What If The Internet Went Down?

The same that happens when the power goes out once in a while. Read a book. Go outside. Do something else. People need to sit down once in a while and think about whats really important.

I agree until you sit down. Get out side and think about what's important. ;)

This is why i play board games, with no internet, i still have my family's farm. And i have all the boardgames i need. Works for when the power is out to.

I have thought of one benefit... to consumers... EA couldn't require you to have a perm internet connection to play the games you have paid a fortune for anymore. ;)

Of course the downside... the ones you already bought would be screwed... :mad:

Thats' when single player games start becoming much more desirable. And people start inviting friends over to play xbox/ps like I did back in my NES days. I know I would stop playing BF3 and start on Arkham City and stuff like that.

This is what I did when I was on a 64k ISDN connection, probably going to have to do it again, as my best available broadband option where I'm moving to, is 3Mbps at best, 1.5Mbps is the only other option.

haha yeah the way they drive. i think seattle got like 3-4 inches. theyre absolutely terrible cold-weather drivers.

Actually, some people already had 14" yesterday, and it was still comming down.
Today, they have freezing rain. have you ever tried driving on streets covered in ice? Or do you like playing bumper cars....

Deaths could occur, they'd just be the exception rather than the rule (at least immediately). The reality isn't mass deaths but massive destruction of the economy. The new communication reality would cause many companies to go bankrupt. I'd say it would spur a full on worldwide economic depression. Unemployment rates would jump 20-30% easily if not more. People wouldn't have to worry about travelling to meetings or trouble-shoot because the companies probably wouldn't exist to travel to meet. Business would slow to a crawl and prices of goods would jump to double their current levels. Everything would be affected ... everything, period. Even if a person's business didn't rely on the internet directly, many of their suppliers or customers no doubt did. House construction, for instance, is not a big internet based operation ... but the people buying aren't all working in similar fields.

It really depends on why it went down.

If it's a short term problem (a few days) it won't be too big of a deal.

But if it's a long term issue, like the massive EM pulse in the series "Falling Skies" that fried all electronics, then it would be even worse than you described. (no internet, no Cable, no TV, no radio, etc)

How about VOIP phones? Depending on who your SIP provider is, you could lose phone service. Someone might die without the ability to dial 911 or an extended response due to finding a land line.

I'd post a video of a Simpson's episode where Itchy & Scratchy was canceled and children went outside to play and were quite happy to show a parallel between that and what would happen if the internet went down but I'm taking one for the team in case SOPA/PIPA gets passed as I don't want [H] to go down.

Thank you for your time

I have a golden hand gun in a fire extinguisher brake glass case at the ready to shoot my self in the head if the internet ever goes offline.

Actually, some people already had 14" yesterday, and it was still comming down.
Today, they have freezing rain. have you ever tried driving on streets covered in ice? Or do you like playing bumper cars....

i doubt it in the city. i lived there for the last 4 years and right across the water for 10 more and never got more than 6". of course, you can quickly get into the mountains in 15 or 20 minutes and thats a different story. and no, i have not tried driving in streets covered in ice. thats exactly the problem. everyone in seattle thinks they can drive their fwd midsize sedan all over a very hilly city just fine because they only have a few inches. but theyre wrong every time because theres always ice. all you have to do is watch one of those videos of 10 cars in a row crashing or someone putting chains on the rear tires of their fwd sedan to know theyre retarded when it comes to winter driving.

Your last sense of freedom is online so if that happens then prepare for a civil war ;)

I'd spend more time tending to my veggie and herb garden, participating in community activities, and reduce my work spread from international to local. Hell, I'd even spend some time visiting a lot of local stores that I have a nasty habit of avoiding out of laziness :p

I had plenty to do before the internet came along.........and Im sure I can find lots of shit to do if it does. Sure I'll miss it, but I'll get over it!

I did survive without the internet for 4 days when apparently an underground fiber optic cable was damaged and it took the ISP that bloody long to fix it. As long as I still have my computer, I can access my games on Steam through offline modes, watch DVD, and read the book I bought in e-book format.

But if the power goes out, now that makes me want to punch babies and kill kittens.

I would go nuts. Although at times I don't have internet for days and I am fine..... But to never have internet, that would be awful.

