What Intel CPU do you miss?

merlin704

The Great Procrastinator
I saw a thread in the AMD forum that made me think about this. The thread was " I miss the AMD mobiles.". I wanted to reply with an Intel CPU but of course, wrong forum. I was going to say I miss my old P4 1.6A. Man those would overclock. I remember getting mine to 2.9Ghz air-cooled.:D

So what CPU do you miss?

How about Dual Celeron 300As clocked at 466Mhz? It sure wipped my dual P1 133s and it was my best overclock %.

I had dual cores for quite a few years and for all but 1 upgrade I had for 3 months every single machine I have had since 1994 has had 2 or more cores...

I loved my celeron 333@550mhz, great setup with some Voodoo II's at that time.

I still own my original P1 166mmx that would run at 250mhz but hot like a mofo!!

def the 300A or any PIII slot chips was always tinkering with those things...

I really miss my Intel 80286 box. It was an IBM AT clone.

I purchased a Intel 80286 reference manual, and started coding in assembler. It was so much fun.

Then I learned C, and bought a $150.00 Microsoft QuickC IDE, and upgraded the system to 640K of RAM.

Man, it is almost enough to make me tear eyed.

absolutly none of them. I like what I have now a whole lot better.

The one I miss the most was my E4300, ran at 3.0GHz stock volts and cooling from day one, and I hear its still going strong.

300A @ 466 or 504 on a real cold day! Going from a P1 120 the celery was incredible!

When i read the title, the first thing that popped in my mind was my 300a @ 450 on a Soyo 6ba+III

PIII-S (Tualatin) 1.4GHz.

I bought one on ebay that happened to be unlocked. I ran it at 8x200 on an ST6. I had to give up USB, and use a promise ultra133 hard drive card, as the PCI bus speed made the usb and onboard hdd controllers take a shist.

If that board took more than 512MB ram, I might be running it today. I seriously think the only reason my E2160 is faster (at stock speeds), is the second core.

I liked the old P2 bricks. Those things made installs of today seem so trivial.

Hmm... P4 1.3GHz...Celeron 633... Unlocked P2-400... umm...no. A 2.7GHz Celeron ... only because I could almost never get rid of it no matter how hard I tried.

I really miss my Intel 80286 box. It was an IBM AT clone.

I purchased a Intel 80286 reference manual, and started coding in assembler. It was so much fun.

Then I learned C, and bought a $150.00 Microsoft QuickC IDE, and upgraded the system to 640K of RAM.

Man, it is almost enough to make me tear eyed.

Question is... how much to you pay for that ram?

I remember around the time I had a 286 the memory industry was going through a price crash. Lucky for me. :D

At the place I worked at the time (a medium computer manufacturer), before the crash I think they were selling 256Kbx1 DIP memory for $8-$9 each. That wasn't an expensive price either. You needed 36 chips on a board for 1MB, including parity. Ouch, around $300/MB. Prices went down especially after more boards started using 256Kbx4 memory sockets (12 chips including parity), or the trickier higher density memory mounted on a small circuit board that straddled two sockets. I think I still have some of those weird memory chips in a box.

I sort of miss my Coppermine S370 Pentium-3 700Mhz. It came stock with a 100Mhz FSB, I could overclock it to 933Mhz just by changing the FSB to 133Mhz, and I could do that using the stock heatsink (which was about the size of a modern day northbridge heatsink).

That was a pretty awesome chip to have, that was around when the first Athlon's were coming out and were all the rage. I think an Athlon 800 was one of the killer systems at the time, so running my P3 at 933 (Along with my Geforce256) was pretty savage.

The one I miss the most was my E4300, ran at 3.0GHz stock volts and cooling from day one, and I hear its still going strong.

Funny you should say that.

When I upgraded from my E4300 to a Q6600, I thought, man this sucker shure OCs well, so i kept it.

I am happy I did, I have it now on a Windows Home Server setup, and the sucker does not even work up a swet.

If I ever build a HTPC I will pull out that E4300 and put it to better use, and by a e2xxx for the windows home server,

That what a long time ago. IIRC I needed 9 128Kb (8x128Kb = 128KB + parity) chips to take it from 512KB to a full 640KB. And I think it cost around $100 Canadian.

Uhmm something must be wrong, cause that would be $800 for about 1Meg or $0.8 Million for 1 GIg!!! Or is my math screwed up?

Back