbolt capabilities. Cost of entry is high, and benefits are little.

the pros to me are the daisy chaining, the ability to use an Apple Cinema display, are the two biggest attractions to me. i'm a huge fan of single cable solutions

Okay. But it sounds like you're not a big enough fan to spend the money.

Back