What Impact Does Memory Have On Recording?

Uncle Jim

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
318
I am planning to, eventually, build a new PC as I get more involved in audio processing and mixing (Cubase, Soundforge, plugins). Planning to get a core duo and an asus mobo but I am all confused by the memory choice...

Will be 4x512MB dual channel DDR 2 better then 2x1GB single?

Do you have some memory recommendation (other then: "the more the happier")

I know this thread might belong to the Memory forum, but I need advice from you people doing music not those OC experts down there:D

Thanks! JiM
 
right, if its dual channel in both cases. i meant how does 4x512MB dual compare to 2x1GB single?
 
anything above 1gb of ram will be just fine for most audio mixing, so you won't notice any difference at all.....
 
Using four sticks may put you back into T2 memory timing, which is not ideal from a performance perspective, but may be preferable from a stability perspective. My recommendation is 2x1 GB for future upgradability. From my own minimal testing, I do know that Pro Tools does benefit from greater than 2 GB of RAM, and it's common to see up to 8 GB used in large-scale systems for HD. Cubase and other similar programs would probably benefit from gobs of RAM as well.

If you're doing any PC sampling, the more RAM you have, the more samples you can have loaded for immediate playback. Extremely beneficial.
 
Plus with 4x512MB of RAM in theory you have double the chance of memory failure issues than with 2x1GB.
 
Back
Top