The same that happens when the power goes out once in a while. Read a book. Go outside. Do something else. People need to sit down once in a while and think about whats really important.
Pushing a tire down the road with a stick and reading a book (which is space inefficient and wastes trees... get an e-reader already) are not important to me, and I'm already sitting down. ;)

Works for when the power is out to.
If the power is out briefly, I have three large UPSs in the house, and my laptop has its own internal battery for several hours use as does my smartphone.

If the power is out for an extended period (more than several hours), I have a Yamaha generator that is plugged into my house and activates at the flip of a switch after filling it with gas.

This is 2012, "the futures", there is no excuse for extended power or network interruptions for a [H]ardforumer. Get a backup or tether your phone. :D

I like the way this guy says "nobody would die" without the internet. He obviously doesn't know any [H] readers. There would be millions of us dropping like flies after a day or two with no intarwebs. :D

We all had lives before the internet, except for the kids.

If we get unhooked, then real human interaction would take
place. We've survived for thosands of years without it, we'd
do it again.

It really depends on why it went down.

If it's a short term problem (a few days) it won't be too big of a deal.

But if it's a long term issue, like the massive EM pulse in the series "Falling Skies" that fried all electronics, then it would be even worse than you described. (no internet, no Cable, no TV, no radio, etc)

True, if the internet went down, we could handle it in the short term
If the entire electric grid went down due to say a solar flare
then we'd be in big trouble. People would freeze
to death, hospitals could not function, industry would
stop, ect..

Now that would be a real problem, because you cant build new
power generators in a few days time.

If there was no internet, Sears would have the chance to ship out their catalog then, and regain all the ground they lost to Amazon.

Reading a book isn't very important.
troll+face.jpg

SMH @ all the people saying they would kill themselves without internet. Darwin: 1 You: 0

Now to keep back on topic of what if THE INTERNET went down and not power as well, there are tons of things to do. But it would royally suck for people like Azhar that has built a career with internet as the foundation. But SneakerNet will always survive. Especially now that we have 500gb hd's that's relatively the same size as the floppy disks we used to use.

It would suck, but I would resume my pre-1993 lifestyle - perusing books, encyclopedias and magazines for information, playing single player games, focusing even more on my MBA coursework, spending more time doing work in my shop and on my trucks, etc. I average less than 20 minutes per day on the internet as it is, so once I made the adjustments from online bill payments, etc., I could manage.
But it would still suck.

What if there was another "crisis" where evil cyberterrorist homegrown hackers "made the Internet crash" for a day or so? And then it was all conveniently blamed on groups like Anonymous and so forth and the government decided it was time to crack down?

Just a thought.

Internet down forever ? I'll go rob the computer hardware store from all its boxes of ethernet cable, then I would build a new internet :D

Short term like a day or two? Probably read a book, clean the house, walk the dog, or fix any random shit that might be broken.

Long term like a year or longer? Might have to subscribe to the local paper; set up a TV antenna for local breaking news or weather (no way I'm getting cable or satellite with the crap on TV these days); keep those phone books and catalogs around; stock up on some paper, envelopes, and stamps for mailing letters and bills; get an encyclopedia set (if I have the money) and get a library card.

I'd be living like a 20th century [strike=]schlub[/s] boss. :cool:

i doubt it in the city. i lived there for the last 4 years and right across the water for 10 more and never got more than 6". of course, you can quickly get into the mountains in 15 or 20 minutes and thats a different story.

I never said this was in Seattle, I only mentioned Washington state.
The location is a smaller city outside of Seattle.

I might actually get some work done at work instead of surfing the internet all day....

What if there was another "crisis" where evil cyberterrorist homegrown hackers "made the Internet crash" for a day or so? And then it was all conveniently blamed on groups like Anonymous and so forth and the government decided it was time to crack down?

Just a thought.

That is exactly what is happening :(

The problem is, once "anonymous" turn their attention to and disrupt something all these "I'd kill myself if the net went" kids use......they will actually "want" the government to step in and protect their precious internet.

It's so obvious it makes me wanna puke :(

One of the disadvantages of internet or let's say web, is that it widely contributed to population lazyness, everything can be served online, and the time they saved there, they spent on stupid sites eating all of that information smog and trash that is really going to halt our minds soon.

Not going to happen, the internet is way important to cease to exist, the whole world would suffer if the internet didn't exist anymore.

Back