• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What if, what if?

lesman

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
3,913
Hey, I have a stupid ass question, well, 2 stupid ass questions. here goes.
You know how you can can use fan controllers to regulate fan speed? Well I used it on a CCFL and it dimmed/brightened the light, now, what might happen if you hooked a hard drive up to one? I am in no way in hell ever gonna try it, but what might happen? Will the hard drive simply slow down, or will it just shut down?

Question2: Ok, you know how there are optic connections for sound systems? Couldn't there be optical connections for other things? Like USB cables, or even video signals? If the optical signal is so pure and noise free, why wouldn't they use that type of connection for video??? Just odd questions that have been jumping around in my mind for some time, hope to get some answers! Thanks.
 
lesman said:
Hey, I have a stupid ass question, well, 2 stupid ass questions. here goes.
You know how you can can use fan controllers to regulate fan speed? Well I used it on a CCFL and it dimmed/brightened the light, now, what might happen if you hooked a hard drive up to one? I am in no way in hell ever gonna try it, but what might happen? Will the hard drive simply slow down, or will it just shut down?

Question2: Ok, you know how there are optic connections for sound systems? Couldn't there be optical connections for other things? Like USB cables, or even video signals? If the optical signal is so pure and noise free, why wouldn't they use that type of connection for video??? Just odd questions that have been jumping around in my mind for some time, hope to get some answers! Thanks.
Question2=answer
Optical is used to read and interpet signals...don't think it would be good enough for video but I could be wrong. I tried to google it but found jackshit.
:confused:
 
lesman said:
Hey, I have a stupid ass question, well, 2 stupid ass questions. here goes.
You know how you can can use fan controllers to regulate fan speed? Well I used it on a CCFL and it dimmed/brightened the light, now, what might happen if you hooked a hard drive up to one? I am in no way in hell ever gonna try it, but what might happen? Will the hard drive simply slow down, or will it just shut down?

Question2: Ok, you know how there are optic connections for sound systems? Couldn't there be optical connections for other things? Like USB cables, or even video signals? If the optical signal is so pure and noise free, why wouldn't they use that type of connection for video??? Just odd questions that have been jumping around in my mind for some time, hope to get some answers! Thanks.


1) You woudl cause data probems very quickly. If the 12v sagged enough the spindle speed would drop and cause all kinds of sync errors.. if the 5v dropped low enough i'd imageing you would have controller issues on the drive itself

2) Optical could be used for other things like you listed, but the conversion hardware woudld most likely be very expensive. Another thign to remember is the optical cables (fiber) are rather delicate. A third issue is safety. You dont want home users stareing into teh laser used with most fiber products because it can cause eye damage.
 
Yeah, true, but since the signal is so clean and lossless, then I think it would be able to do great things for video. That would be badass to see an "optical out" on your DVD player and an "optical in" on your TV...but for video.
 
lesman said:
Yeah, true, but since the signal is so clean and lossless, then I think it would be able to do great things for video. That would be badass to see an "optical out" on your DVD player and an "optical in" on your TV...but for video.

Over the 6 feet most runs are i think it would make very little diffrence in the long run. Another thing to keep in mind is that optical connections can be a little more difficult than plain old vga/dvi/hdmi/composit/componetnt. I know i have seen optical audio connections that were not working due to exessive dust in the connector.
 
when sending digital data optical is worthless for audio for anything under miles in length. It's all just marketing crap.
 
Whatsisname said:
when sending digital data optical is worthless for audio for anything under miles in length. It's all just marketing crap.
I take it miles = 100Meters?
 
Back
Top